Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Anyone have the parallax serial VFD working? (GU112X16G-7003) — Parallax Forums

Anyone have the parallax serial VFD working? (GU112X16G-7003)

datac99datac99 Posts: 15
edited 2008-03-07 22:19 in Propeller 1
I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong here, but I just get nothing or moving garbage on the display when I try to hook this display up. I got the display working with little trouble on the BS2 a while back using the provided demo code, but when I attempt to just port some basic stuff over to the prop it does not go well. First I tried adapting the Debug_LCD demo and that got me moving junk (Looks like it's trying but the wrong characters are coming out). Then writing a little test code using the basic serial driver and again I just seem to get what looks like cyrilic characters. But in this case the screen is filled with them so it does not seem to be mapping to the "Hello, World!" message I'm trying to send.

This is hooked up to a protoboard with 5v from the on board regulator and serial from pin 0. I'm pretty new to this stuff so I'm sorry if I end up waisting someones time, I'm sure I'm just making some sort of basic mistake.

CON

_clkmode = xtal1 + pll16x                             ' use crystal x 16
  _xinfreq = 5_000_000                                  ' 5 MHz cyrstal (sys clock = 80 MHz)

LCD_PIN   = 0                                         ' for Parallax 4x20 serial LCD on P0
  LCD_BAUD  = 19_200
  LCD_LINES = 2    

OBJ

serial : "Simple_Serial"

PUB main
  if serial.start(-1, LCD_PIN, LCD_BAUD)
    serial.str(string($1B, $40))                                             'init string from appnote
    waitcnt(clkfreq / 5 + cnt)
    serial.str(string($1F, $28, $77, $10, $01))                        'apparently more initialization?
    waitcnt(clkfreq / 5 + cnt)
    serial.str(string("Hello, World!"))

Comments

• datac99datac99 Posts: 15
    edited 2008-03-07 20:09
    So, assuming that I can get the VFD working with the basic stamp again, could I user the full duplex serial library to see what the stamp is sending that's different?
  • datac99datac99 Posts: 15
    edited 2008-03-07 22:01
    Okay, got something working... Seems to not even need the init string, but it was in the appnote so I left it. I guess the minimum baud is 38.4Kbps so simple serial is a lost cause.

'' Parallax Serial VFD (Noritake GU112X16G-7003)Test
    ''
    ''
    ''
    ''
    ''
    CON

_clkmode = xtal1 + pll16x                             ' use crystal x 16
      _xinfreq = 5_000_000                                  ' 5 MHz cyrstal (sys clock = 80 MHz)

VFD_PIN   = 2                                         ' serial VFD on P5
      VFD_BAUD  = 38400                                     ' minumum baud for display

OBJ

serial : "FullDuplexSerial"

PUB main
      if serial.start(1, VFD_PIN, 0, VFD_BAUD)
        serial.tx($1B)                                    ' init display
        serial.tx($40)                                    ' init display
        serial.str(string("Hello World!"))                ' send "Hello World!"

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
    edited 2008-03-07 22:19
    Are there baud rate jumpers on the diplay? I am not familiar with your exact display, but I have a bunch of Noritake serial VFD's, and they all have baud jumpers on the back.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.madlabs.info - Home of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Robot