Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
any irish hydra users here — Parallax Forums

any irish hydra users here

paddy303paddy303 Posts: 12
edited 2008-03-09 00:19 in Propeller 1
hi everyone, im just after getting my hydra development kit. i was wondering if there are any irish users out there, it would be great to meet other people to swap ideas and learn from each other....cheers

Comments

• AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2008-03-06 01:05
    We send a lot of units to Ireland actually. UK in general is a hot spot of course, 50% go to England, 30% go to Ireland, the remaing 20% to Scotland, with a couple now and then going to the channel islands which I am still not exactly sure who the heck controls them [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Andre'
  • QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
    edited 2008-03-06 22:40
    I have a Hydra and am from Ireland ..

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Necessity is the mother of invention'
  • paddy303paddy303 Posts: 12
    edited 2008-03-06 23:23
    cool, what part are you from, im in navan,co meath
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2008-03-08 05:30
    How is the retro scene in your neck of the woods? Would you say that people still play with 8-bit systems a lot? Does the average "computer user" know how to program or know about electronics or are they pretty non-technical?

Andre'
  • QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
    edited 2008-03-08 21:25
    AndreL,
    I am an speccy head - have a zx80,zx81,16k Spectrum,48K Spectrum,128k,128k+2 and 128K+3 .. Have various peripherals ... thermal printer,Currah Speech unit etc ..

With regards to retro computing - there seems to be quite a deal of interest round this neck of the woods among a few pals of mine - all are stuck in the technology sector as far as work goes but many pen emulators and so on in their spare time !

Saw one of your Xgamestations recently !

Regards,
    john Twomey

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Necessity is the mother of invention'
  • paddy303paddy303 Posts: 12
    edited 2008-03-09 00:19
    Hi AndreL,

············· I too have a few speccys, a c64, a few ataris including a lynx and a portfolio, I bought the portfolio cause I thought it was cool. Theres one in the Terminator 2 movie, some people say that it was one of the first palm size computers. As for interest in retro gaming, when i was much younger 9-10 a lot of my friends had computers-consoles, god knows where they are now. As computers got better and better the older ones got sold, hidden in attics etc. Now today everyone has a ps3 or an xbox. When you look on ebay.co.uk theres lots and lots of retro gear available, its unreal. The only bad thing is the sterling exchange rate, its pretty bad for us irish, and even worse for you in the USA. Iv always loved the good old 8 bit consoles. My fave game is bombjack, cant seem to find any info on it though, I think a company called namco made it for arcades. God I loved that game. I bought the Hydra cause I want to learn about programming retro games, Im only a newbie to programming and think this forum is great. I hope it along with your book will get me started,

··································································· cheers....patrick