Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Simple newbie questions — Parallax Forums

Simple newbie questions

Beagle123Beagle123 Posts: 1
edited 2008-03-02 19:17 in Propeller 1
Hi all:

I can't find anything about ADC inputs to the propeller chip.· So it doesn't have any ADC inputs?

According to the datasheet, its a 3.3v chip, and the pins can tolerate up to 3.6v (plus or minus 0.3v).· So If I'm using other 5v haardware how do interface it?· For example if I use the ADC chip at 5v, can I just connect the outputs directly to the pins eventhough the propeller datassheet says that its over the limit?

The data sheet aslo say that the chip can handle about 100mA current (and 1 watt).· Does that mean that I must use a resistor to limit the current?· If I connected the output of a 3.3v voltage converter directly to the power pin would that be bad?· Please advise.

I have a hall sensor that aabsolutely needs 5v or it will puke strange numbers.· So I have to run it at 5v.· Can its output be connected directly to a propeller pin?· Should I add a resistor?

That's actually a general question I have about all electronic components.· WHen their datasheet gives "maximum" limits for current does that meaan I have to use resistors to create that current?· HOw can I tell what a component needs?·

If I hook up a battery directly, will it just fry all this stuff?

Thanks in advance

Eric

·

Comments

• LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2008-03-02 10:41
    You clearly need some knowledge of basic electronics. Reading The Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill would be a good start.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
    Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle

Post Edited (Leon) : 3/2/2008 10:46:25 AM GMT
  • ClemensClemens Posts: 236
    edited 2008-03-02 10:51
    In the hardware stickies of this forum check out HOW TO SAFELY INTERFACE A 5V SIGNAL TO THE PROPELLER?

The Propeller Education Kit Labs·sticky is a good source how to set up your circuits, see also the demoboard schematic pdf that is installed along with the Propeller Tool.

In the Education Labs you also find some examples of adc.

Post Edited (Clemens) : 3/2/2008 10:57:20 AM GMT
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2008-03-02 10:57
    Hi Eric,

Probably best you take a look at the hardware sticky (top of forum page, but here's the link anyway: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=667581

HTH.

Doh - Clemens can type quicker than me LOL

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
    BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif
  • stevenmess2004stevenmess2004 Posts: 1,102
    edited 2008-03-02 11:07
    Beagle123 said...
    I can't find anything about ADC inputs to the propeller chip. So it doesn't have any ADC inputs?
    Thats right. It doesn't have any ADCs. However it is easy to either hook up an external chip or make a sigma delta ADC using a couple of caps and resistors. Have a look at the AN0001 timer notes.

said...
    According to the datasheet, its a 3.3v chip, and the pins can tolerate up to 3.6v (plus or minus 0.3v). So If I'm using other 5v haardware how do interface it? For example if I use the ADC chip at 5v, can I just connect the outputs directly to the pins eventhough the propeller datassheet says that its over the limit?
    For most things you can just use a resistor in series with the input. If the pin is only going to be an output than you don't really need the resistor. Have a look at the sticky threads at the top of the propeller chip forum index.

said...
    The data sheet aslo say that the chip can handle about 100mA current (and 1 watt). Does that mean that I must use a resistor to limit the current? If I connected the output of a 3.3v voltage converter directly to the power pin would that be bad? Please advise.
    You don't need and shouldn't use a resistor on the power supply pins. Just attach them straight to the output of the regulator. However, it would be a good idea to connect some capicators between the 3.3V supply and ground.
    said...
    I have a hall sensor that aabsolutely needs 5v or it will puke strange numbers. So I have to run it at 5v. Can its output be connected directly to a propeller pin? Should I add a resistor?
    See above.
    said...
    If I hook up a battery directly, will it just fry all this stuff?
    Depends on the battery that you are using. If it is a single cell lipo than you can probably get away with it. However, it is a good idea to use a regulator if you have one. It would be an even better idea to use a plug pack as then you won't have to change batteries smile.gif Edit: I should add that you should use a regulator with a plug packsmile.gif
    said...
    That's actually a general question I have about all electronic components. WHen their datasheet gives "maximum" limits for current does that meaan I have to use resistors to create that current? HOw can I tell what a component needs?
    On data sheets you will often see a maximum current and voltage. You need to ensure that you don't go over these limits as you could fry your component if you do. To get a current you need a voltage difference and some kind of connection between the points that have a voltage difference. The connection between the two points will some level of resistance to current flow. For a wire this can be very low and for some resistors it can be extremely high. These three elements current(I), voltage(V) and resistance(R) are linked by this equation.
    V=IR
    or rearranging
    I=V/R
    Now say that you have one of the pins on your propeller hooked up to a resistor(1000ohms) connected to ground(0 volts) and the pin is set to output a 1(3.3V) than we have a voltage difference of 3.3V(3.3-0). If we plug this and the resistance into the formula above than we get a current of
    I=V/R=3.3/1000=3.3mA
    As the propeller can supply upto 50mA per pin this is will cause no problems at all.

To answer the second part of your question resistors don't really create current, its the voltage difference that creates current.

If you get a demo board than it comes with all the components needed to use your propeller. It will plug into a mouse, keyboard, tv, computer monitor, speakers/headphone and a microphone.

Edit: obviously I am the slowest typer of all smile.gif

Post Edited (stevenmess2004) : 3/2/2008 11:29:36 AM GMT
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2008-03-02 11:21
    stevenmess2004 said...
    ... obviously I am the slowest typer of all
    Indeed, hardly 2 touches per second smile.gif
    But this looks like a real candidate for a newbie sticky...
  • DroneDrone Posts: 433
    edited 2008-03-02 19:17
    @deSilva...

I agree "But this looks like a real candidate for a newbie sticky..."

I'd also like to see a sticky with your excellent work on powering the Prop with batteries. I know you've done a lot of work in this area.

Rgds, David