Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
6-bit color picture with 3 sorta sync'd VGA drivers — Parallax Forums

6-bit color picture with 3 sorta sync'd VGA drivers

RaymanRayman Posts: 14,223
edited 2008-03-02 19:28 in Propeller 1
This isn't perfect... But this code shows 6-bit color images using 3 VGA drivers (one each for red, blue, green channels).·

I have tried (with no luck) to get them perfectly sync'd but they are sorta sync'd.· If you look at the bottom of the screen, you should see a bunch of vertical white lines (if they were sync'd pefectly).· But, you'll notice it's not exact.

But, it turns out it's not so bad for an image...

A worse problem is that the color levels aren't perfect.· They should match VGA monitor levels of 0,85,170,255 in each channel (at least, in my opinion), but they don't.

Also, this uses up all available memory.· So, it's not terribly practical, except maybe as a splash screen...

Anyway, here's·a screenshot and code:
1920 x 1080 - 767K

Comments

• bambinobambino Posts: 789
    edited 2008-03-02 06:08
    Rayman Thats pretty neat, I think in the back of everyones mind was the thought of trying that, but this is the first I've seen it. When you say all the memory was used, are you reffering to the buffer or the code it took to sync them?
  • VIRANDVIRAND Posts: 656
    edited 2008-03-02 06:52
    I thought one cog driver was enough for 6-bit colors in VGA mode like that. I guess I need to read my manual again.

Post Edited (VIRAND) : 3/2/2008 6:59:38 AM GMT
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2008-03-02 11:50
    Please do! It's the chapters "tiles" and "VGA frequencies" smile.gif
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,223
    edited 2008-03-02 19:28
    I've just posted the Windows App that I used to create the 6-Bit Bitmap data on my website here:

http://www.rayslogic.com/propeller/Programming/6-Bit%20Bitmap%20App/6BitBitmap.htm

Just in case anybody wants to play around with showing there own photos.· I also put instructions there on how to use Photoshop to improve the result, although it's not required.

Bambino:· The image data alone for the 224x160 pixel example is about 27 kB, which is good fraction of the 32 kB of available main Prop RAM.

Still, I may use much smaller images in an app I have planned...· Tripling the VGA drivers doesn't take up much extra space, due to the way objects work...