Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Read from sequential file — Parallax Forums

Read from sequential file

PaulFPaulF Posts: 62
edited 2008-02-27 20:56 in Propeller 1
Hi,
as I'm new to the propellor chip and microcontrollers in general I'd like to know if it is possible by using the VDrive (Vinculum chip) to read a number of characters (8) from a large txt file (> 16Mb) located on a Thumb drive, beginning at a particular location, then consecutively read the next set of 8 characters and so on. I ask because I'm considering purchasing the VDrive for a project, but I'm not sure if this can be 'relatively' easily done. Are there any other better (easier) solutions. I could use CF or SD cards if tis were to make the process easier.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-02-27 20:23
    Yes, it should be pretty easy. Read the Vinculum firmware manual that you can download from www.vinculum.com

There is a seek command that takes an absolute address within a file and positions the file to that location for subsequent operations (like reads). When you specify a read, you indicate how many characters are to be read.
  • PaulFPaulF Posts: 62
    edited 2008-02-27 20:41
    Thanks Mike,
    just looked at the manual. Am I correct in saying that when I use seek it goes to that location. Then to read 8 characters from that location I use RDF 8 and is it also true that if I use WRF 8 it will overwrite any existing data with the new data?
    edited 2008-02-27 20:46
    Thanks Mike,
    just looked at the manual. Am I correct in saying that when I use seek it goes to that location. Then to read 8 characters from that location I use RDF 8 and is it also true that if I use WRF 8 it will overwrite any existing data with the new data?
    edited 2008-02-27 20:55
    Thanks Mike,
    edited 2008-02-27 20:56
    Sorry for the multiple posts, I'm having some difficulty with my new Broadband connection.