Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Project almost finished, but Protoboard won't use xtal anymore — Parallax Forums

Project almost finished, but Protoboard won't use xtal anymore

Jake11611Jake11611 Posts: 47
edited 2008-02-27 10:28 in Propeller 1
I just finished putting my protoboard (w/ acessory kit + video and audio out) into a project box. I tested it out with Femtobasic on the TV, and everything seemed fine. I turned the board off and on again with a switch I connected across the onboard one. This time the TV stayed blank. I kept toggling and a few tries later Femtobasic started again. I checked the board with my multimeter and the regulators seemed fine, but the board still wouldn't work. I added an LED and tried testing, and the board doesn't seem to want to run using the crystal (internal clock is fine, and I can connect to the prop). I switched out the crytal to my propstick, and it seemed to work. I also checked the connector for the crystal, which·seems to be corrected properly.·Did I just ruin my protoboard?

Comments

• deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2008-02-27 01:54
    Maybe...
    Run a testprogram, which turns and LED on some pin on and off by CLKFREQ.

Run this program
    - in RCFAST mode
    - without any PLL setting
    - with PLL1X
    - with PLL8X

When does it work, when not?
  • Jake11611Jake11611 Posts: 47
    edited 2008-02-27 01:57
    I tried turning an LED on and off using the internal clock (RCFAST?), and it worked. I tried using the 5mhz crystal (PL16), and nothing happened, the crystal that was in the protoboard did work when I put it into my propstick, though...

Edit: I also noticed a voltage drop on my multimeter when the propeller was in the box, I probably a short somewhere, but I took the prop out of the box when I saw the drop and it went away.

Post Edited (Jake11611) : 2/27/2008 2:38:10 AM GMT
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-02-27 02:37
    There have been a few cases where the PLL has been damaged due to excess voltage, static discharge, etc. where the internal clock (RCFAST or RCSLOW) works fine, but none of the external clock settings will work. The analysis of some of these damaged Propellers indicates that the PLL is vulnerable to damage, that it works fine under normal conditions, but seems to be a weak point in over-voltage, over-current conditions.

I suggest you call Tech Support tomorrow. They may have some suggestions.
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2008-02-27 07:16
    Jake11611 said...
    I tried turning an LED on and off using the internal clock (RCFAST?), and it worked. I tried using the 5mhz crystal (PL16), and nothing happened.
    Why do you think I suggsted to check it WITHOUT PLL??
  • Jake11611Jake11611 Posts: 47
    edited 2008-02-27 10:28
    I know what you meant, I was just telling you what happened. I just started learning to use the prop over vacation.