how about a special edition prop in a clear package, like this:
uk.farnell.com/1242265/optoelectronics/product.us0?sku=TAOS-TSL1401R

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand
-Confucius

Comments

• Robot FreakRobot Freak Posts: 168
    edited 2008-02-26 21:19
    That would be cool, but not useful or price-effective.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-02-26 21:40
    Since silicon is light-sensitive, the chip might not even work properly in a clear package. That's how Micron Technologies got into the image sensor business: they discovered that their RAM arrays were light-sensitive, with each pixel corresponding to a memory slot. For awhile (ca. 1988), they even offered these with a clear window and called it "Video RAM".

-Phil
  • HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2008-02-26 23:24
    Lee Marshall,

In the late '70s I had the fortune to be involved with a design which was a hybrid of several packages (metal 'can' sort of like crystal oscillators, but with some 2 dozen pins; ceramic substrate of gold traces for connects, chips were in die form, wire bonded).

But prior to solder sealing the lid, they had to be checked out and debugged. This required working under a microscope; the package could be almost hidden under a man's thumb. Well, to see where to probe you needed a high intensity lamp. I eventually learned that the light would have to be turned off while scoping the signals (analog) because the 741 chip amplifiers wouldn't work properly under light. Tough way to debug. But a good learning experience. Phil isn't BS'ing, for sure. You don't want clear packaging on ICs.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko