Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
The Propeller Cash Register — Parallax Forums

The Propeller Cash Register

LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
edited 2008-02-27 17:50 in Propeller 1
Well, I don't have the time or desire to enter the Propeller Contest, but from the begining I thought that the Propeller might provide a good platform to handle all the services included in a modern cash register.· Apparently, the cash box and input devices are compatible.· Even a bar code scan can be used.· Add a serial dot matrix printer for cash receipts and you have most of the hardware.· Video output could be mixed with advertising or entertainment that reaches the customer while waiting to pay.

Of course, you might want to add a PINK so that the home office can monitor the tally during the day and get a final closing report at the end of each day.

If that is not enough, the bar code could pass on inventory control data.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
PLEASE CONSIDER the following:

Do you want a quickly operational black box solution or the knowledge included therein?······
···················· Tropically,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Comments

• DroneDrone Posts: 433
    edited 2008-02-26 15:19
    I thought about the possibilities of a Propeller-based cash register - Point of Sale (POS) device at the outset of my involvement with this microcontroller. Especially when I saw it had native video out. In a retail outlet you could dual-purpose the propeller with an NTSC or PAL monitor (PAL is comming-along) with a video security camera via overlay, so you don't need to pay for a VGA or embedded QVGA LCD for-example.

Alas... Once I understood there is no code (Intellectual Property or IP) protection with the Propeller, this idea went out the window. POS devices (also like voting machines) need to be highly secure in this respect. The weak link is between the Propeller and external flash/ram/rom. Let's hope Propeller-II addresses this issue. There are deep threads about IP protection with the current Propeller in this Forum. I'm still not convinced it is possible without eating up a lot of the processing power of the Propeller to do it, if it is doable at all.

Rgds, David
  • PerryPerry Posts: 253
    edited 2008-02-26 18:40
    Having worked on a BusinessBasic, I have also considered this idea.

FemtoBasic could be altered for BCD arithmetic, and structured file support i.e. random and indexed files.

Standards are the way to go. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_of_sale

Drone... I think that IP is a non issue, look at all of the PC POS out there.
    you won't make a hand-held POS but you could make a cheap counter top with cash drawer
  • VIRANDVIRAND Posts: 656
    edited 2008-02-26 20:11
    I somewhat recently (as a few years ago) saw APPLE II's being used as cash registers in a "Mom & Pop" store.
    The system appeared to be a custom DIY setup, similar to at one time I set up an Apple II as a fake EKG machine
    for a movie. Also, I sometimes use receipt printers to run off a scroll of ASM, which I find easier to debug with a
    pencil than by viewing a screenful of code at a time on the screen. Receipt printers are usually standard serial or
    parallel, and it's interesting to me that the BELL (ctrl-G) character is used by cash drawers as a command to open.
    This I know from building some of those PC POS cash registers recently. If there are any POS secrets, they are probably
    in the credit card readers.

If only I had a dollar for each time in the last year I've seen rows of new POS PC's holding up the lines rebooting Vista!
  • Mike_GTNMike_GTN Posts: 106
    edited 2008-02-26 21:34
    EPOS or stuff that anyone would buy to use for even a semi serious business is simply Thin Client. All action happens at the backroom server via ethernet. Nice touch screens on the front desk, and certainly in the UK we are on chip and pin, I have not seen a credit card swipe reader in years. As a project to simply see how things work might be fun, but this has been done to death already by the two major players in the Global EPOS field. They seem quite good at it as well, so I would personally never see any type of financial market for such a project. If it is just for fun you could sell yourself your own dinner.... If the system went wrong you could breakfix the hardware or software whilst you ate. Here now is the problem, I've just eaten that Pizza that had the barcode attached. I'd then have to build a Propeller based MRI Barcode scanner to be able to charge myself the correct fee.

Regards

Mike.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2008-02-27 06:55
    What about creatively using the Propeller as a barcode processor? There are lots of instances where that might be handy without the intellectual property issues.

Anyone that has ever gone shopping for their first retail cash register in a small business [noparse][[/noparse]mom and pop's store, automotive repair shop, or restaurant] is dumbfounded by the huge cost. Since there are limited employees and only one till, having an inexpensive alternative is quite wonderful.

My first retail shop started with a shoe box.· Then we went to an old 2nd cash register that wouldn't ring up any sales over 5 dollars.·· If the item was $20, we would ring it up 4 times.·When you start with $2000 of inventory and they want another $2000 for the cash register, it all seems absurd.

I like the idea of it doubling as the security video. One can keep an eye on the whole store while serving a customer that is ringing up a lot of items. Brilliant.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    PLEASE CONSIDER the following:

Do you want a quickly operational black box solution or the knowledge included therein?······
    ···················· Tropically,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Post Edited (Kramer) : 2/27/2008 7:00:53 AM GMT
  • Shawn LoweShawn Lowe Posts: 635
    edited 2008-02-27 17:41
    At my elks lodge, we are having a problem with customers having tabs. The bartender either forgets to ring up a customers order, or the reciept gets lost and the customer isn't charged for the proper purchase. We looked at getting a "electronic" register, but they are several thousand dollars (can't justify the cost). This thread got me thinking about the posibilities that using a propeller could bring!! It would be fun to try. Have the bartender scan a barcode with the customers name, keep the tab electronically. Use an Xbee to wirelessly send "X-out" data and have a computer print out shift totals instantly. Yeah, you could have fun.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Shawn Lowe

Maybe I should have waited to do that......
  • Computer Geek 101Computer Geek 101 Posts: 179
    edited 2008-02-27 17:50
    I have built a prop powered device that has a rfid reader, barcode scanner, and a pink. You swipe your rfid card, scan two barcodes; they display on a vga monitor. Then the Pink sends the data to a server program that records it to a sql database to track hours on a job. it should be fairly easy to build something like that as a cash register.