Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Aussie Info and #propeller meetings — Parallax Forums

Aussie Info and #propeller meetings

stevenmess2004stevenmess2004 Posts: 1,102
edited 2008-03-25 11:30 in Propeller 1
I started this thread so that we could list places in Australia can buy propellers and other goodies to go with them. Also, so that all us Aussies here can get to know one another (others are welcome too though) smile.gif

To start off.

You can get a lot of the Parallax products including proto boards and other propeller parts from Ronald Nollet. He has been very helpful to me so far. He also sells the PropBus system.

Futurlec (www.futurlec.com.au) has an Australian site that has a lot of cheap stuff. Just keep an eye on your order. I ordered some stuff from them that they no longer stocked and the didn't tell me... When I sent them an email though they replied quickly and were helpful.

Obviously there is Jaycar www.jaycar.com.au and Dick Smith www.dse.com.au

I have looked at digikey and mouser but I got quoted something like $70US shipping for a couple of Xbees...

Any others?

Also, for aussies or others in similar time zones we are starting regular meetings on #propeller at 8pm (EDS time) on Thursday nights. See you there.

Post Edited (stevenmess2004) : 3/9/2008 6:56:33 AM GMT

Comments

• Shane De CataniaShane De Catania Posts: 67
    edited 2008-02-26 11:53
    Don't forget www.dontronics-shop.com/ They've been around for years and have some very interesting products, including propeller based stuff... and they're happy to trade internationally.
    Some may also like www.oatleyelectronics.com/ for some interesting bits and pieces.
    I agree that Digikey's freight is expensive, but their service is second to none. They get your order to Australia in 2-3 working days usually with very competitive pricing compared to some of our local industrial suppliers.
  • computer guycomputer guy Posts: 1,113
    edited 2008-02-26 12:10
    You have named all the places I know of and more so all I have to say is, Hi to all other aussies on the forum. smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Check out my robot using the propeller RECONAUTOR
    If you like my avatar then check this out Propeller Domed Sticker
  • dakkondakkon Posts: 4
    edited 2008-02-26 13:45
    www.nollet.com.au -- distributes Parallax stuff, including the Propeller kits.
  • DroneDrone Posts: 433
    edited 2008-02-26 14:50
    If you need stuff from the US, there's a good forwarding service at www.myus.com. They typically use DHL and the rates, even for multi-kilo packages are very competitive. There's a rate vs. weight calculator on the MyUS site. For light but bulky shipments be sure to clarify the shipping rate with MyUS directly to correct for volumetric weight.

There's also RS Components (Homed in the UK, I think they used to be "Radio Spares", hence the "RS"). In Australia - www.rsaustralia.com. They stock locally in AU.

I don't think RS sells the Propeller (or other Parallax products - really too-bad), but certainly they do the other stuff that goes with it, memory, FTDI, Maxim/DS stuff, etc.

I'm in Jakarta so I sometimes use rsaustralia or www.rssingapore.com, which also stocks locally in Singapore. Who I choose (RS-AU or SG) depends on which RS site has local stock and better price etc... Wildly varying unit pricing and local stock availability with RS at both AU and SG sites in my opinion. But decent service in the end; never had a problem once it was settled what was going to ship. I HATE the RS Web sites though, because you can't browse in tabs with Firefox; dunno about IE7, don't run it.

Rgds, David

Post Edited (Drone) : 2/26/2008 3:06:12 PM GMT
  • Ron SutcliffeRon Sutcliffe Posts: 420
    edited 2008-02-26 15:51
    @dakkon
    It must be very difficult to for R N when Parallax retails ProP Proto Board for $USA20.00. Sure you have to spend $USA100.00 but they are a BARGIN
    Its not surprising that Jaycar and DS don't sell them. (not when I checked in August last)
    D S used to sell Parallax stuff I bought a BS1 from DS over 10 years ago, it cost $AU60+ dollars if I recall.

In Singapore two weeks ago, no problems getting BS2, but the sales guy I spoke to had not heard Propeller would you believe. We sat at his desk and a took tour of the Parallax Website.

We are in Penang Malaysia and will be here for the next year of so. I could purchased in Malaysia but much cheaper direct from Parallax, parts arrived 5 days later.
    There service is hard to beat.

BUT where do you get 24LC512 prefer DIL but SMD will do ?

Can you help Ronald Nollet,?
  • sevssevs Posts: 50
    edited 2008-02-26 23:52
    Another store that i frequent for parts is www.altronics.com.au.

I cant remeber them being out of stock for anything i have wanted here in Perth, but i have been told that they are the Aus warehouse.· There is also http://au.farnell.com/.

Sevs

Perth(WA)
  • OzStampOzStamp Posts: 377
    edited 2008-02-27 00:19
    Hi

We sell the Propeller demoboard now for $24.20 in 1 off qty.
    That's inc GST.. present exchange rate is 0.91...0.92 ( when we pay at the bank)

We've got lots of Propeller goods in stock..
    Spin Stamps + dip chips + Propeller demoboards...Propeller plugs clips etc etc ect
    And we manufacture the PropBus system as well for Tafe/uni colleges
    aimed at the more serious users.. see www.igniteautomation.com/propbus.html for info.
    Will soon be added to our own website as well.

We have been a Parallax distributor for 11 years in Australia and can offer expert support on most of their products.

So let us know how can help... we are a small privately owned co and we do not markup prices so that we can give you huge discounts.. also you have appreciate that we do this now full time.. and stuffing around with little orders for 1 or 2 chips
    does not really even pay for the milk .. so our small qty pricing is accordingly..
    We keep 24LC256 in stock in dip and also we have stock of 24lc512 in SMD only..

Cheers Ron Nollet Melbourne OZ www.nollet.com.au
  • DavidMDavidM Posts: 626
    edited 2008-02-27 00:57
    Hi,

Watch out for FUTURLEC!

They once shipped me COUNTERFEIT national semi components!!
    They are fine for connectors resistors hardware, etc, but I would NOT buy any semiconductors from them! They do stuff about with delivery times but there prices are very good.

Also, Have a look at http://electusdistribution.com.au, this is were JAYCAR buy all their stuff from, there prices are almost HALF of that of Jaycar. You have to set up an account to be able to orde online, go get one of their catalogs and you will be amazed at the prices.

Also, look at http://au.newark.com/, WESS Components, Clarke and Severn ( good service and great for connectors etc) , Avnet, Arrow for semi conductors , also www.rockby.com.au for general parts.

RS components are good for many items ( they keep a lot of stock ) but they are the most expensive supplier in the WORLD!!!! use them for prototyping only!

for PCB's I use ENTECH in SA, they have a good prototype service!

but for larger orders I would use MOUSER or DIGIKEY they both have a very good range and the prices are the best! much better now with the exchange rate

If you are into MEMBRANE panels/keypads I use a chinese company called http://www.zskeypad.com/ , talk to a guy called PHIL ZHAO, his customer service is excellent! and the prices are unbelievable too! They do small runs!

regards

Dave M.
  • DroneDrone Posts: 433
    edited 2008-02-27 03:41
    In Singapore, Parallax has a distributor Epecom on Aljunied Road. They have some local stock, and can get anything in the Parallax catalog within a week. They ship anywhere. Very nice people to deal with. Their prices are usually the same as in the catalog.

www.epecom.com.sg

David
  • Ron SutcliffeRon Sutcliffe Posts: 420
    edited 2008-02-27 04:25
    @Ozstamp
    Thanks Ron, very helpful. I will PM about parts.

@Drone
    I was in the area and popped into the Agent on Sim Lim Drive, basically just for a look.

Regards to both

Ron
    edited 2008-02-27 05:24
    @Ozstamp
    Ron, with regards to the Propeller demoboard now for $24.20... is that listed on your site? I couldn't see it. I would personally much rather buy that type of thing locally from you than from say Digikey. If pricing / availability info is clearly accessible on your site the decision is easy. Having to send emails or phoning for info wastes everyone's time, especially for one-off orders, which as you say are barely worth your while anyway. I'm not bagging you in any way Ron, I hope this doesn't sound like I am.
    Cheers,
    Shane.
    edited 2008-02-27 06:34
    Hi Shane.

Occasionally we need to be kicked in the rear to update that website..
    It all takes time.. takes for initiating another update..

Re Propeller Proto board ..Your right Shane it is not there but we have them instock..

Would having a PDF file on our front index page. with all we stock and pricing be a good idea ?

We order every week on Parallax ..we order on Friday or Thursday and the stuff lands here at our place
    monday or tuesday so anything is never far away..

Will add some stuff to our website.. early next week that addresses some of these issues..

cheers Ron
  • stevenmess2004stevenmess2004 Posts: 1,102
    edited 2008-02-27 06:36
    Ron, did you mean the demo board or the proto board?
  • kenmackenmac Posts: 96
    edited 2008-02-27 10:07
    Hi folks,
    I'm located in Perth.
    Anytime I order any Propeller stuff ex East from Ron there is a freight/postage penalty, which tends to work against the good base price of the Prop.(unless able to order in quantity - most hobbyists want to buy one or two)
    None of the major parts people handle the Prop., and probably won't until there is sufficient interest from the customers.(who probably don't know about it anyway)
    The weakness with the Prop. in Oz is the lack of promotion and lack of local (state) distribution.
    I attempted to get the Silicon Chip people interested in producing even a review in their magazine, but that seems to have fallen on deaf ears.
    If we could get Altronics or Jaycar interested enough to build a kit or two, maybe it could start the ball rolling.
    Forget DSE, they are in the process of backing away from component supplies altogether, I am told.
    Altronics do handle the Picaxe range, which is the "education" or entry level for PIC's, so they may be interested in adding the Prop. for the "experienced" hobbyist end.
    The Managing Director Jack O'Donnell is an ex workmate of mine - perhaps I could "test the water" on the subject.

Anyway, it's good to know that our Oz numbers are growing.

kenmac

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Perth, Western Australia
    Time Zone = GMT + 8
    edited 2008-02-27 21:04
    Dear KenMac

Well before you told the Silicon Chip magazine we had contacted them and submitted some stuff for them to evaluate.
    We paid for some advertising.. but really nothing happened.

Just before Christams last year we visited the Silicon Chip people again.
    We had an appointment with the sales rep and the technical editor.
    The sales rep decided not to be there and the technical writer was there but was very negative.
    Really an amazing attitude.. all he could was being negative.. nothing really constructive...
    So after 2 serious attempts and $800 in bills ( petrol and my time) the ball is in their court.)
    Remember we are in Melbourne they are in Sydney (900KM north of us) so we went thru a considerable
    amount of trouble...

I have also been in touch with several resellers but none of them are capable of supporting this Propeller
    product and want to inflate prices too much to the point of being ridiculous..
    Mr Ken Gracey at Parallax knows what we get up to ... they support us termendously.

We promote the Propeller here very heavily and the main customer base for the Propeller is industry.
    The hobby market here is small and very few people ...not going to go any further discuss markets as your mate
    will find out...Altronics are by far the best organized lot.. their shop here in Melbourne is great.
    But their wholesale price is still a long way of being reasonable .. shame as we like to support local industry..
    The mark up these guy's apply is amazing..

Shipping small qty stuff is expense for us.. we concentrate on the industry market as long term that
    is of benefit for us and also for Parallax..

Cheers Ronald Nollet Melbourne
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2008-02-27 21:54
    I have shipped a couple of SpinStudios to Australia. Shipping takes 1-2 weeks, and I only charge $5 US for shipping for orders under $200, and free shipping on orders over $200.

I have included "extras" upon request, things like PropPlugs or extra DIP Propellers, so people wouldn't have to pay shipping twice, once for me for a SpinStudio and then from another supplier for a PropPlug to program it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio - the modular Development system for the Propeller

PropNIC - Add ethernet ability to your Propeller! PropJoy - Plug in a joystick and play some games!

SD card Adapter - mass storage for the masses Audio/Video adapter add composite video and sound to your Proto Board
    edited 2008-03-09 04:41
    Thanks to everyone for the info and links. Do people think that it would be a good idea to put some of this on the wiki?

Also, would the aussies like to start regular meetings on the #propeller irc channel? Say once a week or once a fortnight?
    edited 2008-03-09 05:34
    Regular meetings sounds good to me.
    If you can specify a time, I will try to be online. smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    If you like my avatar then check this out Propeller Domed Stickers for sale
    edited 2008-03-09 06:52
    Seems that several people agree so first meeting is
    8pm (Canberra time) Thursday 13 March 2008

all welcome
    edited 2008-03-11 06:23
    Unfortunately I am busy Thursday night this week and not Tuesday like usual so I won't be online for the meeting :-(. So someone will have to tell me how it goes. smile.gif
    edited 2008-03-12 01:21
    I will keep you informed Steven. smile.gif
    Pitty you can't join us though.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    If you like my avatar then check this out Propeller Domed Stickers for sale
    edited 2008-03-12 04:56
    6pm in WA is a tad early for me too, as I don't get home from work until 6:30pm. Also have a 4 year old (whose name should have been cyclone) who will demand 100% of my attention until either he or I is exhausted! I know that's of no interest to anyone here, but that is me excuse for being very late... I will try to get on at some point though. It looks like computer guy has volunteered himself as secretary, so I will get the transcript of what I've missed from him later wink.gif

Cheers,
    Shane.
    edited 2008-03-14 11:25
    For those who didn't make it to the meeting. Your non-attendance has been noted and will be remembered! (well, we will just keep annoying you until you turn upsmile.gif)

I think that most of us managed to make it although some were late, very late (like me) and others very, very late. We talked a bit about several things ranging from graphics drivers to portable prop in a briefcase systems and xbee (even dreamed about doing it on the prop and then quickly dismissed the idea) and some of the projects that I have done. So, next week it is time for someone else to do show and tell.

Any way, next meeting will be 8pm to 10pm (Eastern time) on Thursday night (well, if you are from WA than you may want to stay later). Come when you can and all welcome. If you have questions we will try to answer them and we are all interested to hear what projects you are working on. See you theresmile.gif
    edited 2008-03-25 11:30
    Well, not many people turned up to the last meeting probably because they forgot it was on so this is a remindersmile.gif

8pm to 10pm Eastern time on Thursday night. I will probably be a bit late but don't let that stop you from being theresmile.gif