Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
fsrw — Parallax Forums

fsrw

TwimTwim Posts: 10
edited 2008-09-24 22:12 in Propeller 1
Hello,
·····would someone be kind enough to provide some direction.
I would like to add seek functionality to fsrw.spin I need to randomly
access·bytes in an open file the function should modify "pgetc"·so that:
··· pSeekbyte ( long_byte_location_in_file)·
would return the character located at "long_byte_location_in_file"

thank you

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-02-26 02:21
    I've been working on an extended version of Rokicki's SD card routines that would include:

1) Random read and write access

2) Multiple instances of the FSRW object can co-exist and reference the same memory card so you can have more than one file open at the same time, each requiring a 512 byte buffer with one other 512 buffer shared among all the open files.· Each instance requires only about 580 bytes including the buffer.

It's much easier to add random read access.· It's harder to provide for random write access for updating in place and appending to an existing file.

I'm in the process of debugging it.· It's not in any shape yet to pass on to others since it sometimes fails to correctly look up files and occasionally corrupts the root directory.· I don't have a lot of time to work on it currently, but I'd be happy to keep people informed.

Oh yeah, it also includes read-only subdirectories.· You can travel the subdirectory tree and create and delete files in subdirectories, but you can't change the subdirectories.

Post Edited (Mike Green) : 2/26/2008 2:26:43 AM GMT
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2008-02-26 07:19
    Mike, PM me if you want. fsrw is *actually* written in C, with a full Perl test suite
    on linux (using a loopback filesystem). I've got a Perl script that converts the C to
    Spin. This strategy may make testing and debugging much easier. It's a bit
    idiosyncratic (I used the same strategy for femtoBASIC by the way) and I do not
    support it as a general programming paradigm, but it let me test the *heck* out of
    it, comparing operations side by side for many combinations of things that gave
    me enough confidence to release it (without worrying too much about messing up
    people's cards.) I'd be happy to dump the whole thing into your lap if you are
    interested.

(Indeed, I could actually release a family of fsrw implementations with the different
    featuers through the use of either m4 or the C preprocessor. Too bad I've not
    had much time for the Prop lately.)
  • stevenmess2004stevenmess2004 Posts: 1,102
    edited 2008-02-26 07:47
    rokicki, can you convert any c code to spin? If your Perl script can than that might make doing a spin compiler easier.
    edited 2008-02-26 18:00
    No, far from *any* C code. Let me put it this way. My C->spin thing only handles C code that is essentially Spin code written in C syntax,
    if that makes sense to you. There is no parsing, or symbol table, or anything like that; just a set of very simple regular expressions.

I just wanted the bare minimum so I could program in something the C compiler would compile, and that could be turned trivially into a
    legitimate equivalent Spin program. No structures. No variable declarations other than at the top. Etc.
  • TwimTwim Posts: 10
    edited 2008-02-28 06:19
    Gentlemen, please indulge a novice.
    ··· am I correct in assuming that I can move to a specific location within a file by setting "floc" to the desired location, then calling· pfillbuf().· Does floc· always need to· be aligned with the first byte of the sector/block

thanks
  • PaulFPaulF Posts: 62
    edited 2008-09-23 10:31
    Hi Mike/Twim etc.
    has a seek function been developed yet for Rokicki's Sd object? I am in the same boat as Twim in that I need to access particular characters within a large (>16MB) file.

Paul
    edited 2008-09-23 13:09
    I don't need true random access, the sequence I need is :
    1) when the program starts it will read a location from the end (or start) of the file
    2) then it will go to that location and retrieve a block of about 8 or 10 characters
    3) send these characters to remote device serially
    4) read the next block and and repeat from step 3 until end of program

end of program:
    save the location of the next block of characters to the end (or start) of the file.

I have achieved this using the Vinculum VDrive but the fact the the USB thumb drive projects from the enclosure is a problem, so I'm hoping to reproduce using the SD card.

I would appreciate any assistance on this.

Paul
    edited 2008-09-23 20:21
    Hi all,
    I've been struggling with this all day.

Does anyone know if it is possible to go to a specific location in a file. I am in a position where I have to make a decision to use SD or stick with USB. As mentioned in last post, SD is much more preferable (if not essential) for my project.

Thanks again for any help you may be able to offer.

Paul
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-09-23 22:33
    There are some pretty small USB thumb drives these days. Look around. You may find one that'll fit.

I still don't have the FAT file system changes working.· I'll take a look at it in the next day or two to see if I can post just a read-only seek routine.

Post Edited (Mike Green) : 9/23/2008 10:38:55 PM GMT
  • AribaAriba Posts: 2,687
    edited 2008-09-24 00:24
    RivTec

Just an idea, and not testet:
    You can change the pread method in fsrw a little bit:
    pub pread(ubuf, count) | r, t
    {{
    '   Read count bytes into the buffer ubuf.  Returns the number of bytes
    '   successfully read, or a negative number if there is an error.
    '   The buffer may be as large as you want.
    '   * if ubuf is set to zero, count bytes are only read, without
    '   writing to the buffer. 
    }}
       r := 0
       repeat while (count > 0)
          if (bufat => bufend)
             t := pfillbuf
             if (t =< 0)
                if (r > 0)
                   return r
                return t
          t := bufend - bufat
          if (t > count)
             t := count
    '      bytemove(ubuf, @buf+bufat, t)    <-- replaced by the next 2 lines
          if ubuf > 0
            bytemove(ubuf, @buf+bufat, t)
          bufat += t
          r += t
          ubuf += t
          count -= t
       return r

This allows to overread bytes on the SD card, without storing anywhere, if you set the buffer address to 0. This is a kind of relativ seek.
    Then you can do something like that:
    VAR
       long position
       byte buffer[noparse][[/noparse]8]
       fsrw.popen(...)
       fsrw.pread(@position,4)      'read the position at start
       fsrw.pread(0,position-4)     'relativ seek
       fsrw.pread(@buffer,8)        'read 8 bytes in buffer
       repeat i from 0 to 7   
         send(buffer[noparse][[/noparse] i ])            'and send

Andy
    edited 2008-09-24 08:54
    Mike, thanks, I'd prefer to use the SD card because it can operate at 3.3V whereas the VDrive needs 5 V.

Ariba, I'll try that method this evening when I get back to base. Thanks

Actually Ariba, that looks very elegant and it seems to me that it will work wonderfully. Thanks again.

One last thing, and excuse me if this is in the documentation for fsrw, but can I open a file for write and write to the first 4 bytes of the file without affecting the remainder of the file?

Paul

Post Edited (RivTec) : 9/24/2008 10:57:18 AM GMT
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2008-09-24 12:33
    Ariba, and RivTec, I've just looked at the code above, and it will work for what you want, except it has one bug, it increases ubuf even when it's 0 initially ( to indicate no copying to hub ram )

if (t > count)
             t := count
    '      bytemove(ubuf, @buf+bufat, t)    <-- replaced by the next 2 lines
          if ubuf > 0
            bytemove(ubuf, @buf+bufat, t)
            ubuf += t  ' moved this line to here because it doesn't need to increase ubuf if it's 0
          bufat += t
          r += t
    '      ubuf += t ' removed this line, and put it with the if ubuf > 0 above

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    http://www.propgfx.co.uk/forum/·home of the PropGFX Lite

·
    edited 2008-09-24 19:52
    Thank you baggers

I have overlooked that line

Andy
    edited 2008-09-24 19:54
    Ariba & Baggers, thank you so much. I am now able to seek to a location in the file and retrieve the block of characters.

I just done a few small tests and it takes approx. 5 seconds to seek to the 250,000th block of 11 characters (not 8 as indicated earlier). So I imagine if I have 5 million blocks of 11 chars it will take 100 seconds approx. This may not be that much of an issue as it is only when the program starts but if there was a quicker mechanism it would be a Godsend!

If the original file was written to a clean newly formatted card (on a PC), do you think it might be posible to read the 'position' at the start of the file as above and then calculate which cluster it points to and finally the location within the last cluster. I say all this but my experience with FATs of any sort is next to nothing.

As per my earlier post, can I open a file for write and write to the first 4 bytes of the file (incrementing the position of the next block of characters) without affecting the remainder of the file?. I tried putc but this deletes everything after that.

Regards, Paul
    edited 2008-09-24 19:57
    With just a bit more effort, slightly more changes, you can modify it to not even do the block read for all the blocks it will skip.

Just make pfillbuf take a boolean on whether to do the actual block read or not, and add logic to compute if this is the last block
    of the read or not (you have to read the last block, so that subsequent reads *with* buffers work).
    edited 2008-09-24 19:58
    On the question of opening for write without truncation (this is "r+"), we do not currently support that in any way. Sorry.
    edited 2008-09-24 20:02
    Thanks Rokicki, I will try that. Great work by the way with FSRW !!
    edited 2008-09-24 20:08
    I think the logic you can use is this:

fillbuf(ubuf != 0 || count =< 512)

Essentially, if we have a buffer, or if the count of bytes to go is <= 512 chars, we *must* read that
    data block, else we do not need to read the data block.

You still need to read the FAT blocks, but generally this will be negligible overhead (there are 256
    FAT entries in a single metadata block, and that's enough for 16MB of data, assuming the file is
    contiguous).
    edited 2008-09-24 21:24
    Thanks Rokicki, I will try that. Great work by the way with FSRW !!
    edited 2008-09-24 21:29
    Ooops sorry about the repeat posting.
    What I meant to say was thanks Rokicki, that worked a treat. I am able to go to the location within 1 second or less.

Regarding R+, I have moved the position pointer to the last 4 bytes of the file and retrieving this by getting the FileSize - 4. Is it possible for me to overwrite these in with putc or any other command whilst not affecting the contents of the file up to the last 4 bytes?

Regards and thanks.
    Paul
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-09-24 21:33
    Hi Paul, if you've found you've double posted, simply click on the X in the upper right hand corner of the post you want to delete.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2008-09-24 21:53
    RivTec

Another idea, I used such a trick before in one of my programs.
    - Write a file with the needed size to the SD card. It must have contiguous sectors. Normally you get this if you write it with Windows and a Cardreader. Or with fsrw and a fresh formatted card.
    - Get the Startsector for that file on the SD card (see code below)
    - Handle all the read and write accesses with sector reads and writes by yourself. Because the sectors are contiguous, it's easy to calculate the position.

Your datablocks shoud have a size of 16 bytes,instead of 11 bytes, so 32 of them fit exactly in one sector. You still can use only the first 11 bytes of the 16.

Add this routines to the fsrw object:
    PUB getStartSector(strptr) : s
      s~
      ifnot popen(strptr,"r")
        s := fclust << clustershift + dataregion
        pclose

PUB readblock(n, b)        'wrapper routines for read and write a sector 
      sdspi.readblock(n, b)

PUB writeblock(n, b)
      sdspi.writeblock(n, b)

And in the Main object use the routines like that:
    VAR
       long fsector
       byte sbuff[noparse][[/noparse]512]
       fsector = fsrw.getStartSector("filename")
       fsrw.readblock(fsector, @sbuff)      'read 1.sector of file
       long[noparse][[/noparse]@sbuff] := position             'overwrite first long with new position
       fsrw.writeblock(fsector, @sbuff)     'write modified 1. sector
       sect := position / 512 + fsector     'fast seek
       offset := position // 512
       fsrw.readblock(sect, @sbuff)         'read whole sector
       repeat i from 0 to 11
         send(sbuff[noparse][[/noparse]offset+i])              'send the 11 bytes

You don't need to open or close the file, for reading or writing sectors.

I hope this is clear enough.
    Also this code is not tested, and can have some bugs [noparse];)[/noparse]

Andy
    edited 2008-09-24 22:12
    Right now, directly in fsrw, the only writing that is supported is sequentially from the first byte of the file with truncation.
    There is no r+ or w+ or a+ option at all or support for switching between reading and writing on the same file (without
    opening it again from scratch).

Andy's trick is a useful one, but care must be taken that the file is indeed contiguous. Then you can just do block I/O,
    and using read-block/modify-block/write-block, you can modify any of the file bits you want retaining all the rest.

-tom