Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Do you know if can I use something like PBasic for propeller ? — Parallax Forums

Do you know if can I use something like PBasic for propeller ?

JoeJoe Posts: 184
edited 2008-02-25 19:28 in Propeller 1
Hi

The problem I have with propeller is that
I have to learn and other languaje called SPIN.

For this reason I would like to know if there
is something like PBasic for the Propeller.

With a simple languaje like PBasic I can
earn a lot of time.

Thanks, Joe

Comments

• Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-02-25 15:57
    How about FemtoBASIC?

propeller.wikispaces.com/FemtoBASIC

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with the Protoboard? - Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card? - PropDOS
    A Living Propeller FAQ - The Propeller Wiki
    (Got the Knowledge? Got a Moment? Add something today!)

• deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2008-02-25 17:30
    It should be undrstood that FemtoBasic was never meant to be a SpeedRunner language or a full implementation of whatever; it is rather a "shell" whith which you can make some (= a lot of!) experiments; advanced programmers can also embed their pieces of code, as it is an open system by nature.
  • crgwbrcrgwbr Posts: 614
    edited 2008-02-25 17:49
    SPIN really isn't that different from PBASIC (after all, they were both written by Chip). In fact, I thought SPIN was a little easier to pickup than PBASIC. But, if you must, there is a PBASIC commands object in the exchange. You can use this object almost like you would the normal PBASIC commands.

Regards,
    Craig

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    My system: 1.6 GHz AMD Turion64 X2, 4GB DDR2, 256MB ATI Radeon Graphics card, 15.4" Widescreen HD Screen

I have a duel boot of Ubuntu Linux and Windows Vista. Vista, because it came with the PC, Ubuntu because I like software that works.

"Failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with Windows."

Use The Best...
    Linux for Servers
    Mac for Graphics
    Palm for Mobility
    Windows for Solitaire
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-02-25 18:25
    I wasn't looking forward to learning Spin but it turned out to be much, much easier than I expected and took a lot less time than I thought it would.

Remember it's := for assignment and watch out for using <= and >= when you need to use =< and => and those are really the only frequent mistakes I made in the early days.

Learning Spin is very worthwhile and you will benefit greatly from it. As with anything, the more you use it the easier it becomes.
  • crgwbrcrgwbr Posts: 614
    edited 2008-02-25 19:28
    hippy said...
    I wasn't looking forward to learning Spin but it turned out to be much, much easier than I expected and took a lot less time than I thought it would.

Well said

hippy said...
    watch out for using <= and >= when you need to use =< and => and those are really the only frequent mistakes I made in the early days.

So thats what I've been doing wrong! turn.gif lol

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    My system: 1.6 GHz AMD Turion64 X2, 4GB DDR2, 256MB ATI Radeon Graphics card, 15.4" Widescreen HD Screen

I have a duel boot of Ubuntu Linux and Windows Vista. Vista, because it came with the PC, Ubuntu because I like software that works.

"Failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with Windows."

Use The Best...
    Linux for Servers
    Mac for Graphics
    Palm for Mobility
    Windows for Solitaire