Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Debug ? — Parallax Forums

Debug ?

Pete SrPete Sr Posts: 11
edited 2008-02-26 21:10 in Propeller 1
New to the prop, but used the BS1 and BS2. Is there a way to echo back tothe screen your data like the DEBUG command in the previous systems. I looked through the manual, but may have missed it.

Pete

Comments

• joeldjoeld Posts: 49
    edited 2008-02-25 14:41
    Check out the "Draft for Review - PE Kit Lab - Fundamentals: Objects" thread a few threads down the list by Andy Lindsay. The pdf article discusses how to use hyperterminal as a debug tool with the same usb port that you program with. Only downside is that you'll have to write to eeprom for it to work.
  • Pete SrPete Sr Posts: 11
    edited 2008-02-25 14:56
    I did see the hype-terminal thread, was hoping to not have to go that route. Guess you can't have everything

Thanks
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2008-02-25 15:51
    Andy's PropTerminal is used by many people here with great success.... It has very little overhead...
  • DgswanerDgswaner Posts: 795
    edited 2008-02-25 16:47
    The Debug "issue" was a little alarming for me when I moved to the Propeller, debug isn't gone it just changed a little bit. here is what I found to be most like the Stamp way of bugging. This communicates back to your computer on the same line that you program it (or different pins if you want). and you can use the Stamp tool's debug window or any number of other programs.
    it's called Multicog serial debug.
    http://obex.parallax.com/objects/232/

I've used it a lot and it works great. but just a heads up.... with the Propeller bring so powerful it's just as easy to debug to a TV, VGA or LCD. because of that many of the Objects and examples you find don't use a serial link to a PC for debugging, most are LCD. I bought a LCD display so I wouldn't have to spend time converting each object to serial debug for testing and learning, which was pretty hard at first. I'd suggest getting an LCD display it's really handy especially for mobile projects.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "A complex design is the sign of an inferior designer." - Jamie Hyneman, Myth Buster

DGSwaner
  • dfletchdfletch Posts: 165
    edited 2008-02-25 18:56
    Just a silly story ... I excitedly hooked up PropTerminal the last time it came up here in the forums. Worked great for seeing some numbers I wasn't sure about (though getting the numbers from ASM to Spin took more code than I would have liked). There's this line of loop code that pauses execution until the terminal is ready, which is nice because you don't have to time your launch or write the EEPROM or anything. Just F10, wait a sec, launch term.

Then I proceeded to forget all about it. I go back to working on the project a day later and then spend 15 minutes trying to debug why my program won't start! 15 minutes debugging absolutely nothing! Moral of story: disable term when you're done with it smile.gif

Cheers,

--fletch

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Join us in the Un-Official Propeller IRC channel: irc.freenode.net #propeller
    Newbies, oldies, programmers, math professors, and everyone in-between welcome!
    Propeller IRC howto
  • Pete SrPete Sr Posts: 11
    edited 2008-02-25 21:48
    I do have a 6.4" LCD display I can use just need to connect it to power and wire it to either NTSC or VGA. I guess that might be tonights project.

Thanks for the info.

Pete
  • HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2008-02-25 22:59
    Pete Sr said...
    I do have a 6.4" LCD display I can use just need to connect it to power and wire it to either NTSC or VGA. I guess that might be tonights project.
    Please tell me what make LCD display that is that takes either NTSC or VGA. It is the size I've been looking for. Thanks.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
  • DgswanerDgswaner Posts: 795
    edited 2008-02-26 21:10
    hey Pete, just to clarify, I was referring to a serial 4x16 LCD display not a LCD display that connects via VGA or even NTSC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "A complex design is the sign of an inferior designer." - Jamie Hyneman, Myth Buster

DGSwaner