Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
ART and propeller? — Parallax Forums

ART and propeller?

JanCardellJanCardell Posts: 10
edited 2008-02-29 13:38 in Propeller 1
Any artists on this forum using the propeller?

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-02-24 20:22
    I've built several controllers for artists I know using the Propeller. There's a description in the "Completed Projects" forum of a sound installation controller using a Protoboard and two VMusic2 MP3 players. I've also built part of another piece using a uOLED-96-Prop for a smart graphics display.

There are parts of other pieces built with Stamps that I'd redo with a Propeller if they ever need to be revised.
  • TubularTubular Posts: 4,646
    edited 2008-02-24 22:45
    I used to help out at the "interactives" workshop of the local science museum. Basic stamps were sometimes used for controlling exhibits, driving laserdisc players etc. But the Propeller strikes me as very potent for throwing exhibits together quickly due to its cog architecture and flexible i/o

One fun and cheap "installation" would be to connect up an array of lots of PC keyboards as a "kids dance floor". With something like a silicon blanket over them to spread the pressure and reduce tripping. You'd easily get 6 or 7 kb's per prop and possibly more. Uplink that data into a master prop which works out that generates psychedelic video patterns that are then projected from above back onto the dance floor...

I'd also love someone to port something like "tux paint" onto the prop for my kids... (much search to see if anyone has done a painting proggie for the prop already)...

Jan what kind of art are you thinking of unleashing?
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2008-02-25 09:03
    If not there should be!

This is a rather direct example of what the prop could easily do: www.taomc.com/
  • JanCardellJanCardell Posts: 10
    edited 2008-02-25 13:21
    Well… I am a Swedish artist. I’m using microprocessors for my music playing sculptures. I have used pic microcontrollers and parallax assembler for about 10 years. See my work on: www.jancardell.com
    At my latest exhibition I used a propeller for the first time. The propeller controlled 6 ping and Handled an interactive system for people walking in the gallery playing music. The sculpture was a Grass orchestra. It really worked fine! I’m now writing my interactive – music composing Program in spin. It was written in parallax assembler for a Pic 16F877A but the ram memory is full!
  • ClemensClemens Posts: 236
    edited 2008-02-25 18:48
    Jan, is the sound in "ELECTRIC BAS" really coming all from the machine? It sounds like there is someone playing the contrabass in the background. - This all sounds/looks very impressive, I love kinetic arts, I'd like to see those objects. You should get some Scandinavian oil company to sponsor you an exhibition in Berlin!
    I did not have the guts to go into the arts direction and chose to become a boring graphic designer instead...
    LOL - just kidding, no regrets.
    Cheers, Clemens
    edited 2008-02-25 19:57
    Hi!
    Yes all sounds comes from the sculptures. there ar no samples or someone playing in the background.
  • ClemensClemens Posts: 236
    edited 2008-02-25 21:53
    Wow, that' really amazing. When I first heard it, it reminded me of a song from Renaud Garcia-Fons, a french double bass player.
    edited 2008-02-25 21:53
    Jan, wow! I'm not sure which Sweden produces more of - your impressive sculptures or Volvos. I look forward to playing with one of these, one day.

As an artist, does the Propeller and its possibilities inspire you? Or is it just a convenient way of realising your creative vision? It does inspire me, but then I'm an engineer.

Also there are some interesting "analog" touch sensors becoming available - sensing up to a few inches away - do your sculptures use anything similar, or might they in the future?
    edited 2008-02-25 23:16
    Clemens: Thanks!
    Tubular: I dont't think there is a problem with: inspire and/or realising. Yes the propeller inspier and is a way to realise ideas..
    I like to hear more about the new sensors!
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2008-02-25 23:55
    My top adjective for the propeller is "empowers".
    edited 2008-02-29 13:38
    Jan,

I have been playing recently with various touch sensor IC's. Motorola and Omron. The Motorola evaluation board puts out a serial stream and you can see the analog value change when you approach the electrodes. The electrodes could of course be metal parts of your sculptures. The Omrons are perhaps too digital to be interesting for your sculptures.

I'll do a quick test later to determine the sensing distance on the Motorola for a large electrode, say a football wrapped in foil or something...