Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2 Submersible ROV - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

BS2 Submersible ROV

2»

Comments

• NinjaTechNinjaTech Posts: 8
    edited 2009-05-02 10:02
    Submersible robot eh? Pretty unique and stunning design!
    If I were to wet my bot it will fry within milliseconds.
  • robotmakerrobotmaker Posts: 1
    edited 2009-05-03 10:49
    Very nice project !

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    French Robotic Forum : www.Robot-Passion.com
  • ManetherenManetheren Posts: 117
    edited 2009-05-05 13:06
    Have you thought about making this wireless in the future once you have the bugs worked out that is. The magnetic ballast sounds like a good idea.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tia'Shar Manetheren
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-05-05 16:01
    The problem with wireless is that it is difficult (impossible for hobby projects?) to transmit underwater.
    edited 2009-05-05 19:42
    Not impossible, but has to use VLF frequencies. I know the real subs use VLF with very big transmitters, but you would only need to go a couple hundred yards at most for a hobby sub. Anyone know of Subspace communications yet?????

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tia'Shar Manetheren
    edited 2009-05-05 19:49
    You might try fiber optic cable for the communications with the sub as this would be lighter and easier to attain nuetral boyancy. Plastic fiber optic cable should propogate your signal fine with an inexpensive light source or laser light source. Not sure what you would use for the video, but I am sure there are schematics for something.

http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/danise/cart.pl?db=stuff.dat&category=jacketed
    This was some of the cheaper stuff i found and thought it might work in this type of application.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tia'Shar Manetheren
  • PainlessPainless Posts: 69
    edited 2009-06-05 23:26
    Supposedly sound travels much faster and further underwater, so an extremely low frequency initiated by an antenna that is in the water may be the ticket. Some subs tow a buoy behind them which essentially floats an antenna on the surface connected to the sub by a cable, also a possibility for you.
  • CounterRotatingPropsCounterRotatingProps Posts: 1,132
    edited 2009-06-11 23:39
    Interesting that this thread, er, ah, resurfaced <G>

but the original poster who did this waay coool project hasn't been here since May 2008 --- anybody know what happened to his ROV - or him, for that matter?

( Hope he didn't scare up a monster from the bottom of the lake and get eaten!· freaked.gif

- Howard
    (thinking how fun and diffcult it would be to do this in the Atlantic Ocean which is 700 feet from where I sit now...)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Got Electrons?
  • ceruleanplainsceruleanplains Posts: 11
    edited 2009-07-03 04:26
    There's a nice book by Westcoastworlds that details a lot about how to build and underwater ROV (per its title). I picked it up after I was working on my own ROV project.

I'm currently working on using a PS2 controller with a custom designed set of 2 H-bridge and one half-H bridge with PWM using a 4424/ MOFSET architecture. I'm actually trying to network two BS2's together to complete this project.

As references I'm using the N&V article #101 (Playstation Control Redux), the Westcoastworld text, among others. My current ROV is not controlled by a microcontroller in the loop but I'm testing it with a manual set of 3 DPDT switches for motor control.

My previous project had worked on a sensor module for the ROV including a compass, accelerometer, temperature sensors, volt meter, and a water detector from the Applied Sensors and Advanced Sensors kits.

Thanks to articles like these for inspiration
  • P!-RoP!-Ro Posts: 1,189
    edited 2009-07-03 06:03
    "I know the real subs use VLF with very big transmitters, but you would only need to go a couple hundred yards at most for a hobby sub."

Maybe you could use this: http://www.thegpsstore.com/Standard-Horizon-HX280S-Handheld-VHF-P2021C17.aspx

Somewhere there is a post by Ken showing how to communicate information using radios like this, but I can't seem to find it. Maybe you will have better luck.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    PG
    edited 2009-07-03 18:22
    Pi Guy and ceruleanplains,

we've got a thread going over in the sensors forum about communication underwater, sonar, and submersible rov --- I was partly inspired by this thread here too. Please drop in and join us, if you'd like:

http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=36&m=363698
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=819404

Several folks have mentioned there how poorly normal radio frequences work underwater - as in they really don't work at all :-| ... so those radios won't be of much help, unless you have the sub teather-tied to a buoy floating topside, with the radio on the buoy acting as the relay/intermediary.

This is fun - and challenging - stuff

cheers
    -Howard

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (CounterRotatingProps) : 8/6/2009 3:50:28 PM GMT
  • ProcessingData...ProcessingData... Posts: 208
    edited 2009-07-04 00:24
    I believe that low frequency RF (3 Meter) will transmit out of and through water.-- ProccessingData...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Basic Stamp,···· Propeller,·· · SX,·· FUN!

START:·
    >Proccessing Data. . . .··
    >Task Complete. . .·.
    >Saving Data. . . .
    >Entering SLEEP Mode. . . .
    >Signing OFF

·
  • P!-RoP!-Ro Posts: 1,189
    edited 2009-07-04 05:38
    lol, so many ideas flowing with so little known. well, as for my own two cents, i advise using ir. and srry crp, im using my phone so i cnt follow your link.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    PG
  • mw0868mw0868 Posts: 4
    edited 2009-08-06 02:57
    Cool ROV. I tinkered with dual bilge pumps for propelling a radio-controlled aquatic vehicle because they had to be completely submerged and wouldn't fit anywhere else. Normally, you only get propulsion in one direction with a bilge pump. So I hacked off the end with the nozzle and was left with just a sealed motor and exposed pump impellor. Then I used marine epoxy to attach some props to the impellors. I had to search a while, but finally found some small plastic appliance fans with four blades that fit perfectly on the impellors. Not the best water props, but they worked well enough. I had no problems with them in a swimming pool. And they were nice and quiet -- that's important for a motorized goose decoy. smilewinkgrin.gif
  • PrettybirdPrettybird Posts: 269
    edited 2009-08-06 10:23
    Had a little experience with 12 volt motors in Nuke plants. We used modifies 12v servos (industial type not hobby) along with carbon electrodes to burn holes in stainless steel with EDM machinery. You can't drain nukes. The motors worked but eventually rusted out. Better keep spares.
    edited 2009-08-06 16:05
    [noparse][[/noparse]Fixed dead link in my last post - sorry, thread moved, but links inside posts don't get updated automatically.]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-09-08 17:50
    any updates on this project? Very cool project.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tia'Shar Manetheren