Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Announcement: IRC general discussion — Parallax Forums

Announcement: IRC general discussion

dfletchdfletch Posts: 165
edited 2008-03-02 03:41 in Propeller 1
Hi everyone!

So we have started an unofficial Propeller IRC channel. I'd like to take this opportunity to invite everyone.

This started out as some replies to another recent discussion. There are three primary goals of this IRC chatroom:

1) Help newbies find information they need quickly and easily, possibly even helping to keep the forums focused on more interesting advanced problems.

2) Discuss some projects and issues in a bit more private and informal setting.

3) Meet amazingly cool people.

There is no absolute requirement of any kind of being on-topic (no trolling or flamewars please though!). It's a place to meet the folks who work with and love the Propeller chip.

We also offer space for discussion of Propeller open source projects and ideas for new projects.

After the first night of running the channel, it appears that it would be nice to have weekly meeting times, where everyone can get online at the same time. I realize that some of us don't keep an IRC client open at all times [noparse];)[/noparse] So we'll have a consistent time where we can offer bigger gatherings. I'm trying to decide what time is best. I'm thinking:

Every Saturday, 17:00GMT

That's 9AM for those of us on the US westside, and ~5pm for Europe. So, please reply here and let me know if this suggestion works, or we'll tweak it until it works for the biggest possible crowd.

See you on IRC!

irc.freenode.net

channel: #propeller

click for IRC instructions

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Join us in the Un-Official Propeller IRC channel: irc.freenode.net #propeller
Newbies, oldies, programmers, math professors, and everyone in-between welcome!
Propeller IRC howto

Post Edited (dfletch) : 3/1/2008 6:13:20 PM GMT

Comments

• DroneDrone Posts: 433
    edited 2008-02-23 21:21
    Just a note regarding security... IMHO IRC is HORRIBLY insecure. I would only use IRC on an "expendable" or highly secured "virtual" machine. The only time I go into IRC is with a "live" CD-boot version of Linux. Even then, only with dial-up access (as my ISP changes my dial-up IP address dynamically per session, my DOCSIS cable-ISP changes my ISP rarely). IRC 'bots are a real source of trouble. Beware. IRC is relatively low-rate though with text, you may be able to anonomize your connection via something like the Onion Router network (Google Onion Router and TOR) and still get good results. Be careful with IRC.

David
  • tpw_mantpw_man Posts: 276
    edited 2008-02-23 21:23
    It also works using Konversation with linux and KDE.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I am 1010, so be surprised!
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,260
    edited 2008-02-23 21:32
    Can't you just run it with scripting off?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller Wiki: Share the coolness!

Chat in real time with other Propellerheads on IRC #propeller @ freenode.net
  • dfletchdfletch Posts: 165
    edited 2008-02-23 23:17
    Sorry but this is misinformation. There is nothing inherently insecure about IRC.

Some individual programs may have security holes, but there is no universal IRC "attack". I say this as someone who spends 24/7 in IRC channels without a "protected" connection.

Yes your IP address is visible (however it can be cloaked upon request). You aren't connected directly to the internet on a Windows machine without a firewall, right?!

Also note - Freenode is not the cesspool that other IRC networks are. It is dedicated to advancing open source software and with the notable exception of a few huge channels (like #ubuntu for example) is a very nice place to hang.

Cheers,

--fletch

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller IRC howto
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,260
    edited 2008-02-24 16:40
    Most of us are behind NAT's, and with ports closed. That does a lot to eliminate knowing an IP being a security problem.

Also, the client applications --at least the one linked in the wiki, can be set to not allow file transfers automatically, and if you are really worried, can also unload the handler DLL's for sounds, exe's and such.

With those things done, I had a friend try some stuff on my connection. It's a non-issue.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller Wiki: Share the coolness!

Chat in real time with other Propellerheads on IRC #propeller @ freenode.net
    edited 2008-02-29 18:39
    Ok so nobody has any preference other than my suggestion for a meeting time, so we'll run with it:

17:00 GMT, Saturday February 30

There will be two short topics of the day, and then we'll quickly get to open discussion.

First topic is topics! It would be nice to have some focus in weekly meetings. So for this first one, we'll talk about how we want to handle the direction of the discussion in future meets. It could range anywhere from very informal chat on a subject up to little in-IRC mini-lessons where an instructor gives a short lesson followed by q&a. I'm not sure what would be most useful, so come by and give your opinion! If we do lessons, we'll also need teachers, so think about that too.

Second topic is "using the bot for the good of Humanity". The evil bot lesson is more advanced, you'll have to wait for that one tongue.gif Our little bot can teach and learn. For basic instructions, see the IRC how-to page propeller.wikispaces.com/Join+us+on+IRC%21

See you all tomorrow on IRC!

Cheers,

--fletch

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller IRC howto
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2008-02-29 19:11
    dfletch said...
    17:00 GMT, Saturday February 30

I went to mark that on my calender, but couldn't find it smilewinkgrin.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio - the modular Development system for the Propeller

PropNIC - Add ethernet ability to your Propeller! PropJoy - Plug in a joystick and play some games!

SD card Adapter - mass storage for the masses Audio/Video adapter add composite video and sound to your Proto Board
    edited 2008-02-29 19:19
    LOL remind me not to put up IRC reminders before coffee smile.gif

Let's make that Saturday, March 1 17:00GMT!

Cheers,

--fletch

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller IRC howto
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2008-02-29 20:36
    Hei,

As I _never_ used irc before... I just installed this Konversation and would like to test it somehow so I'll be connected now, say 21:40 GMT+1, so germany winter time smile.gif if anyone is there, my nickname is ale500(pacito).
    Let's see what happens...

Ale
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-02-29 22:50
    That should be GMT-5:00 for us US/Eastern people.. 12:00noon?
    (Think I've got that right)

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with the Protoboard? - Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card? - PropDOS
    A Living Propeller FAQ - The Propeller Wiki
    (Got the Knowledge? Got a Moment? Add something today!)

edited 2008-03-01 16:57
    Meeting in progress, come say hi!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller IRC howto
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-03-01 17:32
    Here's another decent IRC program..

www.mirc.com/

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with the Protoboard? - Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card? - PropDOS
    A Living Propeller FAQ - The Propeller Wiki
    (Got the Knowledge? Got a Moment? Add something today!)

edited 2008-03-01 18:29
    Meeting notes:

Some general messing around with the bot. Everyone present was already proficient in querying and teaching it.

Oohs and aahs over the neat Dragons Lair video http://www.propgfx.co.uk/forum/Blah.pl?m-1204149218/

Talked about having some fun making an IRC client for the Prop over PropNIC http://ucontroller.com/documentation/PropNICDoc.html

OBC mentioned a text editor work in progress. A few ideas tossed around on how to store text larger than screen buffer.

A bit of buzz about the C compiler. dfletcher wonders about the LMM, what kind of memory it uses. no definitive answers on that one.

Theman asks if the support for USB thumb drives is as good as the SD support, but nobody present has tried it.

See you next week (or any time really, just drop by!)

PS - the time of the meetup can still be changed if it suits more people!

Cheers,

--fletch

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller IRC howto
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-03-02 03:41
    Sorry I couldn't make it to IRC. On the type of memory LMM uses, that would normally be Hub Memory ( the 32KB RAM, treated as 8K x 32-bit longs ).

Although there's no reason external Eeprom couldn't be used, it would be awfully slow in comparison and a little more complicated. I wouldn't call it true-LMM but it would embrace the basic principle of get a PASM instruction from outside the Cog, place it in the Cog, execute it, repeat.