Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Tool and VISTA - again — Parallax Forums

Propeller Tool and VISTA - again

ChristophChristoph Posts: 13
edited 2008-02-26 00:48 in Propeller 1
Hi,

As I wrote a few days ago, VISTA won't let me run prop tools (no matter which version) anymore.
This time nothing I can think of will be of any help.

Whenever I start Prop all I get is the initial screen with the object view hierarchy. Sometimes
I'm given the names of programs, sometimes pathes are just blank. And after that - nothing.
Not even stopping the program by drastic means (i.e. task manager) is easy.

After having fiddled with VISTA for the past few days I've given up finally. I'm sort of
helping myself by running the Prop tools within a virtual Win2K·PC. Which isn't all
that great either because I've not managed to have more than one USB-Serial-device
running which I would need. But it's a work-around.

Okay, I'm aware that this forum is not really the place for this since it's·most certainly
a VISTA and maybe even user thing [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Still, if anyone has had similar experiences and·can offer any help ^/v explanation
it would be greatly appreciated ...

Christoph

VISTA - Vomiting Is Still The Appropriate

[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Comments

• Jim ColemanJim Coleman Posts: 52
    edited 2008-02-23 15:44
    Christoph

For what it is worth, I have VISTA and love it. No problem with prop tool. I subscribe to Windows Live One Care, $60 per year, and my VISTA software is constantly updated, something to think about. My laptop is a relatively cheap $1000 HP.

Jim
  • Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
    edited 2008-02-23 15:44
    Do you get any error messages?

I would try a test for you but I'm still on MS Win XP . Below are a few general tips for other VISTA problems that you could consider but they may have nothing to do with you problem.

========================================================================================================================================
    A lot of problems with VISTA and older programs have to do with user not having ADMIN rights to run it. In some cases yo can click on the program icon and go to properties and select a check box to run the program with ADMIN rights.

* other cases such as when you can not communicate with hardware such as a USB device:

- This happens when you have User Account control set to ON in your Vista OS.

Try the following as a test and ensure logged in as the administrator:

go to :Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Turn User Account Control on or off ->

- uncheck Use User Account Control (UAC) and click OK
    ========================================================================================
  • Jim ColemanJim Coleman Posts: 52
    edited 2008-02-23 15:58
    For what it is worth, my User Account Control is checked and I have no problems.
  • QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
    edited 2008-02-23 18:45
    IMO - Vista is a virus ... have to wait for a few service pack before I would even consider it !!

this springs to mind .. I love it !
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVbf9tOGwno

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Necessity is the mother of invention'

Post Edited (QuattroRS4) : 2/23/2008 6:52:39 PM GMT
  • ChristophChristoph Posts: 13
    edited 2008-02-23 18:53
    To Bob:

I had tried the Admin thing already (starting both install.exe and prop tool as an Admin, also setting rights for

the files to "everyone"). Didn't work though. And I just tried disabling user account control as You suggested.

I can't even·install the prop tools, program just freezes while "computing space requirements".

To Jim:

I'm no Windows hater, really. Only, if I had taken certain warnings seriously, I would have installed good old XP

when I bought my new PC. From what I hear, XP with the forthcoming service pack will easyly outperform VISTA

by lengths ...

I'm glad I've got VMWARE or else I wouldn't be programming my Prop anymore [noparse];)[/noparse]

Bye,

Christoph
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-02-24 00:18
    We have never experienced nor had reports of the Tool not working in Vista except updating the USB-Serial drivers. Now you say it doesn't work anymore, does this mean it did work under Vista at one point? If so what changed in your system since then?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Paul Baker (Parallax)) : 2/24/2008 12:24:26 AM GMT
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,261
    edited 2008-02-24 00:46
    Is this Vista with the new service pack, SP1 maybe?

Been hearing lots of additional poor compatability reports on it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller Wiki: Share the coolness!

Chat in real time with other Propellerheads on IRC #propeller @ freenode.net
    edited 2008-02-24 13:17
    To Potatohead:

No SP1 yet (I was·advised to wait for some time and I'm inclined to do so [noparse]:)[/noparse] ).

I'm expecting a whole new set of problems after·SP1 [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Christoph
    edited 2008-02-24 13:37
    To Paul:

First of all: it is working for me right now. I wouldn't consider this problem to be

solved but well ...

What I did:

- De-Installed some programs (unfortunately I can't remember all programs I installed recently).

-·Reset VISTA·to a system restore point from a few days ago

- Re-Installed what was missing and important

- Re-Installed Propeller Tools

And, as I said, it is working so far. I can·run the program as "non-Admin" and the USB drivers are

obviously intact.

Driver-problems? There have been error messages during driver installing. Maybe that was indeed an issue.

Maybe by restoring the system I got rid of erroneous installments. I can't quit believe it, though ...

I could always use my USB <-> Serial devices while Prop Tools weren't working ... Something I did

during the past days was installing a USB driver update offered to me by VISTA. Maybe that?

Around the time Prop tools started misfunctioning I received various other windows updates (which performed

without any obvious errors). I installed OFFICE 2007 Trial, along with some updates for it. I installed NI-Visa 4.3

for Labviews. And unfortunately lots of "tools" and programs which sometimes didn't remain on my PC for longer

than a few minutes. So there's really no way of telling ...

I'll try to refrain from installing anything fresh for a while (apart from Windows Updates) and see if stuff

keeps working.

Thanks to all for Your help!

Christoph
  • QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
    edited 2008-02-24 14:11
    ooh .. installing the office 2007 trial .. has proven to be a nasty! Uninstalling it can cause havoc with interops etc..

Glad you are back on track though !

Regards,
    John

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Necessity is the mother of invention'
  • crgwbrcrgwbr Posts: 614
    edited 2008-02-25 00:37
    As far as I know, my copy of PropTool v1.06 works just fine under Vista. It's one of the few programs that does :P

Regards,
    Craig

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    My system: 1.6 GHz AMD Turion64 X2, 4GB DDR2, 256MB ATI Radeon Graphics card, 15.4" Widescreen HD Screen

I have a duel boot of Ubuntu Linux and Windows Vista. Vista, because it came with the PC, Ubuntu because I like software that works.

"Failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with Windows."

Use The Best...
    Linux for Servers
    Mac for Graphics
    Palm for Mobility
    Windows for Solitaire
  • JanCardellJanCardell Posts: 10
    edited 2008-02-25 13:39
    My object info (F8) do not work i a very good way. No scrollbars....
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2008-02-26 00:48
    Christoph said...

·I installed OFFICE 2007 Trial, along with some updates for it.

·= Microsoft re-asserting that it owns your computer in every respect. You are merely·their witness.
    ·