Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
CNC Experience Needed — Parallax Forums

CNC Experience Needed

PhilldapillPhilldapill Posts: 1,283
edited 2008-02-21 21:49 in Propeller 1
Anyone with some CNC experience here? I'm building a CNC machine and would like to use the prop for the low level part of it. However, I don't feel like reinventing the wheel when it comes to the software part, so I'd like to use some premade CNC software, and interface it with the prop. Basically, I'm ok with the software telling the prop the basica actions, like move to X Y Z, and the prop takes care of the motor control or something. Suggestions?

Comments

• stevenmess2004stevenmess2004 Posts: 1,102
    edited 2008-02-20 05:42
    Most CNC machines are driven by a thing called g-codes (try a google search). Other than that I don't know much. Have you seen the RepRap and the other homemade rapidprotyping machines?
  • Chuck McManisChuck McManis Posts: 65
    edited 2008-02-20 08:03
    Phil, you don't need to do anything special in the Propeller. All of the free CNC software packages will revert to a simple 'step/direction' output on the parallel port. So if you have the Propeller connected to the PC parallel port (with appropriate resistors) and you look for step and direction pulses then translate those into sending out the right sequence of states to move the stepper motor you are done.

--Chuck
    (who has a Sherline Mill set up for CNC operation)
  • sevssevs Posts: 50
    edited 2008-02-20 23:50
    If you want to have the prop interpret g-code and then follow the instructions, i found this site good for an introduction to the basic codes. Look just past half way and there is a list of basic instructions and the format the g-code is in.

www.dakeng.com/man/turbocnc.html

This is something i have been thinking about doing for a while, but i started learning how to use the prop instead [noparse]:)[/noparse]

This site is also interesting...

xdobs.com/cnc/gcode-introduction.html

sevs
  • chad123chad123 Posts: 4
    edited 2008-02-21 12:21
    Hi Phil,

I have 5 home-brew cnc machines under my belt let me know if you have any questions. As for writing your own g code interpreter don't even think about it. There are a couple of very good pc based versions available for free or little money.

I like Mach3 http://www.artsoftcontrols.com/artsoft/index/index.htm

there is another called EMC. It is not as polished or maintained as mach.

Mach will run for free to about 150 lines of g code if you need more than you can spend 150 and fully unlock it. It is worth every penny.

Chad
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,510
    edited 2008-02-21 21:42
    turbocnc is another free CNC controller that runs in DOS.

Graham
  • QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
    edited 2008-02-21 21:49
    While not related to G code etc .. I thought this link may be topical .. I have used these controllers in combination with Propeller .. could save on writing code and building stepper controllers ..

www.motioncontrolproducts.co.uk/index.php?cPath=5&osCsid=5586656e684809c5ac04a7c30b9cf6fd

Regards,
    John

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Necessity is the mother of invention'