Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Development Board (Part #32111) — Parallax Forums

Propeller Development Board (Part #32111)

liljoentxliljoentx Posts: 25
edited 2008-07-23 17:23 in Propeller 1
"Coming soon!" hop.gif

is how it is advertised in the new (2008) catalog I received a few weeks ago.

Does anyone know when "soon" is? Prior to Prop II, or post? rolleyes.gif
Lil'Joe

Comments

• Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
    edited 2008-02-19 22:33
    Another Reference to it here:

The Propeller Demo Board (#32100) and the Propeller Professional Development Board (#32111) do not
    require the Prop Clip or Prop Plug; both of these boards have the USB-to-serial circuit built into the PCB.
    The Propeller Proto Board (planned release Q1 2007) accepts the Prop Plug out of the box, and the
    layout also supports the USB2SER and the Prop Clip
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-02-19 22:46
    liljoentx said...

Does anyone know when "soon" is? Prior to Prop II, or post? rolleyes.gif
    Lil'Joe
    We just solved·some manufacturing issues with the QFN parts, we are awaiting first article, and pending it's approval we will ramp up production. This is·a 1-2 month process, so way before the Prop II.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • Mike CookMike Cook Posts: 829
    edited 2008-07-21 18:44
    Any update?

Thanks!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike
  • Brian LBrian L Posts: 60
    edited 2008-07-22 06:39
    Does this new PDB have it's prop soldered to the board, or is it a replaceable one in the 40 pin DIP socket? I've not seen the printed catalog info on it.
  • Ken PetersonKen Peterson Posts: 806
    edited 2008-07-22 13:19
    As Paul mentioned, it's a QFN.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Mike CookMike Cook Posts: 829
    edited 2008-07-22 13:50
    Unless they did a redesign the Propeller looks to be the DIP version.

·

attachment.php?attachmentid=54681
    Features of the Propeller Professional Development Board include:
    • 40-pin DIP socket (supports P8X32A-D40, available separately)
    • 32K EEPROM (24LC256 included) in socket
    • Socketed Crystal (5 MHz included)
    • 6-digit, 16-segment LED Display (Blue, RHDP)
    • 16 blue LEDs
    • L293D quad push-pull driver
    • Eight push-buttons
    • Eight DIP switches
    • Two potentiometers (10K)
    • Eight servo headers with selectable internal/external voltage source
    • DS1302 real-time clock with backup battery input (battery not included)
    • Stereo headphone amplifier with 1/8” (3.5 mm) stereo phone jack
    • RS-232 line driver (MAX3232E)
    • RCA jack for TV/Composite video output
    • Two PS/2 connectors for mouse/keyboard interfacing
    • VGA connector
    • 2.1 mm barrel power jack and power switch
    • 5 V and 3.3 V power supply connections
    • Ground Terminal
    • On-board USB Interface (mini-B, 5 pin)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike

Post Edited (Mike Cook) : 7/22/2008 1:57:58 PM GMT
    838 x 490 - 76K
    edited 2008-07-22 15:57
    No the QFN part I was refering to is the FTDI chip, The Propeller is the DIP for easy replacement. We expect to receive the intial lot shortly followed by the bulk of our inital order. At this stage it is difficult to give a date even though we are so close because they typically take a slow boat from China and shipping time can vary depending on the weather.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
  • MarkSMarkS Posts: 342
    edited 2008-07-22 20:27
    I was about to (possibly still will) start work on a project with a similar concept, but with a design like those Radio Shack electronics labs from years ago. Still, nicely done.
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-07-22 22:15
    My boy wants me to build a spring-based electronics kit based on the Propeller.

I was thinking that I would get one of the old 160-in-1 kits from Ebay and change the cardboard top
    with something that has a Propeller chip, various electronics and one of those hacked Cyberhome screens.

I figure I could use the springs/wood-box from the original kit.
    I hate to sacrifice an antique, but if it gets him into electronics/propeller it would be worth it.

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with the Protoboard? - Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card? - PropDOS
    Need a part? Got spare electronics? - The Electronics Exchange
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2008-07-23 02:22
    Paul,

Looks great.

I did a parts search and it isn't showing up.

Looks like this will be a final board design before the Prop II, so assuming that you have time to take a breath:

I would really love to see the equivalent of a UOLED 128 on a Prop II development board. I can hook it up, but I can't do the mechanicals to satisfy me... having it right on the board, with a microSD card would be really slick.

(and I'd still love to see a development board built around the 96 ... the 96 is a little funky when it comes to temperature, so putting the whole thing in a small fridge would make sense. I know that Chip is proud of the fact that he can heat coffee with a Prop without frying the Prop, but what about the rest of us who would just like a cold Fresca? A development board that also keeps your drinks cold makes perfect sense to me[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Rich
  • tmatuctmatuc Posts: 6
    edited 2008-07-23 03:09
    Prop II? Is there a new Propeller chip about to be released?
    edited 2008-07-23 03:23
    Oldbitcollector said...
    My boy wants me to build a spring-based electronics kit based on the Propeller.

I was thinking that I would get one of the old 160-in-1 kits from Ebay and change the cardboard top
    with something that has a Propeller chip, various electronics and one of those hacked Cyberhome screens.

I figure I could use the springs/wood-box from the original kit.
    I hate to sacrifice an antique, but if it gets him into electronics/propeller it would be worth it.

OBC

I always hated those springs. If I do this, there will be female headers in place of the springs. However, you get the idea.
    edited 2008-07-23 03:23
    Yes,

Chip is pregnant again... but the due date is anywhere between next week and next year. I am praying for non-identical twins... the best or both worlds, leaving no room for complaints, speculation or competition[noparse]:)[/noparse] or maybe triplets or quads. The first one out takes the most work... after that, it is just a matter of pushing[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Think about it... about three years ago there were only three people that actually understood the Prop I... and two of them were busy designing the Prop II.

Absolutely amazing.

Rich
    edited 2008-07-23 04:44
    Thats surprising given:

We plan on a very long sales life for the Propeller and we have no intention of diluting the concept with many slight variants, for
    which you'd inevitably be getting end-of-life notices for after a few years. This is good news for customers, because they are the
    ones who are going to be making investments in programming that will, in sum, dwarf the energy that we spent developing the
    Propeller. We made a platform that is, hopefully, deserving of their coming efforts.
    Sincerely,
    Chip Gracey
    President
    Parallax, Inc.
    February 7, 2007
    edited 2008-07-23 13:26
    The Prop II is not a slight variant. [noparse];)[/noparse]
    edited 2008-07-23 13:41
    AND there is no evidence that the Prop I will ever get an end of life notice.
    edited 2008-07-23 13:58
    I think its great news! Are there any preliminary specs on it?
    edited 2008-07-23 14:14
    No official specs but lots of hints sprinkled around... someone made a composite description, but I honestly can't find the link.
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-07-23 15:45
    Compared to other companies who produce dozens, hundreds, if not thousands of variants
    a couple of versions of the Propeller doesn't really dilute or confuse the market. I'd disagree
    with MarkS somewhat because although there will be changes in the Prop II it won't be that
    different to the Prop I, just a lot more of the same, and a few bonuses thrown in.

There was also a third variant planned, a Prop one and a half; same as Prop I but with 64 I/O
    but, if I recall right, that's been caught up in technical difficulties which aren't in Parallax's
    control.

I think that makes for a 'nice family' rather than so many offerings it's almost impossible to
    know what to choose !
    edited 2008-07-23 17:23
    tmatuc, yes another chip has been in development for a year now. If you want to see what information we have diseminated about the chip, take a look at the extremely long thread of "More cogs or RAM?". FYI, the period for user feedback in the thread is closed, and as a general point we typically·defer from·responding to the thread anymore (it just starts protracted debates).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Paul Baker (Parallax)) : 7/23/2008 5:28:58 PM GMT