Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
HYDrA-NET I/O Pins — Parallax Forums

HYDrA-NET I/O Pins

Steve NelickSteve Nelick Posts: 25
edited 2008-02-28 03:13 in Propeller 1
Question: What propeller pins are assigned to the Hydra-Net rj11 port on the Hydra board?

I'm looking at page 170 in the Game Programming book, table 12:2, "I/O pins used on Propeller Chip for Communications", and it looks like propeller pin 3 is Tx, and propeller pin 2 is Rx. But, when I looked at the souce library spin programs for Hydra-Net it look like propeller pin 2 is Tx, and propeler pin 1 is Rx.

I connected a rj11 cable from·the Hydra board to my Propeller Education Kit board, and I programmed the Hydra to toggle pin 2. It looks like the rj11 green wire coming into the Education Kit·board, from the Hydra, has·the signal from the Hydra.

Comments

• ColeyColey Posts: 1,110
    edited 2008-02-19 17:57
    Hi Steve,

P0 is Pin 1 - Debug LED
    P1 is Pin 2 - NET_RX_CLK
    P2 is Pin 3 - NET_TX_DAT

The software refers to the port number not the pin number ie P1 and P2 are in fact Propeller Pin 2 and Pin 3

Hope that helps....

Regards,

Coley

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    PropGFX Forums - The home of the Hybrid Development System and PropGFX Lite

Title_Logo_Small.jpg
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2008-02-21 03:25
    Also, in general TX can mean RX, RX can mean TX depending on labeling. Also, refer to the hydra net demo since it specifically bit bangs the ports.

Andre'
  • Steve NelickSteve Nelick Posts: 25
    edited 2008-02-21 14:15
    Hi AndreL and Coley

Thanks for the messages!

The Hydra-Net I set up is working. On the Hydra Board, the Propeller has·the usual 32k RAM, and with·a Parallax 2.5 inch LCD display, and with double buffering to·keep·a moving·sprite from flickering,·as the Game Programming book predicted, I·was·running out of memory.·So, I added a second Propeller, and I used the Hydra-Net to communicate between the two Propellers.

The Propeller on the Hydra Board handles the video screen image and the Nintendo NES game controller. The second·Propeller handles·a Parallax eb500 Bluetooth transceiver, and a Parallax 4X20 LCD.· So, the Hydra Propeller sends·the 1 byte output from the NES game controller over to the second·Propeller, and·the·second Propeller sends the 2-byte xy location of the robot over to the Hydra Board Propeller.

I found that if I put too much on the 2.5 inch video display it gets crowded, so the second Propeller also displays the robot's sensor readings on·the LCD.
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-02-22 03:15
    Awesome project! How about some pics? [noparse]:)[/noparse]

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with the Protoboard? - Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card? - PropDOS
    A Living Propeller FAQ - The Propeller Wiki
    (Got the Knowledge? Got a Moment? Add something today!)

• AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2008-02-28 03:13
    Cool, also, did you find that you could put 100-300 feet of phone cable and it worked perfectly? And did you try enabling disabling the passive filter, did it make a diff if you were getting errors on the data?

Yes, show pics [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Andre'