Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
AT512 or 24C512 — Parallax Forums

AT512 or 24C512

william chanwilliam chan Posts: 1,326
edited 2008-02-19 10:43 in Propeller 1
Hi,

I looked at the EEPROM chip on the Propeller ProtoBoard and the words AT512 are printed on it.
Is it the same as 24C512?

Why isn't Parallax selling this chip?

I think this chip makes more sense b'cos we can store application data as well, which is important.
I think the Propeller Demo Board, Prop RPM, PropStick, Spin Stamp and all other boards should use this eeprom.
Why are they all using the 32K eeprom?

If we read and write data to this chip, can we accidentally overwrite the program?
Will there be contention between the SPIN interpreter and the Application because both will be trying to access this eeprom?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
www.fd.com.my
www.mercedes.com.my

Comments

• stevenmess2004stevenmess2004 Posts: 1,102
    edited 2008-02-19 10:43
    [noparse][[/noparse]quote]I think this chip makes more sense b'cos we can store application data as well, which is important.
    I think the Propeller Demo Board, Prop RPM, PropStick, Spin Stamp and all other boards should use this eeprom.
    Why are they all using the 32K eeprom?
    Would agree with this. The proto board and the hydra use a bigger eeprom chip though.

[noparse][[/noparse]quote]If we read and write data to this chip, can we accidentally overwrite the program?
    Yes, this is possible. Some programs even do it on purpose. For example, the schedule program that I worked on with computer guy did this so that changes to the schedule get retained even if the propeller loses power.

[noparse][[/noparse]quote]Will there be contention between the SPIN interpreter and the Application because both will be trying to access this eeprom?
    No. When the prop starts it copies the first 32kB of the eeprom into RAM and runs all programs from there. After loading the program it never uses the eeprom again unless you tell it to.

Hope that this helps smile.gif