Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
uOLED-IOC (an I/O expansion carrier for the uOLED-96-PROP) — Parallax Forums

uOLED-IOC (an I/O expansion carrier for the uOLED-96-PROP)

Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
edited 2008-02-27 00:52 in Propeller 1
Back at the end of the December I received an uOLED-96-PROP.· It is a neat little device.· I soon found myself wanting to use it in many of my projects because it is a Propeller and a really nice uOLED.· I found·a dead-end because there were only four Propeller I/Os available on the uOLED-96-PROPR pins.· So I set out to fix this problem.

I created the uOLED-IOC (I/O carrier).· The PCB is about the size of a Basic Stamp but with a little more space for mounting a uOLED-96-PROP to it.· The IOC has a PCA9555 I2C GPIO expansion chip.· Check out the attached pictures and head over to Brilldea (the name of my side business) to get more information.

http://www.brilldea.com

The site is still being worked on, but I wanted to release the uOLED-IOC so we can get feedback about the product.· Let me know what you think about this product.· I have a long list of other products I want to design for the Propeller and other mechanical and electrical materials I want to source from China/Hong Kong so that the hobbyist community can have access to the unique (and often fair priced) items found over here.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Timothy D. Swieter
tdswieter.com
One little spark of imagination is all it takes for an idea to explode
1024 x 768 - 49K
1024 x 768 - 51K
1024 x 768 - 35K

Comments

• deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2008-02-17 14:55
    That looks nice Timothy!
    The 9555 is a nice device its main disadvantage generally has been its availability as "SMD only".
    I should improve the machnical stability a little bit:
    (a) You seem to use a high 8 mm socket; there are low-profile ones (4.5 mm)
    (b) You can add a "dummy support" at the other end.
    (c) The PropPlug is the other week spot; there is s lot of orthogonal force to the pins; I should say they will hardly take 100 connection cycles smile.gif
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-02-17 17:17
    Nice Timothy. I'd echo deSilva's comments. I'll probably use some double sided foam tape
    and some low-profile sockets when I can find them. I have a couple of 4D Systems' USB
    adapters with the 5V output and I'd use that to power the whole thing. It would be nice
    if 4D Systems had a mounting kit like some of the LCD displays. It would make it a whole
    lot easier to have a nice looking enclosed unit.
  • Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2008-02-17 23:07
    Thank you for the feedback Mike and deSilva!

I agree, the socket is a little high, but at the moment it was all I could find. I will keep my eyes open when I head to the electronics market next to find a shorter size socket. The users has the option to not solder the socket in so that the uOLED-96-PROP is soldered directly to the uOLED-IOC. the OLED screen then is resting directly on the IOC. I recommend an insulator or foam tape to be included between the uOLED-PROP and the uOLED-IOC and included this in the datasheet.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter

www.brilldea.com·- check out the uOLED-IOC, an I/O expansion for the uOLED-96-PROP
    www.tdswieter.com
  • TubularTubular Posts: 4,646
    edited 2008-02-18 01:09
    Great stuff Timothy. That 4D module is so useful but the I/O quantity hobbles it. Until now smile.gif

Are you using 2 of the 4 i/o pins for the expander IC? Because the prop's own i2c wires appear to meet its memory chip right near the edge of the pcb, which makes them tempting to solder to and preserve those other precious 4 i/o
    edited 2008-02-18 04:21
    There is a datasheet posted on the website for the uOLED-IOC (http://www.brilldea.com/product_uoledioc.html). In it, I termed a basic mode and an extended mode. In basic mode two of the four pins on the 10 pin uOLED-96-PROP are used for the I2C. In extended mode, the user needs to desolder a couple jumpers, remove a pullup resistor and then solder wires from pads on the IOC to pads on the uOLED-96-PROP memory chip.· If you are good at soldering it shouldn't be a bad mod to the device.· I suspect only die hard hobbyist who must have all the I/O possible will go this route.

In a month or so I will purchase another uOLED-96-PROP and set it up for extended mode and take pictures of the process.

Thank you for the comments Tubular.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter

www.brilldea.com·- check out the uOLED-IOC, an I/O expansion for the uOLED-96-PROP
    www.tdswieter.com
    edited 2008-02-23 14:39
    Hi guys. I got the website back up. It went down shortly after I made the post and I stayed busy all week and was not able to get back to it. I apologize for wasting your time for any one who clicked over to it.

This weekend I will finish building a tester for the uOLED-IOC and if there is time solder up a few more boards to sell.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter

www.tdswieter.com
  • tshirttshirt Posts: 1
    edited 2008-02-27 00:03
    Can you get the pictures up again on your website?· They are not coming through.· Thanks
    edited 2008-02-27 00:52
    Hi tshirt -

The site has been up and operational for a while. I just checked (from my poor connection in China) and I see the pictures coming up fine in small or large size. I made sure to hit refresh to ensure it wasn't a cached copy of the page. Please try again and drop me a private message if you are having trouble.

Thank you for visiting the web site.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter

www.tdswieter.com