Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Help needed for a newbie for creating a user friendly interface — Parallax Forums

Help needed for a newbie for creating a user friendly interface

YannickYannick Posts: 5
edited 2008-02-18 06:27 in Propeller 1
Hi,

Parallax is completely new to me and I have problems to get started.

I want to make a user friendly interface using a keyboard, a mouse and a VGA monitor. The names of·different parameters should be listed on the screen with for each a small box on the right. I would like to be able to access a box with·the mouse and write·a value with the keyboard in the box. A button at the bottom of the screen would save the values when pressed with the mouse.

I started learning with the demo board and I finished the tutorial. I also checked different code samples that uses the mouse and the keyboard on the TV. Can someone help me to get started with the VGA monitor,the keyboard and the mouse at the same time? Or if you have any idea how to make such an interface. Thanks a lot!

Yannick

Comments

• b.p.m.b.p.m. Posts: 59
    edited 2008-02-16 05:40
    hey yannick,
    i'm a total newbie, too. but i think you should check out PropellerLife for ideas on how to implement what you are trying to do. it's only mouse and VGA, but it seems to me it a good place to start if you want to code a basic GUI. it even has it's own small font.

blake

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Can't sleep, clown will eat me."
    Bart Simpson
  • stevenmess2004stevenmess2004 Posts: 1,102
    edited 2008-02-16 05:45
    I have done a basic window manager (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=705864) (see the last post for the latest version) for a TV but it doesn't work with VGA or a keyboard or mouse yet. There is another that has been done for VGA and I'll try and find it in a minute...
  • stevenmess2004stevenmess2004 Posts: 1,102
    edited 2008-02-16 06:02
    I can't find the thread so I hope that Raymond doesn't if I post the code smile.gif
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2008-02-17 00:12
    Yannick,

You will be amazed by how easily you can do what you want to do.

Take the plunge and get Femto Basic. Almost every question you can ask (in the beginning) is answered somewhere in that code. So, not only is it functional, but it is a programming tutorial all by itself... and it's Basic too!!!

I absolutely love the demo board... but you also need the education kit. Just go through the tutorials... it is the shortest path. It is an extremely well thought out introduction to some of the more interesting application areas and covers Spin programming in detail.

I made the mistake of not ordering Andre LaMothe's book for about a year... big mistake, it is comprehensive, very well written (actually fun to read) and you can save yourself a lot of wondering, experimenting and hair pulling by getting this source right at the start. The alternative is to keep a list of all of things you don't know and check them off as you learn them. With this text you can be certain that the answer is in there and is fully explained in as much detail as you want ... from simple constructs to very advanced explanations... an amazing feat for a largely technical book. If you are seriously interested in engineering or game programming then of course you will eventually want a Hydra... but by the time you actually need it, who knows ... maybe Hydra II will be available.

Rich

Post Edited (rjo_) : 2/17/2008 4:13:25 AM GMT
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-02-18 01:05
    Yannick, In my logic analyzer application I have a preferences menu which takes keyboard input and allows navigation between parameters and entry of hexidecimal numbers. It is availible here:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=606048

It works on TV and VGA. There·are some tricks such as looking up pointers to variables so if you have any questions, ask.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • VIRANDVIRAND Posts: 656
    edited 2008-02-18 06:27
    Just a suggestion, if you want a gui interface,
    having a screen for icons (tiles=files) like a PDA which click open full screen apps
    is much simpler than a windows manager.