Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Serial to Parallel output — Parallax Forums

Serial to Parallel output

PhilldapillPhilldapill Posts: 1,283
edited 2008-02-16 04:15 in Propeller 1
I ran a couple searches on the obex for an object that "expands" the outputs of the prop. My thinking is that you can take a serial to Parallel IC and use a couple pins(clock/data) to simulate extra outputs. With an 8bit serial to parallel IC, you can gain an extra 6 ouputs for every 2 pins used on the prop. I'm sure there are a bajillion other applications for this, but I want to use one of these IC's to control a 4-phase stepper motor(needing 8 ouputs) with only the two prop pins.· Basically, the prop sends the s-p IC a data stream to toggle the IC's ouputs high/low, and these outputs are fed into a quad H-bridge that drives the stepper.

I'm sure this has been done, but I haven't turned up much.

Comments

• PhilldapillPhilldapill Posts: 1,283
    edited 2008-02-16 04:10
    LOL I guess I haven't done a good job at looking... there is a post here on the same page. Any new input is welcome, however.
  • stevenmess2004stevenmess2004 Posts: 1,102
    edited 2008-02-16 04:15
    I think that there are some TWI(I2C) port expander chips that some people here have used. Don't know if they would be fast enough for what you want. I believe that what you want is a shift register. The hybrid uses them (I think, may be the propJoy or something else) to make some joysticks compatible with the system the hydra uses.