Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Interacting with OBD1 car systems — Parallax Forums

Interacting with OBD1 car systems

batchfilebatchfile Posts: 7
edited 2008-07-24 00:54 in BASIC Stamp
has anyone tried this? I know it's serial... but thats about all i know.

and does anyone know if these OBD1 systems can provide realtime information while the car is running?

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
    edited 2008-02-16 00:03
    Check out the ELM obdii chips. I used them to make a reader for my car. You need to know which protocol your car uses before you order a chip. I found them very easy to use.

What real time or other data varies from car to car. So the answer is: depends. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.madlabs.info - Home of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Robot
  • batchfilebatchfile Posts: 7
    edited 2008-02-16 00:17
    thanks!... however my car is a 1994 Camaro... I think it's OBD1.
    I know OBD2 has lotta stuff i can play with... but unfortunately i dont have that kind of ECU.

I did see a ALDL OBD1 Cable for around $60 (that i could probly make myself)
    do you know if voltages may affect connected devices since the car runs on a battery or is that part well regulated?

I'd love to plug in all the GM codes for my car into a little program so i dont have to guess.
  • icepuckicepuck Posts: 466
    edited 2008-02-16 03:12
    Some ODI systems couldn't send out a live data stream((just fault codes) because gm was still using the 8 bit 8052 all the way up to 1988. 1989 is when they finally switch over to using 16 bit mcu's which were fast enough to give a limited data stream.
    The problem with OBDII is that some manufactures started using it before it became mandatory in 1996. In the case of gm they used the OBDII connector but still used their own protocol, which means you have to use a gm techII computer in order to access all of the diagnostic information and input/output tests. OBDII was a standardization for a generaric data stream and fault code output.
    One thing that may help is to find any after market performance catalogs, a gm firebird/cormaro performance catalog from your local dealer would be a good start. or any of the following...
    http://www.painlessperformance.com/
    http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/
    http://www.yearone.com/
    Gm 4.3l V6 and 5.7l V8 engines are used in boats and industrial applications such as forklifts and power units, which had their own ecm only wiring harness. hope this helps...
    -dan
  • CounterRotatingPropsCounterRotatingProps Posts: 1,132
    edited 2008-07-24 00:54
    Yo Batchfile!

Are you still around? I guess this is an ancient thread, but I've recently become interested in this when my (ancient, but still functional) Nissan almost went brain dead·freaked.gif·

It's an '89, but still humming along --- well at least now it is since we've figured out the weak pulse to it's #4 fuel injector was due to a bad cable , not the computer. I was surprised to learn that it even had a computer!

I gather from this thread that it might be the ODI version, or, as Icepuck mentions, maybe it's Nissan's own version.

I would love to hack this thing!

Did you have any luck.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Buzz Whirr Click Repeat