Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PRI vs PUB using Frequency Synthesizer object — Parallax Forums

PRI vs PUB using Frequency Synthesizer object

HarleyHarley Posts: 997
edited 2008-02-15 20:51 in Propeller 1
My project uses two Props; Prop#1 generates a 5 MHz signal for Prop#2 X1 input.

Recently I cleaned up my sources and thought it would be better to have all the COGNEWs in PUB rather spread in both PRI and PUB the way it had grown. Made a number of 'small' changes to the source, actually for both Props, and then NOTHING worked.

Finally today I used a ProtoBoard rather than the 2 Prop pcb to scope if the FreqSynth worked on that board. NOPE. So tried it with Fsynth.synth moved after the first PRI. And then it worked. Yet FDS and Display (TV_text) worked OK in PUB.

Is there a rule for where cogs get init'ed? Wasted many man hours tracking why Prop#2 didn't work right. It received a 5 MHz timing from Prop#1 via Fsynth.

Nice to see things working properly again. But don't understand why it had to be this way. Can someone enlighten me?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Harley Shanko

Comments

• stevenmess2004stevenmess2004 Posts: 1,102
    edited 2008-02-13 21:34
    You can do a COGNEW from anywhere in a PUB or PRI block. What is more likely to have happened is that you run out of cogs or you have some data that is not getting set up properly before you start one of the cogs.
  • HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2008-02-13 22:23
    ·Here's the first part of the source; should have provided it initially, but was on the other computer at the time.· The original location of 'Fsynth' is marked with AAA and working position with BBB.
    '*****************************
    '*  Control_2Prop1  v 0.1    *  mod:  5:48 pm 10 Feb.2008
    '*  (C) 2007 h.a.s. designn  *
    ' Prop#1 connects to: a D/K board rx/tx pins, to a second Propeller via another pair
    ' of pins; both Props connect to a 'Pod' board; and displays debug info to a TV monitor.
    CON
      _clkmode      = xtal1 + pll16x
      _xinfreq      = 5_000_000
      Prop_Tx       = 27            ' Prop1 data from Prop2
      Prop_Rx       = 26            ' Prop1 data to Prop2
      Prop_Baud     = 115200        ' for Prop1 <=> Prop2 communications
      PIC_Tx        = 4             ' Data from D/K board
      PIC_Rx        = 5             ' Data to D/K board
      PIC_Baud      = 35714         ' D/K PIC16F871 with a 4 MHz xtal yields 35714 baud
      maskF0        = $000000F0     ' mask for upper nyble of a ls byte  
    'TV parameters                 ' (not enough pins left for VGA which uses 8 pins)
      #0, white, inverse, highlight, blue, magenta, green, orange, red ' text palette colors
    VAR
      long status, stack[noparse][[/noparse]50], rxpin,  txpin, c, rxbyte, rxcheck, txbyte,frame[noparse][[/noparse]406]
      long addrReg, dataReg, statReg, keyReg, dirReg, id, LpTimer, SBPtReg, regReg
      long StatAsm, tempStat, tempLow, tempHigh, tempDat, CmdStatus, LEDreg, Prop2Reg
      word DisplayReg
      byte Lptest, key, CmdP2, INTRflg

OBJ
      PICSer        : "FullDuplexSerial"                    ' D/K comm 
      PropSer       : "FullDuplexSerial"                    ' Prop2 comm
      Display       : "TV_text"                             ' debug w/monitor
      Fsynth        : "Synth"                               ' for 5 MHz 'clock' for Prop#2
    '  vp            : "ViewportConduit_20"                 ' transfers data to/from PC - ver 2.0
    '  vp            : "ViewportConduit_12"                  ' transfers data to/from PC
    '  qs1           : "QuickSample_12"                      ' measures INA and variables, 1 cog
    '  dbg           : "PASDebug"                            '<---- Add for PASD Debugger 
    '*************************************************************************************
    '* Prop#1: - handles D/K, Prop#2, and p/o Pod i/f's, Command decoder, and 5 MHz synth clock
    '*************************************************************************************
    PUB Main
      PropSer.start(Prop_Rx, Prop_Tx, %0000, Prop_Baud)     '  " Cog 1
      PICSer.start(PIC_Rx, PIC_Tx, %0000, PIC_Baud)         ' s/b Cog 2
      Display.start(12)                                     '  " Cog 3
    '  Fsynth.synth("A", 24, 5_000_000)                      ' output 5MHz for Prop2; Cog 0             [b]AAA[/b] 
    '  id := cognew(@DTbus,@StatAsm)       ' this sets up the DTbus registers for the assembly cog 
    '  id := cognew(@entry,@StatAsm)       ' start cog for DTbus read/writes; Cog 4   PASD
      id := cognew(Control1,@stack)        ' " Cog 5
    '  id := dbg.start(31,30,@entry)       ' " Cog 6; for PASD debugger'
    PRI Control1
      Fsynth.synth("A", 24, 5_000_000)                      ' output 5MHz for Prop2; Cog 0   [b]BBB[/b]
      InitP1

Can anyone explain why it shouldn't have worked at line marked AAA?yeah.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    edited 2008-02-13 22:38
    What is happening is that you are starting Control1 in another cog so Fsynth.... is running in a separate cog. What is probably happening with AAA is that Fsynth goes into a loop and does not return. Therefore all the code after line AAA does not get called and the other cogs don't get started. Also, what is the InitP1 in Control1 for?
    edited 2008-02-14 00:19
    stevenmess2004,

That 'InitP1' is just a Call to a separate PRI for initialization of on-screen headings of Prop#1 and Prop#2 areas for the TV monitor debug screen.

This included communications to read and display version#, date and #cogs used by Prop#2. Each use about 1/2 of the screen. When the Fsynth wasn't working, Prop#2 wouldn't run therefore I had to temporariy comment out that communications source lines, so I could continue after hitting a brick wall on what wasn't working right. Had made too many changes at once and couldn't determine where all the problems were.

InitP1 begins with
    Dispaysetcolors(@tv_palette)
    Might that, setting the foreground/background colors table, have upset Fsynth?

Maybe it has more to do with being invoked after the
    id := cognew(Control1,@stack) ' " Cog 5
    line?

I'd like to know about this strange effect. I was dumbfounded when I moved the Fsynth init a few lines later and it worked; need to know the 'logic' behind this.

Thanks, anyone for clarification on this.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    edited 2008-02-14 00:27
    If you just want to output a 5 MHz pulse why don't you just use the counter? There should be enough data in the Fsynth object and the data sheet to do it. All you will need to do is to setup 2 counter registers.
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2008-02-14 00:46
    All is possible, there is way too little data you gave.
    I was not able to locate somthing as "Synth", neither in the OBEX nor from this forum. May be Steven is right...

More likely you are shutting pin 24 dowm in your main COG after FSYNTH had been called. This will not disturb the COG5 you run CONTROL in, so it continues transmitting its signal...
    edited 2008-02-14 01:16
    @ stevenmess2004

The purpose of the 5 MHz signal is for 'clock' for Prop#2. I suppose I could generate it another way with less code, but probably still would need its own cog, no? Prop#1 uses a 5 MHz crystal, but over 3 inches from Prop#2 X1 pin. Are you implying the counter wouldn't have to be in another cog; that would be cool. Should be a square wave though.

@ deSilva
    I've had 'Synth' for about 9 months. Don't recall if it came with the IDE originally, or ran across it elsewhere. But works well.

I'm constantly amazed how much Chip 'n crew incorporated in the Propeller. Looks like I need to reread that counter AN001 again (and again and again). yeah.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    edited 2008-02-14 01:21
    All you need is the excellent main architectural diagram and the list of modes - the rest are just examples....
    edited 2008-02-14 01:22
    Harley, just use one of the timers in any of the cogs you are using. If you aren't using the timers for anything else in your main cog then just use the ones in the main cog.
    edited 2008-02-14 02:01
    Thanks, for the interesting info.

Yes, I'd actually 'forgotten' about doing it that way. No timers used yet on this project (except for what Fsynth uses).

So much to learn, not enough time usually. LIFE!

Thank you deSilva and stevenmess2004.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    edited 2008-02-14 02:02
    TV_text uses the timers in one of the cogs but that won't be a problem.
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,560
    edited 2008-02-14 05:10
    Harley,
    ·
    Not sure why you are seeing this issue, but I suspect it's exactly what deSilva suggests... "More likely you are shutting pin 24 down in your main COG after FSYNTH had been called."
    ·
    It's difficult to tell without all of your code (i.e. some of the OBJ definitions) to see what is happening.· The Synth.spin object is basically a passive object in that it uses the current COG it is called from and does not launch another COG.· So if another object does something similar and is also passive, it could be clobbering the CTR and FRQ settings.· Try using the Synth.spin object with the "B" counter rather than the "A" counter just to see if it might go away that way.
    ·
    Object exchange Synth.spin reference:
    http://obex.parallax.com/objects/47/

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2008-02-14 07:19
    Beau,

I'll try your suggestion. I'm also going to try using AN001 counter instead of Fsynth obj.

Hadn't looked into the counters except for scanning AN001 months ago. Lots available in just that part of the Propeller. Thanks for the suggestion. yeah.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    edited 2008-02-14 17:24
    Beau,

If I put the Fsynth.synth("A", 24, 5_000_000) before the PRI it doesn't work, whether "A" or "B" is assigned.

But if after the PRI either "A" or "B" works.

To my knowledge I am not altering pin 33/A24 in the program in any manner either.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    edited 2008-02-14 19:26
    Harley, do you have any idea whatsoever what the difference is - using your wording - "putting in before or after the PRI"?

When you clear DIRA[noparse][[/noparse]24] "A" or "B" won't make any difference...

Before you post the complete code there is no chance to help you further. There just is a "bug" in your program.. somewhere
    edited 2008-02-14 19:41
    OK, here's the source.·
    '*  Control_2Prop1  v 0.1    *  mod:  9:15 am 14 Feb.2008
    '*  (C) 2007 h.a.s. designn  *
    ' Prop#1 connects to: a D/K board rx/tx pins, to a second Propeller via another pair
    ' of pins; both Props connect to a 'Pod' board; and displays debug info to a TV monitor.
    CON
      _clkmode      = xtal1 + pll16x
      _xinfreq      = 5_000_000
      Prop_Tx       = 27            ' Prop1 data from Prop2
      Prop_Rx       = 26            ' Prop1 data to Prop2
      Prop_Baud     = 115200        ' for Prop1 <=> Prop2 communications
      PIC_Tx        = 4             ' Data from D/K board
      PIC_Rx        = 5             ' Data to D/K board
      PIC_Baud      = 35714         ' D/K PIC16F871 with a 4 MHz xtal yields 35714 baud
      maskF0        = $000000F0     ' mask for upper nyble of a ls byte  
    'TV parameters                 ' (not enough pins left for VGA which uses 8 pins)
      #0, white, inverse, highlight, blue, magenta, green, orange, red ' text palette colors
    VAR
      long status, stack[noparse][[/noparse]50], rxpin,  txpin, c, rxbyte, rxcheck, txbyte,frame[noparse][[/noparse]406]
      long addrReg, dataReg, statReg, keyReg, dirReg, id, LpTimer, SBPtReg, regReg
      long StatAsm, tempStat, tempLow, tempHigh, tempDat, CmdStatus, LEDreg, Prop2Reg
      word DisplayReg
      byte Lptest, key, CmdP2, INTRflg

OBJ
      PICSer        : "FullDuplexSerial"                    ' D/K comm 
      PropSer       : "FullDuplexSerial"                    ' Prop2 comm
      Display       : "TV_text"                             ' debug w/monitor
      Fsynth        : "Synth"                               ' for 5 MHz 'clock' for Prop#2
    '  vp            : "ViewportConduit_20"                 ' transfers data to/from PC - ver 2.0
    '  vp            : "ViewportConduit_12"                  ' transfers data to/from PC
    '  qs1           : "QuickSample_12"                      ' measures INA and variables, 1 cog
    '  dbg           : "PASDebug"                            '<---- Add for PASD Debugger 
    '* Prop#1: - handles D/K, Prop#2, and p/o Pod i/f's, Command decoder, and 5 MHz synth clock
    PUB Main
      PropSer.start(Prop_Rx, Prop_Tx, %0000, Prop_Baud)     '  " Cog 1
      PICSer.start(PIC_Rx, PIC_Tx, %0000, PIC_Baud)         ' s/b Cog 2
      Display.start(12)                                     '  " Cog 3
    '  Fsynth.synth("A", 24, 5_000_000)                      ' output 5MHz for Prop2; Cog 0
    '  Fsynth.synth("B", 24, 5_000_000)                      ' output 5MHz for Prop2; Cog 0
    '  id := cognew(@DTbus,@StatAsm)       ' this sets up the DTbus registers for the assembly cog 
    '  id := cognew(@entry,@StatAsm)       ' start cog for DTbus read/writes; Cog 4   PASD
      id := cognew(Control1,@stack)        ' " Cog 5
    '  id := dbg.start(31,30,@entry)       ' " Cog 6; for PASD debugger'
    '  Fsynth.synth("B", 24, 5_000_000)                      ' output 5MHz for Prop2; Cog 0
    PRI Control1
      Fsynth.synth("B", 24, 5_000_000)                      ' output 5MHz for Prop2; Cog 0
      InitP1
    '  vp.start(31,30,@rxpin,String("Control_2Prop1:50 ns/div:LSA:rxpin+,txpin+,c+,rxbyte+,rxcheck+,txbyte+,frame*+@0.7.0"))        ' s/b Cog 6
    ' Main Loop    *********** deals with inputs from D/K, Prop#2 or Pod ***********
      repeat
        DKif
        P2if
    '    qs1.sampleINA(@frame)       ' THIS, and next 2 lines, used with ViewPort
    '    rxpin++
    '    txpin+=2
    '    DIRA[noparse][[/noparse]8]~~                   ' temp. 'pulser' (neg. ~8 microsec every ~80 microsec)
    '    OUTA[noparse][[/noparse]8]~                    ' pulse Lo for ~ 8 microsec
    '    OUTA[noparse][[/noparse]8]~~                   ' return to Hi level for ~ 80 microsec period
        if LpTimer == 0             ' test if times out; if so, reload value
          LpTimer := $2000          ' (maybe, 1 - 5 sec or min between Looptests) ???
          Lptest++                  ' increment each timeout
          if Lptest =< $70          ' ensure 'Lptest=' = 80h...FFh
            Lptest := $70
          PICSer.tx(Lptest)         ' send Lptest value to D/K              
        LpTimer--                   ' decrement timer each main loop pass
    '    gotoxy(20,11)                                 ' THESE 3 lines for LoopTest: KEEP !!
    '    Display.str(string("  LpTmr."))
    '    Display.hex(LpTimer,4)
    '    PropSer.tx($84)
    PRI InitP1                      ' Initialize Prop#1 display and comm
      Display.setcolors(@tv_palette)                       
      color(blue)                   ' color for Prop1 register heading
      gotoxy(2,0)
      Display.str(@titleP1)
      gotoxy(13,0)                  ' 11 positions + offset of 2 = 13
      display.dec(CHIPVER)
      gotoxy(27,0)                  ' location for Prop#1 cog usage
      Display.str(@Cogs1)
      Display.dec(id + 1)
    '*** now read Prop#2 version and source file date
      color(red)                    ' color for Prop2 register heading
      gotoxy(2,7)
      repeat                        ' query Prop2's attention
        PropSer.tx($80)
        waitcnt(800000 + cnt)       ' wait a moment for Prop#2
        if (c := PropSer.rxcheck) <> -1
      until c == $80                ' got back Prop#2 'echoed' $80 byte
    '  GetProp2info   
      repeat while c <> $0D         ' loop until Carriage Return seen
        if c <> $0D
          c := PropSer.rx  
          Display.out(c)            ' show received characters of string from Prop#2
      gotoxy(37,7)                  ' location for Prop#2 cog usage
      repeat                        ' query Prop2's attention
        waitcnt(800000 + cnt)       ' wait a moment for Prop#2 response
      until (c := PropSer.rxcheck) <> -1     ' wait until response
      Display.dec(c)                ' show Prop#2 cog usage
    '*** done with Prop#2 'heading'
      color(white)                  ' white text for register name and values
      dirReg := 1                   ' used to control addr/data for MEM(2), REG(3), others(1)
      DisplayRegs
      gotoxy(0,11)                  ' DISPLAYS VALUE SENT TO PROP2 'CntlFF' VARIABLE       
    '  Display.str(string("  CmdP2."))
    '  Display.hex(CmdP2,2)
    '  PropSer.tx(CmdP2)
    '  c := $11
    '  DKif
      RegistersUpdate
    '  CommandDecoder
    PRI DKif                        ' check for D/K transmissions (includes Loop test echos)
      if (c := PICSer.rxcheck) <> -1                      ' process a byte from D/K
        key := c
        gotoxy(0,12)
        Display.hex(c,2)
        if key < $20                ' 00h..1Ch valid hex and command codes
          KeyDecode                 ' separate command from hex codes
          RegistersUpdate           ' update first, before sending to D/K
          if key <> $13             ' for codes not $13 (Test key)  TEMP ???
            UpdateDK_LED            ' output addr and data to D/K board
        if c => $70                 ' cides $70 to $FF are for D/K looptest
          gotoxy(24,12)             ' part of Looptest - displays PASS/FAIL
          if c == Lptest
            Display.str(string("Pass "))     ' show 'Pass' and Lptest value
            Display.hex(Lptest,2)
            Display.str(string("     "))     ' clears 'Fail' text
          else
            Display.str(string("     "))     ' clears "Pass' text
            Display.hex(Lptest,2)
            Display.str(string(" FAIL"))     ' show 'Fail' text
    PRI P2if                        ' check for Prop#2 transmissions
      if (c := PropSer.rxcheck) <> -1        ' process byte from the 2nd Propeller
          case c
            $90 :
              gotoxy(0,10)
              Display.str(string("RUN # "))
              Display.hex(c,2)                                                        
            $84 :
                Prop2Reg := c       ' 3-bit value indicating LOPEN, IOENA, PMENA states          
    ' The LEDreg uses the following bits to update the D/K LEDs
    '                      nybl bits - 7/3 6/2 5/1 4/0
    '                 +---+---+---+---+-^-+-^-+-^-+-^-+
    '          LEDreg | f |u/l| hi/lo | n   y   b   l |
    '                 +---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
    '    0 = LED info   /   |    0 0 = Data nybl.....(00..0F, 40..4F)
    '    1 = other use      |    0 1 = Addr lo nybl..(10..1F, 50..5F)
    '          0 = low nybl /    1 0 =  "   hi hybl..(20..2F, 60..6F)
    '          1 = hi nybl       1 1 = misc. use.....(30..3F, 70..7F)
    PRI UpdateDK_LED                ' only called from 'DKif' routine
      if keyReg < $80
        LEDreg := 0 | ((dataReg) & $F)                      ' Data LO nybl
        PICSer.tx(LEDreg)
        LEDreg := $00000040 | ((dataReg >> 4) & $F)         ' Data HI nybl)
        PICSer.tx(LEDreg)
        LEDreg := $00000010 | ((addrReg >> 0) & $F)         ' Addr LO nybl
        PICSer.tx(LEDreg)    
        LEDreg := $00000050 | ((addrReg >> 4) & $F)         ' Addr 2nd ls nybl
        PICSer.tx(LEDreg)  
        LEDreg := $00000020 | ((addrReg >> 8) & $F)         ' Addr 2nd ms nybl
        PICSer.tx(LEDreg)  
        LEDreg := $00000060 | ((addrReg >> 12) & $F)        ' Addr ms nybl
        PICSer.tx(LEDreg)  
    ' The following values are used for the following purposes:
    '    0000_bbbb = hex values for Address, Data and Register settings
    '    0001_bbbb = Command codes for Emulator control
    '    0010_0000 \ 
    '      thru     > = not output by D/K
    '    0111_1111 /     (BUT, looptest would affect D/K LEDs w/these values)
    '    1000_0000 \
    '      thru     > = Looptest values and pass/fail codes
    '    1111_1111 /
    PRI KeyDecode
      if key < $10                  ' ck if 'hex' key value
        if dirReg == $1             ' decode 3-cases; Addr=1, Data=2 (MEM), Reg=3 (REG)
          addrReg := (addrReg <<= 4) | key      ' shift left 4 bits, OR in new value
        elseif (dirReg & ($1 << 1)) == $2       ' WRite key pressed                                  
          dataReg := (dataReg <<= 4) | key      ' shift left 4 bits, OR in new value
        elseif (dirReg & ($1 <<2)) == $4        ' REG key pressed
          ifnot key == $0C
            regReg := key
            addrReg := (regReg & maskF0) | key  ' just LO nybl replaced
          else                                  ' 'C'key toggles ALT flag for REG use
            if addrReg & ($1 << 4)              ' test if ALT bit set
              addrReg := (addrReg & $0F)        ' if so, clear it
            else
              addrReg := addrReg | ($1 << 4)    ' if not, set it
      elseif key <$1C                           ' ck if 'command' key value
        statReg := key              ' transfer for debug display
        CommandDecoder              ' decode the 12 commands
    ' The 'CmdStatus' bit assignments by the CommandDecoder
    '               +---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
    '    CmdStatus   10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 | 0 |
    '               +---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
    '                RUN TST ALT^SBP STP DEC INC HALT RD REG MEM^
    ' (bits 7..0 go direct to 'tri-state' onto DTbus)
    PRI CommandDecoder | k              ' Command key 'c' = code from D/K
      CmdP2 := (CmdP2 | $C0)
      k := 0
      case c
        $10 :  ' RUN operation
          k := 1
          CmdP2 :=(CmdP2 | $1 | ($1 << 2)| ($1 << 4))       ' = $C4        
          PropSer.tx(CmdP2)
          CmdStatus := (CmdStatus | ($1 << 10))             ' set bit 10                   
          PropSer.tx($90)           ' $90 code causes Prop#2 to return an incremented count
          Prop2Reg := $3            ' value for LOPEN low, other two high
        $11 :  ' CLeaR all registers, except dirReg->1
          addrReg := 0
          dataReg := 0              ' need to send RUN, STP, HLT info to Prop#2
          statReg := 0
          dirReg := 1               ' dirReg 1 = enter data hex into address reg
          CmdStatus := 0            ' clear all CmdStatus bits
          CmdP2 := $C0                                      ' = $C0              
          Prop2Reg := $5            ' value for IOENA low, other two high 
          PICSer.tx($33)            ' for HLT/STP DP
        $12 :  ' HaLT
          CmdP2 :=(CmdP2 | $1  | ($1 << 4))                 ' = $D1                 
          PropSer.tx(CmdP2)
          CmdStatus := (CmdStatus | ($1 << 3))              ' set bit 3                  ' 
          Prop2Reg := $6            ' value for PMENA low, other two high 
        $13 :  ' TeST
          CmdStatus := (CmdStatus | ($1 << 8))              ' set bit 8
          k := Lptest // 16                               ' TEMP for looptesting
          PICSer.tx($30 | k)
          k++
        $14 :  ' SetBreakPoint       
          CmdStatus := (CmdStatus | ($1 << 7))              ' set bit 7                  ' 
          SBPtreg := addrReg                                ' IS THIS Correct ???
          PropSer.tx($83)              ' outputs Address reg to Prop#2 for breakpoint
          c := ((SBPtreg >> 8) & $FF)
          waitcnt(8000000 + cnt)       ' wait about 10 ms (or time := cnt, waitcnt(time + ms10)
          PropSer.tx(c)
          c := SBPtreg & $FF
          waitcnt(8000000 + cnt)       ' wait about 10 ms (or time := cnt, waitcnt(time + ms10)
          PropSer.tx(c)
    'this for DEBUGGING only      
          gotoxy(0,12)
          Display.str(string("BP2..."))
          repeat
            c := PropSer.rxcheck
          while c == -1
          Display.hex(c,2)                                  ' FOR SOME REASON, DOESN'T WORK RIGHT
          repeat
          while c == -1
          Display.hex(c,2)
          Display.str(string("_"))
          repeat
          while c == -1
          Display.hex(c,2)
          repeat
          while c == -1
          Display.hex(c,2)
          PICSer.tx($32)            ' for SBP DP
        $15 :  ' STeP
          CmdP2 := (CmdP2 | $1  | ($1 << 4) | ($1 << 1) | ($1 << 3))    ' = $DB   
          PropSer.tx(CmdP2)
          CmdStatus := (CmdStatus | ($1 << 6))              ' set bit 6                  '  
        $16 :  ' MEMory                                     ' = $C1 
          dirReg := 1
          CmdStatus := (CmdStatus | $1)                 ' set bit 0 for $C1
          PICSer.tx($34)            ' for MEM DP
        $17 :  ' REGister                                   
          dirReg := 4
          CmdStatus := (CmdStatus | ($1 << 1))              ' set bit 1 for $C2                  ' 
          PICSer.tx($35)            ' for REG DP
        $18 :  ' ReaD
          dirReg := dirReg & !($1 << 1) 
          CmdStatus := (CmdStatus | ($1 << 2))              ' set bit 2 for RD                  ' 
          PICSer.tx($3B)            ' for 'r' segments
        $19 :  ' WRite
          dirReg := dirReg | ($1 << 1)                      
          CmdStatus := (CmdStatus & !($1 << 2))             ' clear bit 2 if WR             '      
        $1A :  ' INCrement Address
         addrReg += 1
          CmdStatus := (CmdStatus | ($1 << 4))              ' set bit 4                  ' 
          PICSer.tx($36)            ' for INC/DEC DP
        $1B :  ' DECrement Address
          addrReg -= 1
          CmdStatus := (CmdStatus | ($1 << 5))              ' set bit 5                  ' 
          PICSer.tx($36)            ' for INC/DEC DP
      StatAsm := CmdStatus                                ' get full Status,and position
      if c <> $11
        tempStat := (StatAsm & $FF) << 16                   'status' byte at DTbus    
        tempLow := (addrReg & $FF) << 16                    ' position Addr LO byte
        tempHigh := ((addrReg >> 8) & $FF) << 16            ' position Addr HI byte
        tempDat := (dataReg & $FF) << 16                    ' position Data byte
      if k == 1
        PropSer.tx($91)             ' send code for Prop#2 to pulse INTR line low/high
      gotoxy(0,11)                  ' DISPLAYS VALUE SENT TO PROP2 'CntlFF' VARIABLE       
      Display.str(string("  CmdP2."))
      Display.hex(CmdP2,2)
      PropSer.tx(CmdP2)             ' to Prop#2 to set/reset CntlFF, Control 'pg 2' stuff
    PRI DisplayRegs 
      gotoxy(0,1)       
      Display.str(string("Address."))
      gotoxy(15,1)       
      Display.str(string("Data."))
      gotoxy(24,1)       
      Display.str(string("Status."))
      gotoxy(0,2)       
      Display.str(string(" D/K tx."))
      gotoxy(15,2)       
      Display.str(string(" Reg."))
      gotoxy(24,2)       
      Display.str(string("   Dir."))
    '  gotoxy(0,3)       
    '  Display.str(string("Lptest.."))                      'KEEP FOR LOOP TESTING !!!
      gotoxy(13,3)       
      Display.str(string("LEDreg."))
      gotoxy(24,3)       
      Display.str(string("CmdStatus."))
      gotoxy(0,8)       
      Display.str(string("BrkPt."))
      gotoxy(16,8)       
      Display.str(string("/LOPEN,IOENA,PMENA."))
      gotoxy(14,10)       
      Display.str(@grafix)
    PRI RegistersUpdate
      gotoxy(8,1)       
      Display.hex(addrReg,4)
      gotoxy(20,1)       
      Display.hex(dataReg,2)
      gotoxy(31,1)       
      Display.hex(statReg,2)
      gotoxy(8,2)       
      Display.hex(key,2)
      gotoxy(20,2)       
      Display.hex(regReg,2)
      gotoxy(31,2)       
      Display.hex(dirReg,2)
    '  gotoxy(8,3)       
    '  Display.hex(Lptest,2)                      'KEEP FOR LOOP TESTING !!!  
      gotoxy(20,3)       
      Display.hex(LEDreg,2)
      gotoxy(34,3)       
      Display.hex(CmdStatus,4)
      gotoxy(6,8)       
      Display.hex(SBPtreg,4)
      gotoxy(35,8)       
      Display.bin(Prop2Reg,3)       ' THIS REG MAY CHANGE NAMES !!!
      gotoxy(0,5)       
      Display.str(string("Status."))
      Display.hex((tempStat >>16),2)
      Display.str(string(", LoAdd."))
      Display.hex((tempLow >>16),2)
      Display.str(string(", HiAdd."))
      Display.hex((tempHigh >>16),2)
      Display.str(string(", Data."))
      Display.hex((tempDat >>16),2)
    PRI gotoxy(x,y)                 ' used to set TV_text screen location x,y
      Display.out($0A)
      Display.out(x)
      Display.out($0B)
      Display.out(y)
    PRI color(x)                    ' used to set TV_text fore-/back-ground color
      Display.out($0C)
      Display.out(x)
    DAT
    '****************************************
    '* DT bus controller
    '****************************************
    '         -+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+            THIS DOESN"T APPEAR TO BE USED YET
    ' Port pin | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 | 0 |
    '         -+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+   Decode
    '       BRDn /   |           |   0   0   0 = LO Address
    '       BIORQn --/   WRDATn -/   0   0   1 = HI Address
    '                                0   1   0 = Status
    '                                0   1   1 = Data
    '          +---+---+           +---+---+---+
    '  STmask  |   |   |           |   |   |   | 
    '       ---+   +   +---+---+---+   +   +   +---
    '
                  org       0      ' for PASD entry
    entry
    '  --------- Debugger Kernel add this at Entry (Addr 0) ---------
       long $34FC1202,$6CE81201,$83C120B,$8BC0E0A,$E87C0E03,$8BC0E0A
      long $EC7C0E05,$A0BC1207,$5C7C0003,$5C7C0003,$7FFC,$7FF8
    '  --------------------------------------------------------------
    '              org       0       ' for VP entry
    DTbus         andn      DIRA,DTbusMask          ' make DTbus tri-state (input state)
    DTbusRW       mov       ptr,PAR                 ' get address of variable 'temp'
                  rdlong    temp,ptr  wz            ' get value passed from Spin (='StatAsm')
            if_z  jmp       #DTbusRW                '   otherwise wait in loop
    ' Get/test Status byte
                  add       ptr,#4                  ' incr to 'tempSt' position                  
                  rdlong    tempSt,ptr              ' get Status byte passed from Spin
                  xor       tempSt,OUTA             ' combine status and Output state
                  xor       OUTA,tempSt             '   and set proper Status output levels
    '              waitpeq   STstate,STmask          ' wait for Status reg request
                  or        DIRA,DTbusMask          ' make DTbus pins output  
                  waitpne   STstate,STmask          ' wait until request terminates
                  andn      DIRA,DTbusMask          ' make DTbus tri-state (input state)
                  shr       temp,#1  wc,nr          ' ck if MEM command
            if_nc jmp       #tryREG                 '  wasn't   ' MAYBE AFTER 'tempLo' ???
    ' do MEM tasks - first LO byte tranfer, then HI byte
                  add       ptr,#4                  ' incr to 'tempLo' position 
                  rdlong    tempLo,ptr              ' get LO addr byte passed from Spin
                  xor       tempLo,OUTA             '  combine with Output state
                  xor       OUTA,tempLo             '   to set proper output levels
    '              waitpeq   LOstate,STmask          ' wait for LO addr request
                  waitpne   LOstate,STmask          ' wait until request ends
                  andn      DIRA,DTbusMask          ' make bus tri-state

add       ptr,#4                  'incr to 'tempHi' position  
                  rdlong    tempHi,ptr              ' get HI addr byte passed from Spin
                  xor       tempHi,OUTA             ' combine with Output state
                  xor       OUTA,tempHi             '   to set proper output levels
    '              waitpeq   HIstate,STmask          ' wait for HI addr request
                  waitpne   HIstate,STmask          ' wait until request ends
                  and       temp,#4  wz,nr          ' check if is ReaD command   ??? RD/WR
           if_nz  jmp       #RDdata                 '  was WRITE
    ' WRdata              
                  add       ptr,#4                  ' incr to 'tempLo' position  
                  rdlong    templO,ptr              ' get Data byte passed from Spin
                  xor       templO,OUTA             ' combine with Output state
                  xor       OUTA,templO             '   to set proper output levels
    '              waitpeq   DAstate,STmask          ' wait for Data request
                  waitpne   DAstate,STmask          ' wait until request ends
                  jmp       #DTbusRW                ' MAYBE NOT USE,, IF READBACK TO D/K ???
    RDdata
                  add       ptr,#4                  ' incr to 'tempDa' position
                  rdlong    tempDa,ptr              '
    '              waitpeq   DAstate,WRmask           ' wait for data write request to Prop
                  mov       tempDa,INA              ' get value from DTbus to reg
                  and       tempDA,DTbusMask        '  only preserve data byte
                  waitpne   DAstate,WRmask           ' wait until request ends
                  add       ptr,#4                  ' set ptr to Data address
                  wrlong    tempDa,ptr              ' put Data byte there for Spin
                  jmp       #DTbusRW
    tryREG        and       temp,#2  wz,nr          ' ck if REG command
            if_z  jmp       #tryHLT                 ' 
    ' do REG stuff
                  and       temp,#4  wz,nr          ' check if is WRite command   ??? RD/WR
           if_nz  jmp       #RDreg                  '
    ' WRreg              
                  rdlong    tempDa,ptr              ' get Data byte to pass to Spin
                  xor       tempDa,OUTA             ' combine with Output state
                  xor       OUTA,tempDa             '   to set proper output levels
    '              waitpeq   STstate,STmask          ' wait until request enda
                  waitpne   STstate,STmask          ' wait until request enda
                  jmp       #DTbusRW                '
    RDreg
                  rdlong    tempDa,ptr              '
    '              waitpeq   DAstate,WRmask           ' wait for data write request to Prop
                  mov       tempDa,INA              ' get value from DTbus
                  and       tempDA,DTbusMask        '  only preserve data byte's 8-bits
                  waitpne   DAstate,WRmask           ' wait until request ends
                  add       ptr,#4                  ' set ptr to Data address
                  wrlong    tempDa,ptr              ' store Data byte for Spin
                  jmp       #DTbusRW               
    tryHLT
                  and       temp,#$F8  wz,nr         ' ck if is HLT, INC, DEC, STP or SBP
           if_nz  jmp       #RDreg                '   was one of above
    doTST                           ' MAY NEED TO TRANSFER A DATA BYTE FOR POD LOOPTESTING
                  jmp       #RDreg
    '
    ' Initialized data 
    'byteMask      LONG      $0000_00FF
    DTbusMask     LONG      $00FF_0000
    WRmask        LONG      $0000_0008  ' A4 active LO
    'WrDTbusMsk    LONG      $0000_0008  ' A4 active LO
    STmask        LONG      $0000_00C7  '
    LOstate       LONG      0           ' A0..A2 low  ' WHERE'S CODE FOR THESE FOUR??? 
    HIstate       LONG      1           ' A0 HI, A1 LO
    STstate       LONG      2           ' A0 LO, A1 HI + A6 and A7 LO (BIORQn, BRDn)
    DAstate       LONG      3           ' A0, A1 HI
    ' Uninitialized data
    ptr           RES       1       ' holds pointer IN PAr
    temp          RES       1       ' get Status in low-byte position
    tempSt        RES       1       ' Status in 2nd-ms byte position
    tempLo        RES       1       ' Lo addr    "      "      "
    tempHi        RES       1       ' Hi addr    "      "      "
    tempDa        RES       1       ' Data       "      "      "
                  FIT       496
    DAT     ' moved here for PASD operations; else point to wrong variable on debug
    '             org 0
    titleP1       byte      "Prop#1 ver. ; 14 Feb.2008",0
    Cogs1         byte      "; #cogs = ",0
    '                    foregnd  backgnd
    tv_palette    byte      $07,   $02    '0    white / black       (white) 
                  byte      $02,   $07    '1    black / white       (inverse)
                  byte      $07,   $04    '2      red / pink        (highlight)
                  byte      $0C,   $02    '3     blue / black       (blue)
                  byte      $5D,   $02    '4    green / black       (green)
                  byte      $ED,   $02    '5  magenta / black       (magenta)
                  byte      $BD,   $02    '6   orange / black       (orange)
                  byte      $CC,   $02    '7      red / black       (red)
    grafix        byte      "&#61572;&#61583;&#61579;&#61568;&#61568;&#61579;&#61580;&#61581;&#61569; tsp Z80 Emulator",0
    '            'DTbus' info exchange/direction table
    '          |<--------- D/K to POD -------->|<-- POD to D/K
    '           STATUS  LO ADDR  HI ADDR  DATA    DATA
    ' +--------+-------+--------+--------+-----+--------------+
    '  MEM (RD)   Y        Y        Y               Y
    '  MEM (WR)   Y        Y        Y       Y       Y 
    '  REG (RD)   Y      (reg)                      Y 
    '  REG (WR)   Y      (reg)              Y       Y 
    '  HLT        Y                                 Y
    '  INC        Y                                 Y ???
    '  DEC        Y                                 Y ???
    '  STP        Y                                 Y ???
    '  SBP        Y                                 Y ???
    '  TST        Y                                 Y
    '            (02)    (00)      (01)    (03)            where (0n) = I/O code from Pod
    ' Prop1 items to be developed         Description                              Status
    ' 1. Serial i/f w/ D/K          for D/K <=> Prop#1 comm                         done
    ' 2. Serial i/f w/ Prop2        for Prop1 <=> Prop2 comm                        done
    ' 3. 5 MHz output               for Prop2 clock                                 done
    ' 4. Tv-text i/f                for visual debugging                            done
    ' 5. PropPlug i/f               for programming Prop1                           done
    ' 6. EEPROM i/f                 to store programs                               done
    ' 7. /RST                       to reset hdwr/Props                             done
    ' 8. DTbus                      i/f to Pod tri-state bus                      in process
    ' 9. /INTR                      tbd                                             tbd
    '10.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    edited 2008-02-14 20:37
    I'm trying to work with AN001 and eliminate the Fsynth object, I figured I could just set up CTRB, FRQB and direction using

'            CtrMode  PLLDiv              Apin
    CTRB := %00010_011 << 23 + %011000  ' set CTRMODE = PLL single-ended, PLLDIV = div by 16 and APIN = 24
    FRQB := $8000_0000    
    DIRA[noparse][[/noparse]24]~~   ' set pin 33/A24 to Output
    '

but it doesn't seem to work as I understand AN001. I'm using the DIP40 Props.

Am I interpreting things incorrectly?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    edited 2008-02-14 22:00
    re 2. posting:
    You are trying to output 40 MHz..... And feeding the PLL with this smile.gif
    I think your major misunderstanding comes from "PLL/16". When using the PLL you multiply with 16 in the first place. A divison happens AFTERWARDA. So PLL/16 gives no change in frequency (but a better pulse shape). The PLL works best around 8 MHz yielding 128 MHz which you can divide as you wish.... Though there is no special need to use the PLL in the first place for your application...
    edited 2008-02-14 22:06
    re 1. posting.
    Sorry, it escaped my attention yesterday: Your main program TERMINATES just after calling FSYNTH.
    edited 2008-02-14 23:37
    deSilva,

Re: post 1:

You say main program terminates, must imply that FSynth is all SPIN, but the others, PICSer, PropSer and Display are separate assembly cogs for them to continue running properly?

Re: oost 2:

OK, now I guess I should have used NCO mode; skipped it when I saw PWM. But tried it and, after providing the proper value for the 'division' now have nice 5 MHz square wave on the scope. Some nice ringing; scope is only 100 MHz Tektronix 2247A.

I was hoping to get into the 'counters' some day; didn't think I'd need them yet. So, now have just this 3 SPIN vs Fsynth of about 25 SPIN lines:
      CTRB := %00010_011 << 23 + %011000  ' set CTRMODE = PLL single-ended, PLLDIV = div by 16 and APIN = 24
      FRQB := $1000_0000    
      DIRA[noparse][[/noparse]24]~~   ' set pin 33/A24 to Output

I like this better. Would have been a matter of time as AN001 use was high on the list AFTER this project. Glad it came up now. Thanks for the 'nudge' and help.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    edited 2008-02-15 00:10
    ad 1: It's not a matter of SPIN or Assembly, but of COGs. I should better have said: The main COG terminates, so all attached hardware of this COG (counters, video) (expletive) down as well.

ad2: Glad you made is with the counters. AFter understanding them you have to admit it is SIMPLE smile.gif
    BTW: don't write %011000 - that's confusing! Write 24!
    edited 2008-02-15 00:42
    deSilva said...
    ad 1: It's not a matter of SPIN or Assembly, but of COGs. I should better have said: The main COG terminates, so all attached hardware of this COG (counters, video) (expletive) down as well.

ad2: Glad you made is with the counters. AFter understanding them you have to admit it is SIMPLE
    BTW: don't write %011000 - that's confusing! Write 24!

re: 1 If, as I've used it, with the FDS and TV_text in Main, why does that work if the Main cog has terminated?

re: 2 They mean the same (re '24), but YES, it is much more clear for our 'decimal' brains. Thanks for the clarity. I suppose after teaching such points stand out.

I was able to use a ProtoBoard for verifying the 5 MHz counter; was a good platform for the scope probe, as I had a terminal for ground on it in the VGA connector area (I don't yet have a VGA monitor). Very handy boards; haven't used all 6 but fell for the deal of $100 a six-pack when first released. yeah.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    edited 2008-02-15 20:51
    Harley said...
    re: 1 If, as I've used it, with the FDS and TV_text in Main, why does that work if the Main cog has terminated?

Your routine CONTROL is not running in the main COG but in its own...