Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
I2C Slave? — Parallax Forums

I2C Slave?

SquigSquig Posts: 13
edited 2008-09-26 18:09 in Propeller 1
Has anyone tried to use the Prop as an I2C slave device?
Anyone have an object?

Comments

• deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2008-02-10 19:20
    I am working on that... But no final results this week...
  • crgwbrcrgwbr Posts: 614
    edited 2008-02-11 00:33
    I was just looking into that, I thought it would be useful for the prop to emulate a Boot EEprom for another Prop. I'll let you know if I come up with anything.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    My system: 1.6 GHz AMD Turion64 X2, 4GB DDR2, 256MB ATI Radeon Graphics card, 15.4" Widescreen HD Screen

I have a duel boot of Ubuntu Linux and Windows Vista. Vista, because it came with the PC, Ubuntu because I like software that works.

"Failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with Windows."

Use The Best...
    Linux for Servers
    Mac for Graphics
    Palm for Mobility
    Windows for Solitaire
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,560
    edited 2008-02-11 05:14
    I was exploring a slave I2C option just before Phillips released their I2C license (<-- around October 2006)... but it was never completed.

One thought I had, ... why not implement multiple I2C slave address ability in one I2C Propeller object? You would certainly have the processing power...
    A 'smart' I2C slave device where you could assign your own addresses. There are 'standardized' I2C address ranges that should be observed depending on the I2C function/category if nothing else for good programming practice that should be implemented.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • RsadeikaRsadeika Posts: 3,837
    edited 2008-09-26 13:31
    I just wanted to see if anybody has done anything with this. I checked the object exchange, but did not see anything there. Must be more people than just me that would have an interest in something like this? Maybe a slave SPI also.

Ray
  • Mike CookMike Cook Posts: 829
    edited 2008-09-26 13:35
    I have not tried this yet but this post describes an I2C slave:
    ·
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=617209

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-09-26 18:09
    Been there, done that, still waiting for someone to send a T-shirt smile.gif

propeller.wikispaces.com/I2C+Slave

I never published it on OBEX because I haven't done enough testing to check it is robust enough in terms of connectivity ( its opertion I'm happy with ).

I've tested using the standard Boot Eeprom lines ( internally linked via INA/OUTA ) and to different lines on the same chip, but never tested between two separate Propellers nor anything which is non-Propeller.

It's been a while since I've worked on that project but I'll be pleased to answer any questions if I can.

Added : It seems I have a later version of the code with some enhancements I never released. I'll update the original thread with a latest release ( will be a short while Done ).

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=721563

Post Edited (hippy) : 9/26/2008 7:31:57 PM GMT