Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Update: Released new version! - Jump table in graphics.spin - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

Update: Released new version! - Jump table in graphics.spin

Comments

• stevenmess2004stevenmess2004 Posts: 1,102
    edited 2008-02-13 22:31
    I can save about 13 more longs in the cog by moving some functions out. So we would have slightly more than 25 longs free in the cog.
  • dfletchdfletch Posts: 165
    edited 2008-02-13 22:40
    By the way, thanks deSilva and stevenmess2004 for some of the early comments in this neat thread. In my attempts to make a learning graphics driver, I ended up using the address variable stevenmess2004 mentioned and it works great and only needs 1 long per routine.

Thanks guys!
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2008-02-13 23:39
    Added a "worm".
    Filled boxes now pulsing. This shows the limits of this technique - to avoid flicker the vertical sync is waited for which slows down things considerably! Nevertheless it still flickers with a really large box...
    Two phases now
    - width(0): looks fine except text and some detail of box
    - width(2): does not look so good...

Post Edited (deSilva) : 2/13/2008 11:46:43 PM GMT
    edited 2008-02-13 23:48
    We could make it wait for the vertical sync in cog for some fill commands (I'll just add a new command before the current fill command to make it wait and then you can do either). If we can't get the round pixels working (I don't think that we can) then we can just draw boxes as two triangles (quad) which should be quicker than the 4 fills plus 4 corners.
    edited 2008-02-14 00:23
    We should not forget that the main application is drawing static images, and doing fancy double buffered demonstrations which should not be delayed. Waiting for the sync in the main program is easy.

I shall play a little bit more with the triangles, I think......
    edited 2008-02-14 00:34
    deSilva said...
    We should not forget that the main application is drawing static images, and doing fancy double buffered demonstrations which should not be delayed. Waiting for the sync in the main program is easy.
    Yes, but I will make it into a separate call smile.gif and it takes a while to get through the spin code as there is a reasonable amount of it.

Now if we can just find someone to do a new font.... Their not really my speciality.

I should have an update in a few minutes.

Post Edited (stevenmess2004) : 2/14/2008 12:43:33 AM GMT
    edited 2008-02-14 00:46
    Update time. have added a function boxSync that waits for the sync in the cog so it has a little more time. You now need to pass the sync ptr in when you start. Also am in the process of making quads work - The XOR works but it currently has a gap between the triangles smile.gif Also added VIRAND's pixelColor function although this is not tested.

I don't know what can be done about overlapping boxes like in your demo though.
    edited 2008-02-14 19:42
    The "overlapping" boxes are o.k. This is a feature, not a bug smile.gif Using XOR is a spicific technique with known limitations. It can NOT substitute full double buffering.

But it is is a nice work around when needing the memory for code and true data rather than for a second video buffer.... Its main application is "marking" things, as with cursors, marquees. general highlighting....
    edited 2008-02-14 19:58
    We will have to check if the pixel sprites work. I haven't looked at them yet... I will when I get home from work in about 9 hours or so.
    edited 2008-02-15 10:17
    Time for an update.
    State of affairs all for pixel width of 0

Lines - Works
    Boxes - Works if you boxXOR or boxXORSync (I think). deSilva's demo doesn't but the boxes in the codes here work fine.
    Vector Sprites - Works
    Text -Works but the current font is ugly
    Pixel Sprites -Appears to work
    Triangles -Works
    Arcs -Appears to work
    Quads -Don't work, they have a line through the middle

Pixel widths of other than 0 will probably not be supported unless someone can come up with a new algorithm.

Would people be interested in being able to scale characters the same as vectors i.e. $100 is one allowing some fraction multiples instead of just integer?

Edit: updated table and download

Post Edited (stevenmess2004) : 2/15/2008 10:37:30 AM GMT
    edited 2008-02-15 20:11
    Good work, Steven!

Here a new version of the test routines:
    - I added a Glyph routine, using the ROM font (16x32).
    The internal font looks VERY ugly in XOR mode only; "framed text demo" now displays an overlayed text, and then XORs it, showing the points of trouble
    - I was not able to get boxXORsync to sync...

The demos:
    (1) 20 seconds Moving ROM Glyphs, standard size (16x32), funnily look also good doubled (width(1)) in XOR mode, look also "interesting" in larger width smile.gif
    (2) Slow Worm, showing principle
    (3) Fast Worm, showing that XOR works fine (no artefacts!), wrap around effects are normal and done with purpose
    (4) Text Wheel shows effective speed, but also (known) problems with the vector font in XOR mode
    (5) Pulsing Frames - to be improved soon to show speed
    (6) Framed Text Drawn text is overlayed and then trying to delete it with XOR. (Known) artefacts remain.
    (7) filled Boxes How to use boxXORsync ??

---
    Edit: small upgrade..

Post Edited (deSilva) : 2/15/2008 10:07:02 PM GMT
    edited 2008-02-15 22:35
    This is the assembly code that gets called for the boxXORxync
    fillSync_               rdlong  t1,syncPtr_             'wait for sync pointer to be 1
                            cmp     t1,#1           wz
                  if_z      jmp     #fillSync_

Is there anything wrong with it?
  • VIRANDVIRAND Posts: 656
    edited 2008-02-15 22:40
    Stevenmess2004 said...
    Also added VIRAND's pixelColor function although this is not tested.
    Sorry about misunderstandings about my pixelcolor code. It is slow and only works
    in 256x192 4-color mode. I was hoping and suggesting that if someone was reworking the driver,
    they might be able to simply modify the gr.plot function to also read back the pixel color.
    (My game project reads pixelcolors a lot, but the graphics driver does not.)
    edited 2008-02-15 23:40
    @VIRAND: As there is no free long in the COG anymore, so there is no chance at the moment to speed this up..

@Steven: It should be IF_NZ smile.gif But is does not help terribly much... It makes it just SLOWER

I enclose an update using machine code - thus a new COG! - for extracting the ROM glyphs. This is simple, but nevertheless needs 12 instructions.... The speed-up however is - astonishing, as always...
    edited 2008-02-15 23:53
    deSilva said...
    I enclose an update using machine code - thus a new COG! - for extracting the ROM glyphs. This is simple, but nevertheles needs 12 instructions....
    I can make 12 more longs in the cog if we need them.
    deSilva said...
    @Steven: It should be IF_NZ But is does not help terribly much... It makes it just SLOWER
    This just syncs starting drawing the box to the start of drawing the frame. So if you call boxXORsync for every box it will limit your box drawing rate to whatever the screen refresh rate is.
    edited 2008-02-16 00:09
    stevenmess2004 said...
    So if you call boxXORsync for every box it will limit your box drawing rate to whatever the screen refresh rate is.
    This is very well understood smile.gif
    It takes sometimes more than one frame to fill things!
    The funny thing is it flickers less when I do
    PRI moveBox(mX, mY, iOld, iNew)
    ' restricted to drawing in vertical sync only 
       if iNew>1 
          repeat until tv_params==1
          gr.boxXOR(mX-iNew,mY-iNew, 2*iNew, 2*iNew)   
       if iOld >1
          repeat until tv_params==1       
          gr.boxXOR(mX-iOld,mY-iOld, 2*iOld, 2*iOld)

rather than calling the (patched) boxXORsync. I now leave the boxXORsync in Version 112... I had a typo here just in these routines, responsible for the diagonal..
    edited 2008-02-16 00:16
    The code needed for glyph speed-up is something like this:
    ORG 0
    asmGlyph
       RDLONG   : glyph,    PAR WZ
     IF_Z JMP   #asmGlyph  
       ROR      : glyph,    #1  WC
       SHL      : glyph,    #7
       ADD      : glyph,    :_8000  
       MOV      : linewc,   #64
       MOV      : pixAddr,  PAR
       ADD      : pixaddr,  #8

: loop
       RDWORD   : pattern,   :glyph
       REV      : pattern,   #16 
     IF_NC SHR  : pattern,   #1
       AND      : pattern,   :_11111111
       MOV      : pattern2,   : pattern    ' can be left out
       SHL      : pattern2,   #1            ' can be left out
       OR       : pattern,   : pattern2     'can be left out
       WRWORD   : pattern,   : pixAddr
       ADD      : pixAddr,   #2
       ADD      : glyph,     #2
       DJNZ     : linewc,    #: loop

WRLONG   : null,      PAR 
       JMP       #asmGlyph       

: NULL       LONG 0
    : _8000     LONG $8000
    : _11111111  LONG %%11111111
    : pixAddr   RES 1   
    : glyph     RES 1
    : linewc    RES 1
    : pattern   RES 1
    : pattern2  RES 1

I am afraid that is MUCH more than 12 LONGS smile.gif Though some of the intermediate variables can most likely be reused; also the interface will be simpler..

Post Edited (deSilva) : 2/16/2008 2:54:30 AM GMT
    edited 2008-02-16 00:44
    I'll see what I can do. I may be able to fit it in smile.gif Since the fillSync doesn't seem to be working I'll take that out. I count 26 longs needed above. We can no doubt use some of the unused arguments as temp storage and the temp variables for storage as well. I count 18 longs of actual instructions so I may be able to fit that in.

deSilva, would it be possible to add an fps (or just the counter period) display? This could be helpful in optimising the boxes.

Post Edited (stevenmess2004) : 2/16/2008 1:01:33 AM GMT
    edited 2008-02-16 01:02
    This is quite astonishing for a program, for more than a year stuffed upto the last long smile.gif

XORing glyphs is quite flexible, as the background will shine through the holes, which was formerly only possible by the vector font... Placing them on "white" will make them black, and placing them on black will make them white (assuming 0= white and 3 = black). This can be handy... I'll carry on with some demos smile.gif
    edited 2008-02-16 01:17
    The ROM font actually gives quite a nice effect with a width of 3. I currently have 14 longs free with some more to come smile.gif
    edited 2008-02-16 02:24
    Okay, I've got 18 longs free but the y scale on the font isn't working properly so I have to figure out what is wrong with that before I go further.

It is weird how the boxes flicker the most when they are a medium size and less when they are large.
    edited 2008-02-16 04:43
    Here is the version with 18 longs free. Text scaling is now fixed. Just a note, a font fixed for the XOR mode will not look good when scaled as it will have gaps in it.

i.e. If the orignal font started at had a line ending at 2,2 and a line starting at 2,2 we would need to change the starting point of the second line to 2,3 or 3,2 so that the 2,2 point did not get written to twice. The problem comes when you scale the font. The end point will be 4,4 but the new start point will be 4,6 or 6,4 leaving a gap. Possible ways around this are to use a full vector which can be made to work properly but, that won't handle curves well and it will be a fair bit bigger. Second option is to use the ROM font which we are currently working on.

If people want I could put in an option to change the font (the current vector one) being used (it would just the start pointer in the cog).

Now to see If I can find any more space in the cog...
    edited 2008-02-16 06:52
    This version has 23 longs free. It may be possible to free 4 more longs in the cog but this would make lines and points plot slower.

Now to see what I can do with the ROM font...

Edit: Just updated and you can change the font though not tested - use setFont(fontBase)

Edit2: We could save even more space if we take out the ability to set the x,y offset or move it to spin. Don't know how much space but it would be a few.

Post Edited (stevenmess2004) : 2/16/2008 7:15:19 AM GMT
    edited 2008-02-16 09:19
    stevenmess2004 said...
    ... if we take out the ability to set the x,y offset or move it to spin.
    You refer to gr.setup?
    I think this would break to many programs... Still thinking of COMPATIBILITY. It should be possible to use your improved version without change in "historic" programs
    edited 2008-02-16 09:28
    That's fine it was just an idea. Compatibility is probably more important. It would be possible to just remove it from the cog and do it in the spin portion but that would be slower.
    edited 2008-02-16 12:32
    stevenmess2004 said...
    ...Just a note, a font fixed for the XOR mode will not look good when scaled as it will have gaps in it.

i.e. If the orignal font started at had a line ending at 2,2 and a line starting at 2,2 we would need to change the starting point of the second line to 2,3 or 3,2 so that the 2,2 point did not get written to twice. The problem comes when you scale the font.

I had also thought of not modifying the font, but systematically NOT writing the very first pixel with any line. This will have the same issues with scaling of course....
    edited 2008-02-16 12:33
    Now doing the glyphs in the cogsmile.gif and only 4 longs left. Use drawGlyph(x,y,rotate,0,glyph). note that this may change so I can do a drawGlyphArc.

Next do drawGlyphArc...

Also, the pixelColor method is being worked on so it won't work just yet smile.gif not forgotten though.

Edit: bedtime for me now so I probably won't be able to look at this for another 14 hours at least

Post Edited (stevenmess2004) : 2/16/2008 12:48:20 PM GMT
    edited 2008-02-16 14:50
    New Demos:
    - Histogram, using XOR to add and subtract, nearly flickerfree
    - Extracting 8x12 Clemens font, in a text wheel, but rather slow because done in SPIN

Using gr.drawGlyph for the GlyphBounce now... I have to call gr.drawGlyph twice, as it seems the buffer cannot be re-used... It would be nice to have a "text" and "textArc" routine in SPIN, using a generic setGlyph routine the buffer of which can directly be used for PIX or PIXARC

Post Edited (deSilva) : 2/16/2008 6:55:40 PM GMT
    edited 2008-02-16 21:53
    deSilva said...
    New Demos:
    - Histogram, using XOR to add and subtract, nearly flickerfree
    Like the histogram, maybe it can be added to the HSS player as a graphics equalizer smile.gif
    deSilva said...

- Extracting 8x12 Clemens font, in a text wheel, but rather slow because done in SPIN
    We may be able to load different routines into the cog for doing different fonts. How big do you think this would be in assembly?
    deSilva said...
    Using gr.drawGlyph for the GlyphBounce now... I have to call gr.drawGlyph twice, as it seems the buffer cannot be re-used... It would be nice to have a "text" and "textArc" routine in SPIN, using a generic setGlyph routine the buffer of which can directly be used for PIX or PIXARC
    The buffer for the glyph is currently in the graphics driver and the address you pass in is ignored. It is simple to change this though... I'll see about doing some methods to print string later today.
    edited 2008-02-17 03:45
    re: Buffer....
    The space needed fpr a glyph is not negligible (260 bytes)... Are there other buffers needed in GRAPHICS? Maybe the user should provide this buffer, to possibly allow him a caching strategy.. Or maybe not... Or maybe GRAPHICS checks for re-used?

Some functions as textdraw now return prematurely, to allow true parallal activity. This is useful for the glyph setting as well... It might restrict the use of a user provided buffer, and requires calling of gr.finish in some cases... This is not a problem - the user just has to understand this...

re: Histogram. This can be accomplished with a tricky use of tiles as well... However there are many more options with true graphics.

XORing is NOT flicker free - but it generally restricts the changes to such a small part that it in fact does not flicker, or this is hardly noticable (see: "Pulsing Rectangles"). When the amount of changes increases (see: the many characters now in "Glyph-Bounce") chances are that SOMETHING flickers...

Updating a histogram is not the classical XOR application, it can also be done by deleting and redrawing the complete column (or part of it)... However this will increase the time the eye will notice a flicker, in contrast to a "softer" XOR.