Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Measuring Current using a a data logging Multimeter — Parallax Forums

Measuring Current using a a data logging Multimeter

edlikestoboogieedlikestoboogie Posts: 71
edited 2008-10-30 03:23 in Propeller 1
This question is general, and doesn't involve the prop specifically. but eventually it will help me with my prop project. I need to measure and log current from a small toy solar panel. The kind you can buy from radioshack. It is rated at about 400ma max and 0.5 volts DC. How do I measure the current off this solar panel? I have a data logging multimeter with an autoranging Anmeter. I was told that hooking the solar panel directly to the multimeter is not the correct way to measure the current output of the solar panel, even though my multimeter has a mA DC setting. I was told that a series of resistors connected to a load is required to measure the current that the load is taking from the solar panel. Is this correct? If so, how do I exactly do this? and what ohm resistors should I use?

Comments

• Chuck McManisChuck McManis Posts: 65
    edited 2008-02-07 21:33
    Some basic electronics knowledge here, Ohm's law states that voltage is equal to the product of current and resistance, using E to represent voltage, I to represent current, and R to represent resistance that can be written mathematically as E = I * R. A related relation ship is that power (in Watts) is equal to the product of voltage and current. Using P for power we can write that P = I * E. Knowing these formulas, you can exploit them to get the information you need (more on that in a second)

Solar panels are interesting devices. The most interesting thing to me (who has a bunch of them on my roof) is that the power they produce has a "maximum" which is at a particular current draw. In plain english that means that the amount of power you get out of the panel depends on how much current you draw. To get the optimum amount of power out of a panel you need to vary the current draw while measuring the voltage and find the point where the product of the two creates the most net power.

Now on to your questions. So a solar cell that is not connected to anything generates no power. It produces a voltage potential (known as its open circuit voltage) but until there is a path between its + and - leads that can conduct current it will not generate any power. If you are not interested in doing any useful work with this solar cell (like charging a battery or running a toy), then you can connect a 1.0 ohm resistor between the + and - leads to provide a current path. A resistor converts the current going through it into heat, the amount of heat it can safely generate is measured in Watts. So a 1/4 watt resistor can safely dissipate one fourth of a watt of power as heat. So how much power will is dissipate? Remember from above that Power was I * E ? well E is also I * R so substituting that value of E in for E in the power equation we get another common form P = I * I * R (or P = I^2 * R). So your 1.0 ohm resistor is only 1 ohm which makes the math simple, P = I^2. If the solar cell can generate .4 amps (400 mA = .4 A) then the most power a 1 ohm resistor connected to it would have to dissipate would be .4 * .4 or 0.16 watts. Since this is less than .250 watts the 1/4 watt 1.0 ohm resistor would over heat in this configuration.

Now you have a circuit that is safe in all situations, solar cell that can generate at most 400mA connected to a 1.0 ohm resistor. Now to measure how well the solar cell is working we go back to the start with ohm's law. If you measure the voltage that appears across this resistor, which is to say the + probe of your voltmeter is connected to the + side and the - probe is connected to the other side of the resistor. You can use the voltage measurement to calculate the current that is flowing through that resistor. Since E = I * R by ohms law, re-arranging and solving for I you get I = E / R is the current. Since the resistance is 1.0 you can see that the current will be I = E / 1.0 which we all know anything divided by 1.0 is simply itself so the current through the resistor in amps will be exactly the same as the voltage reading across the resistor (see why we picked 1.0 ohms? )

To measure this current with a microcontroller like the propeller or a BASIC Stamp, you need an analog to digital converter which can convert a voltage into a binary number. There are lots of those around but they basically take a reference voltage which is used as the maximum voltage (0 is of course the minimum on the converter you want to use) and divide it up into n parts where n is 2^bits (256 for an 8 bit converter, 4096 for a 12 bit converter, etc). Each time you read the voltage you will know how much current (because you are using a 1 ohm resistor) the solar cell is putting out.

HTH
    --Chuck
  • StefanL38StefanL38 Posts: 2,292
    edited 2008-02-07 21:45
    hello,

there is one question to clear:

do you use the solar panel to supply something (device)?

if so you have to INSERT your multimeter in serial to the supplying circuit

plus of solarpanel
    plus of Multimeter in mA-Measuring mode
    GND of multimeter
    plus of supplied device
    GND of device
    GND of solarpanel

you can use the multimeter in ma-measuring mode as a dummy-device

plus of solarpanel
    plus of Multimeter in mA-Measuring mode
    GND of multimeter
    GND of solarpanel

but make sure that your the measuring-range of your multimeter is more than 400 mA !

Otherwise you have to put a resistor in serial to the multimeter to limit the current to a value lower the measuring-range of the multimeter

if this was not understandable feel free to post another question

greetings

Stefan
  • edlikestoboogieedlikestoboogie Posts: 71
    edited 2008-02-07 22:26
    Stefan,

I am using the solar Panel to recharge two AA 1.5volt batteries. I'm assuming I should use NI-CAD batteries instead of NI-MH? I am going to directly hookup the batteries to the solar panel, so that the panel recharges empty batteries. And then I will hook up the multimeter inline with the batteries and solar panel, with no resistor. Also the multimeter is autoranging and can handle 400mA. So I think this should work, right?

In the mean time, I will read your post and chuck's more carefully to fully understand this situation.
    edited 2008-02-07 22:31
    Just to be clear Ed, your solar panel has to generate more than 1.7 volts if you want to charge the batteries in parallel and more than 3.4 volts if you want to charge them in series. You can't charge a battery unless you can "run it backwards" which requires having a higher voltage potential than the batteries themselves.

So you have a source of .5v solar cells, start with 7 of them hooked together in series.

--Chuck
  • edlikestoboogieedlikestoboogie Posts: 71
    edited 2008-02-10 18:57
    So chuck are you saying that: a good way to find out the maximum output of a solar panel would be to connect a 1.0 ohm 1 watt resistor between the + and - leads to the solar cell and then measure the current using an anmeter? You kind of confused me when you told me to use a voltmeter. I know if you know the resistor value and the voltage over time you can calculate the current. but wouldn't it be easier to just use an anmeter? Is m7y thinking correct chuck?
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2008-02-10 19:17
    Ed, the problem Chuck pointed to is that there is no such thing as "current" as such.... There is a shortcut current, which is a theoretical limit trying to measure will harm the cell (or any battery). There is also an open circuit voltage. Connecting those to points in voltage/current diagram would give you a straight line, IF the inner resistance were constant. But it is not with solar cells...

So when you want to learn something about your system you should messure the voltage with a (resistor) load of - say - 1, 3.3, 10, and 33 Ohms and sketch the curve in such a diagram
    edited 2008-02-10 20:57
    edlikestoboogie said...

So chuck are you saying that: a good way to find out the maximum output of a solar panel would be to connect a 1.0 ohm 1 watt resistor between the + and - leads to the solar cell and then measure the current using an anmeter? You kind of confused me when you told me to use a voltmeter. I know if you know the resistor value and the voltage over time you can calculate the current. but wouldn't it be easier to just use an anmeter? Is my thinking correct chuck?
    I think your confusion comes from where you skipped over the explanation of Ohms law and how to apply it in this case. Go back and read what I wrote again which describes how current and voltage are related. That explains what a voltmeter can help you know how much current is flowing through a 1 ohm resistor.

You also followed up that you were going to try and charge two 1.5v batteries with this solar cell. That won't work, it won't even charge one battery because it does not generate a voltage that is higher than 1.5v (which you would need to charge one battery). Lots of fun things to learn from solar cells though so I wouldn't throw it out, just don't expect it to charge a battery by itself.

--Chuck
  • bassmasterbassmaster Posts: 181
    edited 2008-10-26 03:49
    If you want a really easy way, go spend 18 bucks like I did at home depo and buy the 6 pack of solar garden lights, take one apart and you should have everything you need, plus the 2 1.2v aa batteries in each one! (the panels are probably a bit too heavy with epoxy though, so not great for mobile robotics)

you could unplug the led's (not sure of the circuit), run wiring in from all 12 batteries from the back yard into the house for a good 14.4v for lighting or whatever anytime you want it.

Sean

Post Edited (bassmaster) : 10/26/2008 4:09:56 AM GMT
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2008-10-28 23:55
    @Chuck: I appreciated your clear and concise tutorial - thanks

@deSilva: Nice to see you're still around - we've missed you here wink.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,
    Simon

www.norfolkhelicopterclub.com

You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again wink.gif
    BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offence at my writing style smile.gif

Post Edited (simonl) : 10/29/2008 12:08:23 AM GMT
  • schwiegjcschwiegjc Posts: 41
    edited 2008-10-30 03:23
    There is an IC(I+,I-,5Vdc,GND,VOUT) that can measure the current. The output is TTL Level that indicates the amount of current flowing. Vout is 2.5Vdc = 0 amps, Scale factor is 40mV per 1amp. I placed an output amplifier of gain= 25 to get 1V/Amp. If you are interested, I can get the IC and free samples can be received at the vendors website. This IC can be interfaced with STAMP or Propelllar to log current values. The microphone input is 0 to Vdd(3.3Vdc) so level shifting can be performed to·capture the·measured current without an A/D IC.