Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RFID Question — Parallax Forums

RFID Question

myztixmyztix Posts: 4
edited 2008-02-09 19:41 in Learn with BlocklyProp
I'm not sure if this is an RFID issue or the logic of Basic Stamp, but I was wondering if it was possible to have the RFID reader simultaneously work with other sensors. The RFID waits for a tag to be read. While it is waiting, you can not perform any other functions. Are there any solutions besides having a separate system for the RFID reader.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-02-07 19:15
    The Stamp processors are what is called "single threaded". They can only do one thing at a time. When they're waiting for data to be received, they can't do anything else. There are some third party serial receive buffers that might allow you to do what you want. Here's one example that's intended to work with a Stamp:
    www.protean-logic.com/tickit/rsb509B_HTML_Cutsheet.htm.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2008-02-09 19:41
    Hello,

Others options would be to use a timeout on the SERIN for the RFID Reader to allow the BASIC Stamp to periodically check other sensors. Another option which I have tested is to use the output of the RFID to detect a transition while monitoring other sensors and then jump to the SERIN when activity has been detected. This sometimes requires the RFID Tag to be held in place for 1 second longer, but it works and you can easily indicate when a successful tag read has occurred to allow the user to remove their tag. I hope this helps. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support