Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
uOLED-96-PROP Object Design Contest - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

uOLED-96-PROP Object Design Contest

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2008-05-08 14:50
    Sorry for the delay everyone...the last few days here at Parallax have been busy and we have been a little short on resources. I will try to get this taken care of by tomorrow at the latest.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2008-05-10 10:58
    How many entries do you think they're dealing with? Must be more that I would have thought...
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2008-05-10 16:13
    Well, the uOLED-96-PROP stock in the on-line store is low, so I guess a few people got involved [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    jazzed
  • PraxisPraxis Posts: 333
    edited 2008-05-12 13:09
    Have the results of this contest been posted yet?
    edited 2008-05-14 00:09
    Nope. Strange, isn't it?
    edited 2008-05-14 09:22
    Yeah Rayman, it is a bit strange.

I was curious to see the outcome of this.
  • RambomanRamboman Posts: 101
    edited 2008-05-14 10:06
    Me too smurf.gif
    edited 2008-05-15 15:06
    Sorry everyone! I may have to wrap things this weekend...a bunch of things have come up that required my attention here at Parallax and I had to drop everything else temporarily. A few may have noticed I wasn't even on the forums. One big delay was our Reflow Oven (manufactured in the Netherlands) has seen a few issues in the recent past when suddenly the conveyer chain stopped working. The company doesn't provide schematics for their products (unlike Parallax Inc.) so I had to reverse engineer the board to determine what was wrong with it and fix it. Fortunately the CPU board was almost identical to the control boards I used to build years ago. Z80-based...EEPROM, 74HCTxx logic...Turns out a 74HCT373 failed. Anyway, I just wrapped that yesterday and have some testing today so, if I don't finish it by tomorrow (I should) I will wrap everything on my own time this weekend. There weren't a ton of submissions...Just bad timing.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • ErNaErNa Posts: 1,749
    edited 2008-05-17 14:05
    Now I own a µOLED-96-Prop and nearly can't await the contests output. Oh Let the leds shine bright

Post Edited (ErNa) : 5/18/2008 1:58:29 PM GMT
    edited 2008-05-17 19:00
    You don't have to wait to see mine [noparse]:)[/noparse]

I posted it here:

http://www.rayslogic.com/propeller/3rdPartyHardware/uOLED-96-Prop/RS232Driver.htm
    edited 2008-05-18 13:59
    Hey Rayman, I loaded down the software and it works fine. Certainly, there's a lot of work ahead, before I'll make good use of it. But it is a big step towards a fantastic application. It just need an idea wink.gif
    edited 2008-05-19 23:31
    Glad it works for you! Maybe that takes some pressure off Chris to post contest results...
    edited 2008-05-20 14:35
    Okay everyone, after many apologies for making you wait so long we’re pleased to announce the winner of the contest as Ray Allen (Rayman). The page he linked was the project submission and was quite a bit more than we expected. A prize package will be sent out this week.

Everyone please give a big round of applause and congratulations for Ray, who is also a frequent contributor to these forums!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • ratronicratronic Posts: 1,451
    edited 2008-05-20 14:43
    Congradulations Rayman!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Fix it, if it ain't broke·
    D Rat

Dave Ratcliff· N6YEE
  • BTXBTX Posts: 674
    edited 2008-05-20 14:59
    Great Ray !!
    Congratulations, and thanks for share your ideas...everytime.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Regards.

Alberto.
    edited 2008-05-20 15:04
    Congrats Ray
    edited 2008-05-20 18:24
    Me too. As a previewer!
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-05-20 18:27
    Congratulations Rayman. Nice package.
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-05-20 19:12
    congrats Ray! You deserve it!
    (Do share with us what you find in that Parallax box!)

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with the Protoboard? - Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card? - PropDOS
    Need a part? Got spare electronics? - The Electronics Exchange
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-05-20 20:09
    As a judge I will attest that Ray did a fantastic job. The bundled PC application made evaluating his object a breeze.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2008-05-20 20:19
    I'll add my congrat's here too - well done Rayman (your stuff's always a great help to me).

Will any of the other submissions be forthcoming too?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
    BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-05-20 20:39
    Well done Rayman. I'm sure the 'goodie bag' you've won won't be wasted.
  • ClemensClemens Posts: 236
    edited 2008-05-20 23:01
    Congratulations Ray.

I don't have a uoled (yet), but thanks for all·the inspiration on your website also. You definitely deserve it.

Clemens
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2008-05-21 00:31
    I knew I should have pushed for an over/under category...

So... if there was any doubt in your mind, if YOUR company needs help on the graphics end of things or if you just have a craggy problem that requires a fresh thinker with a wonderfully articulated brain... Rayman is a safe bet[noparse]:)[/noparse]
    edited 2008-05-21 12:42
    Thanks everybody! Ok, maybe I went a little overboard... But, I had fun playing with this thing. It happens to bring several of my hobby interests together... Maybe this will inspire 4D to give us a uOled-128-Prop!

They let me post it to OBEX myself, so I just finished doing that. It's also still on my web site.

There's a bunch of stuff there that could also be used in other projects...

Turns out that many displays use a similar interface... The PPI engine (hacked SPI engine) could come in useful.
    The auto-baud detection scheme seems to work well. Would be even better if converted to assembly.
    I've added in one of Clemen's secret fonts (8x12) with clever usage of the ROM font.
    I've figured out the trick of reading from GRAM. This could actually be used as fast, general-purpose RAM...
    There code there for reading from (all types) and writing to Windows Bitmaps.
  • Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2008-05-21 14:46
    Congrats Rayman.

I haven't looked into the details of the project yet, but it looks neat. I was thinking about coupling in an ASM driver for super fast screen udpates, but maybe you achieved that already.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter

www.brilldea.com·- check out the uOLED-IOC, an I/O expansion for the uOLED-96-PROP
    www.tdswieter.com
    One little spark of imagination is all it takes for an idea to explode
    edited 2008-05-21 15:03
    I did do a quick and dirty conversion to assembly. Had to do it to get pictures/animations from SD card to draw at a reasonable rate. It could probably be improved. I think the best frame rate from SD card was only ~10 fps (I haven't had time to carefully measure that). It would be nice to boost that to at least 24 fps with a sound channel too...
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2008-05-21 15:34
    Well done Ray!

I think parallax should employ you as a consultant as you are such a prolific coder!

Cheers,

Graham
  • Kaos KiddKaos Kidd Posts: 614
    edited 2008-05-21 15:42
    Nice Job Ray.

KK

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Propeller + Hardware - extra bits for the bit bucket =· 1 Coffeeless KaosKidd

·
    edited 2008-05-21 15:44
    Thanks Graham, rjo_

Fortunately (or unfortunately?) I already have a pretty good job right now...