Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Sparkfun's Nokia Knock-Off LCD — Parallax Forums

Sparkfun's Nokia Knock-Off LCD

RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
edited 2008-02-03 17:08 in Propeller 1
I've just started working with this $19.95 LCD...

So far, I've gotten Paul Bakers code to work with it...
I've tried jkroylance assembly SPI code, but it doesn't seem to work.· Maybe he had a different LCD?· I noticed in the original thread that some people had the Philips chip and that code doesn't seem work with this board...

I've converted the C example on the Sparkfun page to SPIN.· I think it gives good insight into how to use the commands.

I didn't use any resistors.· Just directly connected the Sparkfun's breakout board.

Definitely going to need the ASM SPI code as this is slow...· (I'm wondering if I should have gotten Sparkfun's other LCD with parallel interface...)

I've started collecting info here:
http://www.rayslogic.com/propeller/Programming/RaysStuff/Nokia/SparkfunNokia.htm

Comments

• HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2008-02-03 03:04
    Rayman,

Cute display. Good to have them in color finally.

A bit too small for some of my immediate needs.
    Wish they'd drop to around $1/in. instead of closer to $10. yeah.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2008-02-03 12:27
    @Rayman:
    - optimized serial transfer with SPIN is limited to a 30µs clock = 30 kbit/s (assembly drivers wil get you 1 Mbit/s )
    -However your bottle-neck is using SPIN at all:
    LCD_put_Pixel has 8 procedure calls, plus the calling sequence for itself will take another ms.
    This adds up to at least 2 ms per pixel. As you have 10k of them this should take you 10 to 20 seconds alone.

A better performance can be achieved by sending bulk data. Flickerless refresh is possible. This needs a similar kind of display buffer as with TV. I think one can make it compatible (same tiling, 64 color-sets. 4 colors each only!)

S65 implementation will follow soon smile.gif My devices (8 Euro each) had not yet been in the post yesterday :-(
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2008-02-03 14:37
    deSilva: I think you're right. I need to get as much into assembly as possible...
    Harley: With all the focus on recycling cell phones, I think there will be a ton of recycled displays soon that will be dirt cheap...

Right now, I'm debating between 8 and 12-bit modes... I think I'm leaning toward 12-bit mode so as to be able to show pictures more easily...
    edited 2008-02-03 16:02
    I've ported the 12-bit color example to Spin...

This is again, very slow but does work...· This one can set pixels, fill areas and draw text with Prop's ROM font.
    edited 2008-02-03 17:08
    Just converted the shiftout routine in the above code to assembly with Beau Schwabe "SPI Engine".
    It's now reasonably fast...