Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
protoboard eagle files ? — Parallax Forums

protoboard eagle files ?

SawmillerSawmiller Posts: 276
edited 2008-02-01 01:31 in Propeller 1
heres a question i thought of last night.
are there any eagle files ( board and schematic) for the parallax prop and sx protoboards ?
it would be good to have a sort of template , then you could figure out where is the best place to put your additions/ jumpers.
i am noticing that i seem to be using the protoboards as a base starting point most of the time.
lazy, i guess
danidea.gif

Comments

• parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2008-01-30 17:56
    If you want a physical representation that you can draw a layout of components on. You could just print the picture in the documentation. This was done in the Propeller cookbook, see the chapter about modifying to adapt SpinStudio modules. It illustrated easily the optimal positions for the connectors.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio

PropNIC - Add ethernet ability to your Propeller!

SD card Adapter
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-01-30 18:41
    Hi dan, our layout engineer uses PADS to do board layout. Eagle's import/export ability is extremely limited, so there's no way to import in to Eagle files generated in PADS or vice versa. We just purchased a 3 seat license for the Standard version of Eagle for those minor projects we don't need/want to involve him, but we still haven't figured out what we are going to do about the files (keep it in Eagle, or have him re-lay it out in PADS when a minor project becomes a product).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • MarkSMarkS Posts: 342
    edited 2008-01-30 18:55
    Paul Baker (Parallax) said...
    Hi dan, our layout engineer uses PADS to do board layout. Eagle's import/export ability is extremely limited, so there's no way to import in to Eagle files generated in PADS or vice versa. We just purchased a 3 seat license for the Standard version of Eagle for those minor projects we don't need/want to involve him, but we still haven't figured out what we are going to do about the files (keep it in Eagle, or have him re-lay it out in PADS when a minor project becomes a product).

You can write your own import/export functions if you know PADS' file format. Don't ask me how, but it can be done.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-01-30 19:03
    Yeah, it involves writing your own CAM processor, I don't know if the effort would be justified by the relatively few Eagle projects that become a product (right now the count is 0, but I am working on something which may eventually become a product).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • MarkSMarkS Posts: 342
    edited 2008-01-30 19:12
    Paul Baker (Parallax) said...
    Yeah, it involves writing your own CAM processor, I don't know if the effort would be justified by the relatively few Eagle projects that become a product (right now the count is 0, but I am working on something which may eventually become a product).

Yes, but most of your customers, especially the hobbyists, I would guess, use Eagle. It would benefit both Parallax and your customers. SparkFun does something really nice with all of their products. They create an Eagle library with accurate pin spacing and labels. It is very useful.
  • SawmillerSawmiller Posts: 276
    edited 2008-01-30 19:54
    thanks paul, brian, mark
    i could do the print/layout way, but it seems more complete to do it with a schematic/board layout to make sure all the wires are right.
    i have ( too many times ) just drawn up what i wanted, grabbed the soldering iron, and got to soldering.. only to find out after i had pounded my head against the wall for a couple of days, that i had the VDD and ground swapped, or sda and scl
    it probaly wouldnt prevent it, but it might slow me down.
    dan
  • Reset_VectorReset_Vector Posts: 55
    edited 2008-01-31 08:22
    Hello guys

Do you know the excellent free cad named Kicad, made by a french academic teacher and in public domain ?
    Schematic capture, autorouter, and 3D viewer of the board !!! All free !!!

Kicad homepage (in Inglish)

http://www.lis.inpg.fr/realise_au_lis/kicad/

Olivier
  • JoergJoerg Posts: 91
    edited 2008-01-31 10:05
    If i receive enough information, i will do the schematics / layouts in EAGLE.
    Since i use EAGLE for over 15 years it should not be too difficult!

Let me know!

Saluti Joerg
  • Nick MuellerNick Mueller Posts: 815
    edited 2008-01-31 13:02
    > Do you know the excellent free cad named Kicad,

No, I didn't!
    I have bought the small EAGLE-version that is just enough for my small boards I do. But I always do have to bend me over making layouts.

Sounds good, I'll have a try on it.
    Any experiences with it? Weak points? I wouldn't care how well the autorouter works (looking at EAGLE's router).

Nick

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Never use force, just go for a bigger hammer!

The DIY Digital-Readout for mills, lathes etc.:
    YADRO
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-02-01 01:31
    I'd be interested in an accurate ProtoBoard size and offsets for the four mounting holes and the set of 0.1" holes around the main Propeller Chip.

A board which could stack above or below would be very useful.