Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
TTL Serial — Parallax Forums

TTL Serial

phillip vphillip v Posts: 48
edited 2008-02-05 09:01 in Propeller 1
dose anyone know if TTL Serial can be done with the hydra-net port???

Post Edited (phillip v) : 1/30/2008 1:48:34 AM GMT

Comments

• phillip vphillip v Posts: 48
    edited 2008-01-30 02:27
    Yes, it should. After all, the Pink is TTL, and it's been run from the Prop...

Post Edited (phillip v) : 1/30/2008 9:52:17 PM GMT
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-01-30 02:41
    phillip v,
    There's a jumper selectable filter on the Hydra-Net port that you can disable. That leaves you with a 3.3V logic level I/O port. Check the Hydra schematic for specifics. I don't have it handy.
    edited 2008-01-30 03:22
    yha... I see what you mean, that realy sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! well that puts me back to hacking a link from hydra-net to a pic ENC28J60.... any one hear know this pic?????
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-01-30 03:28
    phillip v,

I've never commented on spelling and grammar in the forum before, and I certainly never wish to be given the title "Grammar Nazi". That's not what this forum is about; and heaven knows, I've had my share of gaffes (which I prefer to call "typos"). But I sense that you're fairly young, with most of your life ahead of you. Moreover, since you list your location as "michigan", I can safely assume that English is your first language. So this seems a reasonable time and place to emphasize the importance of good grammar and correct spelling as a prerequiste, not only for career advancement, but just for being accepted as literate and well-rounded by the people you care about.

So, in case it matters (and I truly hope it does), your "yes it shude after all pink is TTL and its be run off the prop !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" might better have been expressed, "Yes, it should. After all, the Pink is TTL, and it's been run from the Prop!" If you wish to know why the latter is better, I'd be more than happy to explain it in detail.

Seriously, dude, for the sake of your future well-being, learn to spell, and pick up a copy of Strunk and White's The Elements of Style or any other grammar and usage reference that speaks to you, and master it. You'll be glad you made the effort!

Thanks for listening,
    -Phil

Post Edited (Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)) : 1/30/2008 3:39:41 AM GMT
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-01-30 04:11
    Well, I tried...

...and truly meant well by it. No offense was intended.

-Phil

Post Edited (Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)) : 1/30/2008 4:41:53 AM GMT
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-01-30 04:58
    You will need more than the two Hydra-net lines to interface to the ENC28J60.
    If you pickup the HYDRA Blank Experimenter Card, you will have the I/O you need
    for that chip.

Reading some of your posts, it looks like you are interested in hardware
    experimentation. This card would be a good addition to your Hydra.

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with the Protoboard? - Propeller Cookbook
    Got an SD card? - PropDOS
    A Living Propeller FAQ - The Propeller Wiki
    (Got the Knowledge? Got a Moment? Add something today!)

• Harrison.Harrison. Posts: 484
    edited 2008-01-30 05:04
    I've done ethernet stuff with the ENC28J60 + Propeller before. In fact, I have a project page for it here: proptcp.googlecode.com/. There's a limited http server on there, along with a link to a work in progress socket layer.

For the actual hardware interface, I would recommend you try to use the hydra expansion interface connector. You'll need at least 4 pins for the SPI interface (cs, clk, si, so). I don't own a hydra so I'm not sure if this would work or not (I assume it would, since there is a SD adapter card, which would also use 4 pins for high speed SPI).

It would be helpful if you posted a bit more information. The ENC28J60 is an ethernet controller, not a PIC. There are PICs with onboard ethernet controllers, but those have high pin counts and are surface mount, which makes them much harder to use.

Harrison
    edited 2008-01-30 14:45
    I see your guy's point about the expansion interface connector.... but I was hopeing to find a way to bring ethernet to hydra by way of the hydra-net. this way we can keep the expansion interface open for the sram and sd max. you see the thing I don't like about putting the ethernet in the expansion interface is that we will be stuck with only 128k·of programing space. not much for anykind of online gameing or anything else for hydra...

by the way, I was on another forum whare I learned that TTL is possible.
    quote:3.3V is fine, you can use a simple level translator or if you want to connect the 3.3v to a TTL circuit at 5V then just put pull ups to +5 on the outputs, and 100ohm inline on the inputs, that will take care of it. That's a trivial interface.

Just look up interfacing 3.3V to 5V systems.

Andre'

so I'm thinking that many of the ethernet products from www.lantronix.com would work on hydra.

Post Edited (phillip v) : 1/30/2008 3:34:13 PM GMT
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2008-02-05 09:01
    Absolutely, anything with 8-10 lines of data you can interface to the hydra via the expansion port or 2 lines at least with the hydra-net which is almost all you need for serial. But, of the serial to ethernet uses the DTR line or some other serial line then you will be out of luck and have to do it from the expansion port which is what its for anyway, so you best bet.

Andre'