Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Serial Expansion for oled Prop — Parallax Forums

Serial Expansion for oled Prop

alanfalanf Posts: 2
edited 2008-01-31 16:05 in Propeller 1
Hi, I am new to the Propeller chip, just got my hands on an oled prop board and want more io.· I was thinking of using
HC165, HC166 chips to give me slow side digital expansion.· Unless some one with more experience steers me another way.· Any help would be appreaciated

Comments

• deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2008-01-29 16:17
    It might be much easier to use an I2C port expander as the PCF8574, when you do not need high speed
    See example in my I2C thread http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=703283
  • alanfalanf Posts: 2
    edited 2008-01-31 13:31
    Thanks for the input I will check the data sheet, maybe I will lay out miniture pcbs for both solutions

Is the Oled prop pcb not so popular any more in this community?
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-01-31 16:05
    Regarding the oLED board ...
    There are many different Propeller boards that people have used. Particularly with commercial boards, there's always a flurry of interest when they first come out, then that dies down and people tend to choose a board because it has the particular features they need or want for a project or they may design their own board for the specific features they want.

The oLED board has a lot of advantages: small form factor, built-in uSD card, bullt-in small display.

It has some disadvantages: small built-in display, small form factor and delicate mechanically, limited I/O access, less than full speed.