Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Soldered to uSD card adapter — Parallax Forums

Soldered to uSD card adapter

RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
edited 2008-01-29 22:06 in Propeller 1
I was feeling bold, so I just soldered directly to a uSD card adapter connector and ...· it works!

I pre-wetted the adapter terminals and the wire ends to minimize melting (although there was a bit of melting...).

Now, I'm thinking that what we need is a pass-through SD card read/write Windows app that sends files over the serial link...· I though I saw something (maybe PropTerminal) with a zmodem function.· But, it would be nicer to be able to do directory listings and file deletions from Windows.

This way, you can solder on a regular SD card and still access the contents from Windows...·
1920 x 1080 - 1M

Comments

• PhilldapillPhilldapill Posts: 1,283
    edited 2008-01-29 04:18
    From the looks of that picture, that's not a micro SD card... It looks just like a regular SD. In that case, you can go to www.molex.com and order free samples of the SD sockets that you can just solder straight to the protoboard. This way, the SD is removeable, and you can move it between PC and prop.
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2008-01-29 04:22
    Philldapill said...
    From the looks of that picture, that's not a micro SD card... It looks just like a regular SD. In that case, you can go to www.molex.com and order free samples of the SD sockets that you can just solder straight to the protoboard. This way, the SD is removeable, and you can move it between PC and prop.

A lot of the MicroSD cards include a free adapter that looks like an SD card. From the picture it looks like that is what he used. If so he can just plug a MicroSD card into that adapter.
  • PhilldapillPhilldapill Posts: 1,283
    edited 2008-01-29 04:59
    Indeed. My mistake [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2008-01-29 08:57
    There is long thread long ago, where we discussed nearly all possbile ways to connect SD cards
    - using paper clips
    - soldering adapters (as Ray did)
    - using male headers w/ or w/o soldering

As the Propeller used the SPI-like MMC compatible connections only, this is generally quite simple and nearly everything works smile.gif

Ray's challenge was to avoid the plastic melting when soldering to the leads smile.gif
  • OzStampOzStamp Posts: 377
    edited 2008-01-29 12:01
    Hi

You did well Rayman.

Do I understand it correctly that only 32MB of any SD card is really addressable using the Propeller ?

That seems such a waste of a 1GB or even worse a 8GB card ?

Can somebody clarify this matter

Ron
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2008-01-29 12:37
    I bought a micro SD card yesterday and it also came with two adapters I was just thinking of doing this myself to get going in a cheap and cheerful way. That's timing for you.

I'm thinking of soldering a socket or pin array on so I can plug it in to various boards.

What is lacking in the world of DC card sockets is a push-push panel mount socket, often PCB does not make sense for me.

Graham
  • SawmillerSawmiller Posts: 276
    edited 2008-01-29 13:17
    philldapill,

i went to molex and was looking thru thier connectors and couldnt decide on which one to order.

which would you recomend ? i like the push to release type and it would be nice to have it with right angle .1 inch pins so it could be soldered direct to the proto... i also want to use this with the sx .

if i find one that works , i would probally buy 10 or so to start, so cost is a factor.

dan
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2008-01-29 13:36
    Oz: I just put 168 MB of wav files on a 1GB SD card and can play any of the files... I'm not aware of any 32 MB limit... One of the files is 40 MB and it plays fine...
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2008-01-29 18:48
    Using the fsrw drivers (which have been incorporated into femtobasic
    and a few other things) you can access up to 2GB (and coincidentally
    they only work with up to 2GB cards anyway).

Get a pile of 2GB cards while they are cheap. Next year everything
    might be 4GB or larger and these will need new software.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-01-29 18:59
    Rokicki, I don't share your concerns about the 2GB cards disappearing anytime soon. There are countless devices which cannot use High Capacity SD, so there will be a demand for the 2GB cards for quite a while longer, and where there is significant demand there will be a supply. However as those devices are replaced with newer ones, the demand will decrease and eventually the cost will rise (due to the economy of scale), but I don't see this happening for at least a few more years.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Paul Baker (Parallax)) : 1/29/2008 7:06:24 PM GMT
  • parskoparsko Posts: 501
    edited 2008-01-29 19:38
    I tend to agree with Paul, rokiki, based on the attached graph for DRAM...

-Parsko
    773 x 608 - 115K
  • mynet43mynet43 Posts: 644
    edited 2008-01-29 21:42
    Sawmiller et al,

You were asking about a uSD socket.

I use the surface mount socket from Sparkfun.com.

The part number is: PRT-00127 and it costs $3.95 for one, less for 10/100.

It's a push-push socket that works great.

I've had no trouble hand-soldering it to the board.

It would be easy to mount this on a tiny board with 0.1" pins to use with the proto board if that's what you want.

On my proto, I have a female header so I can plug things in when needed.

Jim
    250 x 250 - 12K
    2560 x 1920 - 2M
  • SawmillerSawmiller Posts: 276
    edited 2008-01-29 21:52
    thanks, i was looking at those sd sockets at sparkfun, wasnt sure if i could solder them.
    i'll have to get a few and make/buy some kind of breakout board to mount one on to do breadboarding with
    dan
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-01-29 21:54
    mynet43 said...

I've had no trouble hand-soldering it to the board.
    This depends the soldering tip, I soldered one yesterday and I needed to switch out the tip for a smaller one because the bigger tip couldn't fit under the lip. I have a nice 2nd degree burn on my thumb for my efforts tongue.gif.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-01-29 21:58
    You haven't been soldering if you don't have a burn to show for it. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with the Protoboard? - Propeller Cookbook
    Got an SD card? - PropDOS
    A Living Propeller FAQ - The Propeller Wiki
    (Got the Knowledge? Got a Moment? Add something today!)

• mynet43mynet43 Posts: 644
    edited 2008-01-29 22:06
    You're right about the fine tip. The pitch of the connections is pretty close, so it's a little tricky.

I've done several and occasionally I have to remove a solder bridge with solder wick but it's not hard to do.

Jim