Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
stepper motor using serial to parallel convertor and objsect. — Parallax Forums

stepper motor using serial to parallel convertor and objsect.

grasshoppergrasshopper Posts: 438
edited 2008-01-28 21:52 in Propeller 1
Has any one seen or heard of a object that will control a stepper motor using a serial to parallel ic? I wish to connect several stepper motors to my propeller and yet run them independently, so i am guessing that i would be able to run at least 5 or 6 per propeller.

Currently i am running a stepper motor using the object listed in the "stepping out" by nuts and volts. It works great i just want to free up some i/i pins and run a total of 18 stepper motors - independently.

Comments

• PhilldapillPhilldapill Posts: 1,283
    edited 2008-01-27 18:24
    Running a quick google search, I came up with this.
    http://download.siliconexpert.com/pdfs/2004/0629/semi_ap/1/roh/qd/bu2050f.pdf

I may be using this in a similiar app. since it requires such few pins.
    edited 2008-01-27 18:29
    If the object isn't made, I'm sure it would be easy to make. It would just require a function that takes an input of which stepper, and the phase to step to, then outputs that to the right chip, and voila. See, like I said easy LOL

Actually, my stepper's should be comming in any day now, and some Serial-Parallel IC's are on their way so I'll get started on the object. Collaboration is welcome.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-01-28 00:14
    Hi grasshopper, we ask our users not to use graphics in thier sig, it causes eye-clutter and thrashes our server's bandwidth.

Thanks,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2008-01-28 01:02
    Great! Grasshopper, I'm in college and have some tests this week, so I should be free to openly work on this after Wednesday this week. Message me on MSN Messenger anytime. Philldapill85@hotmail.com
  • grasshoppergrasshopper Posts: 438
    edited 2008-01-28 04:44
    Paul Baker (Parallax) said...
    Hi grasshopper, we ask our users not to use graphics in thier sig, it causes eye-clutter and thrashes our server's bandwidth.

Thanks,

Yes I have since removed it. Sorry for the trouble, i wanted to experiment and did not like it either.
    turn.gif

Back to the topic. If i can make it to my office tomorrow i will spend more time trying to address the coding. To me that seems to be the most difficult task.

Post Edited (grasshopper) : 1/28/2008 4:49:11 AM GMT
    edited 2008-01-28 20:38
    Ok:

I ordered a 74LS164 serial to parallel IC's and a few more L293 driver IC's. They will be here on Thursday or Friday. My problem today has been trying to figure out how to get the current stepper object converted over to a serial object using only 2 I/O pins.

1 pin for Clock and the other to send out data in a serial fashion. Ill post a schematic some time soon.
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2008-01-28 20:57
    It might be much easier to use an I2C port expander as the PCF8574.
    See example in my I2C thread http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=703283

Post Edited (deSilva) : 1/28/2008 9:02:40 PM GMT
    edited 2008-01-28 21:52
    Here is my current schematic and idea

sch2.JPG

Pins 3,4,5,6,10 will be the parallel data out to the L293's I am hoping that with this configuration I can run 3 stepper motors using only 5 I/O pins on the propeller. Of course I will be wanting to go as high as say 15 stepper motors maybe using only 2 propeller IC's

DeSilva,
    I will take a look at your example. Thanks