Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
64 / 32 => 32 Unsigned Divide — Parallax Forums

64 / 32 => 32 Unsigned Divide

Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
edited 2008-01-27 00:12 in Propeller 1
I needed a division routine that divides a 64-bit unsigned dividend by a 32-bit unsigned divisor to return a 32-bit quotient and 32-bit remainder, leaving the original carry bit unchanged. The only limitation would have to be that the high long of the dividend be less than the divisor (i.e. no overflow). I couldn't find a routine like this in the forum or in the object exchange (although I'm sure that deSilva, who has a memory like a steel trap, can point to one immediately). Here's the code I came up with:

'Divide ra:rb by rx, leaving quotient in rb, remainder in ra, and rx unchanged.
'Precondition: ra < rx.

divabx        [b]mov[/b]       cctr,#32     'Initialize loop counter.
:loop         [b]rcl[/b]       rb,#1 [b]wc[/b]     'Rotate quotient bit in from carry,
              [b]rcl[/b]       ra,#1 [b]wc[/b]     '  and rotate dividend out to carry
         [b]if_c[/b] [b]sub[/b]       ra,rx        'rx < carry:ra if carry set, so just subtract, leaving carry set.
        [b]if_nc[/b] [b]cmpsub[/b]    ra,rx [b]wc[/b]     'Otherwise, use cmpsub to do the dirty work.
              [b]djnz[/b]      cctr,#:loop  'Back for more.
              [b]rcl[/b]       rb,#1 [b]wc[/b]     'Rotate last quotient bit into place, restoring original carry.
divabx_ret    [b]ret[/b]

It's pretty straightforward, except for the inconvenient fact that cmpsub doesn't treat the carry flag as a most-significant bit when doing its comparison; so that condition has to be tested separately. (The consequence of this behavior for division routines that use cmpsub exclusively is that the high bit of the divisor must be zero.) The original carry bit simply propagates through rb and back out again, so is preserved.

Exclusive of the call and return, this routine takes 8.2µs to execute with an 80MHz clock.

-Phil

Comments

• deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2008-01-27 00:12
    The standard 32/16 routine is this:
    ' Divide x[noparse][[/noparse] 31..0] by y[noparse][[/noparse] 15..0] (y[noparse][[/noparse]16] must be 0)
    ' on exit, quotient is in x[noparse][[/noparse] 15..0] and remainder is in x[noparse][[/noparse] 31..16]
    '
    divide  shl   y, #15     'get divisor into y[noparse][[/noparse] 30..15]
            mov   t, #16     'ready for 16 quotient bits
    :loop
           cmpsub x, y   wc  'if y =< x then subtract it, set C
           rcl    x, #1      'rotate c into quotient, shift dividend
           djnz   t, #:loop  'loop until done
    divide_ret
    ret 'quotient in x[noparse][[/noparse] 15..0], rem. in x[noparse][[/noparse] 31..16]

Which is essentially the same.
    Note that they have not explicitely stated as Phil did, that "....the high long of the dividend be less than the divisor."

Now if we imagine we had only 16 bits words at our disposal how would that routine had to be modified?

We see immediately that we will already run into trouble with the first instruction (SHL #15). So, we first reduce our requirements to dividing 63 bit numbers by 31 bit numbers only smile.gif Tis is not so grave, as signed numbers are just of that kind...
    divide2 shl   y, #16     ' get divisor into y[noparse][[/noparse] 31..16]
            shl   x, #1      ' to compensate for this  
            mov   t, #16     ' ready for 16 quotient bits

Now directly adapting it to 63/31 bit division would yield:
    divide3 nop              ' leave divisor in y
            rcl   xl,#1   wc ' to compensate for one bit position
            rcl   xh,#1  
            mov   t, #32     ' ready for 32 quotient bits
           cmpsub xh, y  wc  'if yh =< x then subtract it, set C
           rcl    xl, #1      'rotate c into quotient...
           rcl    xh, #1     '...  shift dividend

shr    xh, #1     ' but the remainder had been shifted once too often
    divide3_ret

It is obvious now, that we can save an instruction by CAREFULLY exchanging CMPSUB and the RCLs
    divide4  
            mov   t, #32     ' ready for 32 quotient bits
     ' but mind the very first carry!!  
           rcl    xl, #1   wc 'rotate c into quotient...
           rcl    xh, #1     '...  shift dividend
           cmpsub xh, y  wc  'if yh =< x then subtract it, set C

' now the remnainder had been shifted correctly, but not the result!       
           rcl    xl, #1
    divide4_ret

This looks like a straightforward transformation... It comes out very nicely withthe preserved carry flag. I think the special consideration Phil took for the CMPSUB overflow has to do with his strive for 64/32 rather than 63/31 division. I THINK it works, but I am not absolutely sure smile.gif

Post Edited (deSilva) : 1/27/2008 12:17:10 AM GMT