Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Tool 1.06 — Parallax Forums

Propeller Tool 1.06

hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
edited 2008-03-26 19:08 in Propeller 1
I didn't see any specific announcement, although Jeff Martin (Parallax) did note its imminent arrival was due ... Propeller Tool 1.06 available for download now ...

www.parallax.com/ProductInfo/Microcontrollers/PropellerDownloads/tabid/442/Default.aspx

11MB

Comments

• parskoparsko Posts: 501
    edited 2008-01-22 18:14
    Hippy,

It was avail last night, actually. I DL'd it and loaded it with no problems. The com port issue is resolved (NICE!) I was going to write the same post you did to announce it, but figured Parallax would instead, so I didn't.

Thanks Jeff!!! I guess you haven't had the kid yet??? Or, was this your "I need to think about something else while I wait" task? For me, it was my RFID Temp sensor project... I'm glad you at least finished yours!!!

-Parsko

Post Edited (parsko) : 1/23/2008 12:16:24 AM GMT
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-01-23 01:16
    Still causing error messages that must be canceled at startup if you have a card reader installed without cards inserted. Has anyone found a work-around short of disconnection of the card reader? Looks like proptool checks every drive listed on startup, if there's no disk it errors out. [noparse]:([/noparse]

OBC

[noparse][[/noparse]Update by Moderator]· This problem has been resolved: please download Propeller Tool v1.2.5 for the fix.

http://www.parallax.com/tabid/442/Default.aspx

Post Edited By Moderator (Jeff Martin (Parallax)) : 12/6/2008 1:26:30 AM GMT
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-01-23 02:05
    That is an unrelated issue, that has to do with the explorer object in the Tool, it's behavior in this respect is beyond our control.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-01-23 02:53
    At first I thought, "Nah, Paul can't possibly be right about this, it's got to be an issue with Proptool." -- Then I decided that he hasn't been wrong yet..

Here's a solution I found to the 'Windows No Disk, exception, blah, blah" error
    that worked perfectly here.

Because this uses REGEDIT, please use with extreme care if you've never done anything in the Windows Registry.

1. Click Start and then Run.
    2. Type REGEDIT into the Run dialog box when it comes up and then click OK. The Registry Editor will open.
    3. Navigate to and select the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows

4. On the right pane, right click on "ErrorMode" and click on Modify.
    5. Change the value to 2.

This has cleaned up the issues with this problem! Thanks Paul for pointing my nose in the right direction to fix this.

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with the Protoboard? - Propeller Cookbook
    Got an SD card? - PropDOS
    A Living Propeller FAQ - The Propeller Wiki
    (Got the Knowledge? Got a Moment? Add something today!)

• PhilldapillPhilldapill Posts: 1,283
    edited 2008-01-23 03:31
    Parsko, this com port resolution you mentioned... Is it the "Propeller Lost on com..." error when downloading a program to the prop?(Please say yes - I get that too frequently)
    edited 2008-01-23 07:25
    No, that is due to latency issues on the PC, again something we can't control from the program. The only way to relax the timings is to make physical changes to the chip design which means remanufacturing the chip.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
  • Ken PetersonKen Peterson Posts: 806
    edited 2008-01-23 13:39
    So what exactly is new with 1.06?· Is it just the com port issue?··Are there any other fixes or added features?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

The more I know, the more I know I don't know.· Is this what they call Wisdom?
  • parskoparsko Posts: 501
    edited 2008-01-23 14:11
    Philldapill said...
    Parsko, this com port resolution you mentioned... Is it the "Propeller Lost on com..." error when downloading a program to the prop?(Please say yes - I get that too frequently)

No, as paul said... I was noting that it loaded the tool without that initial com port issue we sometimes get. It has no problem for me last night either.

KCP, check out the changes page...

Changes to version 1.06 Propeller IDE (AKA, differences from previous version)

-Parsko
    edited 2008-01-23 22:03
    Com port is the only new thing in the new release, if you have no need for it, you can skip updating your tool.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
  • Jeff MartinJeff Martin Posts: 756
    edited 2008-01-23 23:42
    parsko said...
    Thanks Jeff!!! I guess you haven't had the kid yet??? Or, was this your "I need to think about something else while I wait" task? For me, it was my RFID Temp sensor project... I'm glad you at least finished yours!!!
    [noparse]:)[/noparse]· Not yet, still waiting on delivery.· This serial port issue is one I've been working on since Dec; testing on many machines, experiementing with various situations, devices, etc, so most of the work was done before my daughter's arrival was near. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    philldapill·said...
    ... this com port resolution you mentioned... Is it the "Propeller Lost on com..." error when downloading a program to the prop?(Please say yes - I get that too frequently)
    Not yet, sorry.· If the problem you speak of is due to CPU load (GUI actions on-screen, various other services and programs struggling for CPU time, etc), then I think now I have a solution in the works, but will require a bit more testing to be sure.· I was intending to get that squeezed into v1.06, but decided I needed to get the serial port management feature in the publics hands sooner rather than later.
    Ken·Peterson·said...
    So what exactly is new with 1.06?· Is it just the com port issue?··Are there any other fixes or added features?
    Mainly added extensive serial port management features for users, added awareness of serial port arrival/departures (virtual serial ports), enhanced some error handling related to serial communications, and a few other·background things.· Check out the info link on the downloads page for more.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.
  • SapiehaSapieha Posts: 2,964
    edited 2008-01-24 05:02
    Hi Jeff.

Thanks for Com capabilities.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Nothing is impossible, there are only different degrees of difficulty.

Sapieha
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2008-01-25 18:13
    Paul Baker (Parallax) said...

(msg deleted to serve as·my somewhat targeted·Parallax hook -f)

Kudos on the new web download page and it's version information webpage.

Looks ready for prime time.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2008-01-25 19:09
    1.06 working fine on my Vista x64 box. Actually, it looks exactly the same to me... Just wish they'd add bookmarks to the manual... I had to copy my bookmarked version into the program folder again...
  • StellanLStellanL Posts: 2
    edited 2008-02-01 03:04
    1.06 working great for me on XP SP2. All com port-related weirdnesses have gone away. Thanks!
  • Jeff MartinJeff Martin Posts: 756
    edited 2008-03-26 19:08
    Today we are releasing Propeller Tool v1.1.·

Its serial routines have been "nearly" completely rewritten in order to increase its reliability on systems suffering from too much CPU load.

YES!· For those wondering, this version should get rid of the "Propeller lost on COMx" error when downloading from certain computers under certain load.

In our tests on a number of computers (single-, dual-, and quad-core processors) that were intentionally put at 100% CPU load, it is nearly always able to download a complete Propeller Application to the Propeller Chip!

In addition, some extra work was done to·alleviate a Propeller Tool lock-up when accessing certain ports that are misbehaving, misconfigured, or otherwise not compatible with the Propeller Tool download protocol.· So far, with known problematic devices, we have not been able to get the tool to lock-up when accessing these ports (like the Lynksys USBBT100 Bluetooth adapter's virtual COM ports).

The download for Propeller Tool v1.1 is·available at:

http://www.parallax.com/tabid/442/Default.aspx

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.