Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Newbe communication problem — Parallax Forums

Newbe communication problem

Lars the pilotLars the pilot Posts: 2
edited 2008-01-21 23:45 in Propeller 1
I have assembled my Propstick, and the voltages (3.3V)·read correctly on the Propeller pins.

The problem is I am unable to get any response from the stick at all using my PC. It states "No propeller found" when prompting (using F7). I have checked all my solderings and they look good.

Does the serial cable to my PC·need handshake to make it work?

If I try to communicate using Hyperterminal, is there something that needs to be sent in order for the Propstick to respond back?

What is the baud rate, bit lengths, handshake etc if I want to check the stick using Hyperterminal?

It is frustrating to be stuck at such an early stage.

PS. I plan to use the Propeller for receiving three different serial streams in an aircraft and logging the data, plus also do some data processing/control eventually.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-01-21 23:32
    Any Propeller requires transmit data / receive data and the DTR handshake line (and of course a common ground and 3.3V power) for programming with the Propeller Tool. Without a program present in the Propeller's EEPROM that sends and receives serial data, Hyperterminal is not of any use. Check your serial cable. You should have a "straight through" cable.
  • Lars the pilotLars the pilot Posts: 2
    edited 2008-01-21 23:45
    Thank you

My cable is a commercial "straight-thru" cable (meaning pin 3 to pin 3, pin 2 to pin 2 and pin 5 to pin 5).

I assume the DTR handshake line is on pin 4?· That is assumed to go straight through too, I assume?

Lars