Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Make pdu — Parallax Forums

Make pdu

marclamarcla Posts: 19
edited 2008-03-15 15:09 in Propeller 1
Hello!
I want to send an sms via a cellphone controled by a propeller (The cellphone uses at-commands).
But how do i convert the sms text and phone nummber in·to PDU.

/Martin C
Sweden

Comments

• stevenmess2004stevenmess2004 Posts: 1,102
    edited 2008-01-22 10:47
    Marcla, what is PDU? I believe that you can get phone modules from sparkfun or someone else that let you do this kind of thing.

Steven
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-01-22 19:18
    PDU is simply a packing scheme for an SMS message to be sent, an entirely software problem. A simple search of Google on "SMS PDU" will provide huge quantities of information.

The first on such a search to appear is ... www.dreamfabric.com/sms
  • aladasaladas Posts: 18
    edited 2008-03-15 15:09
    Martin - are you still interested in this? I have been doing some work on these lines -since it seems really useful for a lot of projects that the stamp should be able to report anything from unnatural sensor conditions, low battery status or GPS whereabouts to its owner on the owner's phone. I was able to get in among my own cellphone's modem functions and discovered it is happy to send SMS under serial control (Bluetooth in my case but a serial cable would do just as well. I found that cellphones may be able to send SMS in text mode or PDU mode - which signifies that the modem demands that you create the special PDU messages - whereas in text mode if supported the modem will just need the phone number and text and does the conversion to PDU internally. Much easier but not available on my phone. So I have been trying to get my head around the process of generating PDUs. So far I am using VB in MS-Access and am still stuck - 80% of the way so not yet ready to try to replicate it in PBasic. I you or anyone else is interested I would very much like to collaborate on this. I have some good links to the AT commands and how a PDU is built up.