Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Vector graphics on cro — Parallax Forums

Vector graphics on cro

stevenmess2004stevenmess2004 Posts: 1,102
edited 2008-01-22 09:35 in Propeller 1
This is a project that I did with a friend for a tafe course. It displays pictures on a CRO in x-y mode.

Comments

• OzStampOzStamp Posts: 377
    edited 2008-01-21 10:04
    Hi
    Got to see your doing well with the Prop..
    How did you get the signal onto the cro via composite video input on the CRO

Ron Nollet
  • stevenmess2004stevenmess2004 Posts: 1,102
    edited 2008-01-21 10:11
    Nope, I have a proto board with some wire-wrap sockets on the output pins. I put the resistors into the appropiate pins and and wound the ends together. Then I just used CRO leads with alligator clips and clamped them onto the ends of the resistors. It was the probably the dodgiest setup you have ever seen but it worked like a dream.

Steven
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2008-01-21 12:23
    Nice Job.
    Now if you wanted to be REALLY retro you could make pong. I'd love to see that on a oscilloscope.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    www.iElectronicDesigns.com

·
  • Nick MuellerNick Mueller Posts: 815
    edited 2008-01-21 13:21
    Take this one as a reference as how far you can get. smile.gif

<http://www.timefracture.org/vectclk.html&gt;

Nick, not wanting to make your job look bad!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Never use force, just go for a bigger hammer!

The DIY Digital-Readout for mills, lathes etc.:
    YADRO
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2008-01-21 15:52
    Steven, how about a photo of the dodgiest setup ever?
  • mparkmpark Posts: 1,305
    edited 2008-01-22 03:43
    What's with the gaps (like the band of darkness through the eyes)? Any explanation?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Michael Park

PS, BTW, and FYI:
    To search the forum, use search.parallax.com (do not use the Search button).
    Check out the Propeller Wiki: propeller.wikispaces.com/
  • VIRANDVIRAND Posts: 656
    edited 2008-01-22 05:22
    I would assume the gaps are caused by low precision resistors in the DAC, right?
    In which case using the 1K and 2K resistor ladder DAC method would probably help.
    I disassembled a small TV to tinker with like VECTREX but didn't finish anything interesting on it yet.
  • stevenmess2004stevenmess2004 Posts: 1,102
    edited 2008-01-22 09:35
    Unfourtantly I don't have a photo of it :-(

Nick, I like that clock. I'm glad I didn't have to design the board for the vector graphics generator. Its so much easier with a Prop.

The gaps are because the resistor values I was using at that stage were not exactly the right values. We just used the closest value that we had and then changed them if necessary (such as 1k2 instead of 1k). This got rid of the most visible gaps. I was going to make a text driver for it but I run out of time.

Bean, I thought about doing something like Pong but I run out of time and I don't have a cro to test it on at home. Otherwise I'd probably do it.

Steven