Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
ETA on propeller development board — Parallax Forums

ETA on propeller development board

medelmanmedelman Posts: 21
edited 2008-08-19 21:02 in Propeller 1
Not sure on the exact name of it, but I was wondering if there is an ETA on the development board (the larger one with a breadboard and other things around the outside of it) for the propeller. I received the email from parallax about it a little while ago, but I accidentally deleted that message.

Matt

Comments

• HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2008-01-20 22:50
    Matt,

From the vague description ('the larger one' and 'a little while ago') might you be referring to the ProtoBoard? Check out this link
    www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/PropellerDevelopmentBoards/tabid/514/CategoryID/73/List/0/Level/a/ProductID/423/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName%2cProductName
    Hope this helps...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2008-01-20 23:16
    No, I believe he's referring to the Propeller Professional Development Board. It was spotted in the 2008 Parallax catalog parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/cat/2008ParallaxCatalog.pdf a few weeks ago by another forum member.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio

PropNIC - Add ethernet ability to your Propeller!

SD card Adapter
    855 x 489 - 99K
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-01-20 23:25
    I'll check with the product owner tomorrow to see where we are in the cycle, and yes he's asking about the PPDB.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2008-01-21 00:01
    Ah! I didn't realize a catalog download was in existance. Thanks Brian.

Nice catalog, Parallax. And nice prototyping board.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2008-01-21 00:30
    Hello,

We’re pretty close to having these manufactured. Many of the IC packages are QFN and we are taking steps to prevent manufacturing issues related to these packages. Once we’re past that point we should start getting some within 6-8 weeks. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2008-01-21 04:48
    Once they are available for ordering/pre-ordering they will show up on our website and something will be posted in the announcements section. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • Farmer ScottFarmer Scott Posts: 30
    edited 2008-06-03 15:31
    Any updates to the availability of this board?
    edited 2008-06-03 15:45
    you know....I could bring one of these to the Propeller Expo NE this August. Showing it to all those Propeller enthusiasts will undoubtedly
    lead to greater interest and thus higher sales...... smilewinkgrin.gif
  • Mike CookMike Cook Posts: 829
    edited 2008-06-03 18:59

Hope they end up being in the sub $100 range so I can afford to have a few laying around for quick circuit hook ups. The Demo board is ok for quick simple projects but having the extra features and larger 'real estate' would be handy. Proto Boards are handy for one off permanent circuits.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike
    edited 2008-06-03 19:46
    I would doubt the "sub $100" price. The similar "Professional development board" without a Propeller and related parts onboard is currently priced at $149
    So with the Propeller, I'd figure it will be more expensive, but still I'm sure quite worth it based upon what is included.

Further speculation I shall leave to a Parallax Employee.....

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio - the modular Development system for the Propeller

PropNIC - Add ethernet ability to your Propeller! PropJoy - Plug in a joystick and play some games!

SD card Adapter - mass storage for the masses Audio/Video adapter add composite video and sound to your Proto Board
    edited 2008-08-14 21:18
    New!·Propeller Professional Development Board

···· ·attachment.php?attachmentid=55130

The Propeller Professional Development Board (PPDB)·is a high-quality, fully-integrated development platform for the Propeller microcontroller.· A wide variety of typical I/O (LEDs, Buttons, etc.) devices and circuitry are built into the PPDB, providing the developer with an ideal platform for rapid Propeller project development.

For more information, or to purchase the board (#32111), visit http://www.parallax.com/tabid/134/List/1/ProductID/515/Default.aspx·.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2008-08-14 22:04
    Awesome! I want!

I guess there was no room for an SD socket? That would have been sweet.

And of course 32K rather than 64K EEPROM; probably the 64K parts were too pricey?

In any case, this is immediately going on my wish list, and we'll talk with Susie Q tonight.

Is there any chance Parallax can sell me some additional hours in the day? *That's*
    what I really need.
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2008-08-14 22:14
    A few minor typos:

"... breadboard it I a good idea ... ": I -> is

bus/buss; both are used as the singular of busses; either is fine, but both is inconsistent.
    I prefer bus.

Connection Diagrams are (as yet) missing.

I like it though. We need someone to write some code that lights this thing up like a
    Christmas tree.

Does the schematic permit connection of one of the pots to act as a volume control
    for the audio amplifier? The pots are probably linear, which is less than optimal for
    volume control, but better than nothing.
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-08-14 22:28
    What an awesome board! Shame they couldn't have fit the SD connection..
    Been nice if they could have sub-$100 this product, but understandably priced!

Way to go Parallax.. yup.. going on my wishlist too..

May have to buy one and incorporate it into my book in the works.
    There's justification for purchase!

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with a Propeller Protoboard?
    Check out: Introduction to the Proboard & Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card connected? - PropDOS
  • RsadeikaRsadeika Posts: 3,837
    edited 2008-08-14 22:43
    The board looks very good, having said that, I think it is short a key component, an SD socket. I think I could live with only, maybe two push buttons, or maybe just a couple of built in LEDs. All of the comments that we have had on this board, I think people are·expecting an SD socket, as a given.
  • Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2008-08-15 00:10
    Nice to see this product come out. The line up of Propeller Tools and accessories is filling out nicely!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter, E.I.

www.brilldea.com·- Prop Blade, LED Painter, RGB LEDs, uOLED-IOC, eProto fo SunSPOT, BitScope
    www.sxmicro.com - a blog·exploring the SX micro
    www.tdswieter.com
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-08-15 02:06
    This looks like a very nicely thought-out and beautifully-executed development tool. Congrats to the Parallax design team!

To those who yearned for an SD socket: Perceived deficiences (glass half empty) can also be looked at as opportunities (glass half full). There are plenty of holes available to plug in an SD socket daughterboard!

-Phil

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Still some PropSTICK Kit bare PCBs left!
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-08-15 05:21
    It looks like the EEPROM can be removed and replaced when worn out. Correct? The same with the other chip on the right hand side...
  • PraxisPraxis Posts: 333
    edited 2008-08-15 07:34
    Excellent, 10 Points.
  • JavalinJavalin Posts: 892
    edited 2008-08-15 08:10
    Parallax, all,

Why are the DIP switches and the push buttons active-low? This seems bizzare to me - surely the convention is active-high?

Otherwise i'd probably have bought one...!

James
  • parskoparsko Posts: 501
    edited 2008-08-15 13:24
    VERY nice!!! Everything one could want to get started, but for $160 and not including a Prop... (grumble grumble) Maybe the first 100 you sell you could include one for free??? That seems like a silly decision.

-Parsko
    edited 2008-08-15 13:31
    Ok, 12 hours later and I'm still salivating over this...

@Parallax: Any chance we could get Paul to bring a few of these with him to the Expo for sale?
    (If I order it today, it will arrive at about the same time.)

Either way, one of these will be on my desk very soon... [noparse]:)[/noparse]

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

edited 2008-08-15 14:34
    Let’s see if I can address everyone’s questions and comments…

@rokicki
    Yes 32K is standard, but the 64K EEPROM is socket compatible if you should desire to use it in place of the stock 32K unit. Price wasn’t so much an issue as availability (long term) for DIP (through hole) EEPROMs. 24LC256 are more common and widely available. Busses can be set up any way you want. You don’t have to follow any convention on the breadboards. Which connection diagrams are you referring to? Schematics are linked on the product page for download, as well as documentation. The potentiometers were not intended for use as a volume control, but could technically be used if needed. You would have to use one for each channel in that sense.

@rokicki, Oldbitcollector, Rsadeika
    When we were testing and developing with the SD Card Readers we obtained units from Sparkfun which had a SIP header and were able to connect them right into the breadboard no problem. SD Card Readers have a mechanical component to them. It seemed better to connect it to the breadboard. The units we have used are very small and take up little real-estate on the breadboard.

@SRLM
    Yes, the EEPROM and L293D are in a socket and can be removed/replaced as needed.

@Javalin
    Actually the more common connection (in my experience) is active-low on push-button inputs. I think this started with the fact that many electronic chips/circuits use active low schemes for such inputs as /RESET, /CS, etc. Devices controlling these circuits can often sink more current than they can source allow more inputs to be driven and more immunity to noise. Noise immunity is especially important in mechanical switches and allows compatibility with open-source/open-collector circuits on the same net.

@Parsko
    Putting a Propeller on-board is just one step toward including cables, power supply, etc. At this point you have a kit rather than a board. I think most customers who will purchase the board will have everything else already. They are already developing with DIP Propeller chips, which mean they also have power supply and USB cables. This keeps cost down for everyone.

@Everyone
    A lot of time and changes went into this board over time. It is our sincerest hope that Propeller Developers find it useful tool for their bench. We of course welcome and value customer comments even when they don’t necessarily lead to a change in a product. Take care everyone!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • JavalinJavalin Posts: 892
    edited 2008-08-15 14:47
    Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply. Perhaps an option for version 1.1 would be a SPDT switch to control pullup-pulldown then we'd have the options!

Cheers,

James
    edited 2008-08-19 15:33
    I'd prefer not to have to carry a bank roll, but if anyone going to the NE expo wants to order a Propeller Professional Development Board·today or tomorrow (8/19 and 8/20), you can tell sales that you want it delivered to the EXPO and I will carry it with me. I can probably do this for about a half dozen people. Sorry I can't do this with any additional products, I have to fit everything in my carry on luggage.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Paul Baker (Parallax)) : 8/19/2008 3:48:18 PM GMT
    edited 2008-08-19 15:46
    This may be an unusual request, but is there a chance we could get a snapshot
    of the bottom of this unit? I'm thinking that if this is like most Parallax stuff, we
    can access the soldered connections underneath for mods.

Can someone at Parallax verify this?

Thanks
    OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

edited 2008-08-19 17:36
    Yes they are accessable, here is a rather crummy picture of the back of the board:

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
    1600 x 1200 - 648K
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2008-08-19 20:15
    OBC will have four of the Propeller Professional Development Boards to hand out at the UPNE Expo this weekend.

Ken Gracey
    edited 2008-08-19 21:02
    Ken let the cat out of the Bag! [noparse]:)[/noparse]

These are the four "mystery" items that I mentioned in the Expo thread. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Thanks Ken!

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?