Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
OS X or Linux support for Propeller? — Parallax Forums

OS X or Linux support for Propeller?

Kevin HortonKevin Horton Posts: 21
edited 2008-01-21 02:59 in Propeller 1
I searched for "OS X" in the forum, and didn't get any hits, strangely enough, so I'll pose the question directly.

I'm running OS X 10.5 on an Intel iMac, and wish to learn what options I have to develop software for the Propeller, without installing Windows (I don't want to spend the time and money to purchase Windows, plus anti-virus, plus anti-malware, plus learn what I need to do to keep Windows from getting infected with crud). Will the Propeller IDE work under Wine? Are there any third party or open source IDE solutions available? I've got Ubuntu Linux installed with VMWare Fusion, so Linux solutions are also of interest to me.

Thanks,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Kevin Horton
Ottawa, Canada

Comments

• paulmacpaulmac Posts: 51
    edited 2008-01-20 00:15
    Aha. Another victim of the forums search button.

Parallax has a Google appliance available to search their sites. This isn't obvious yet.

Trying inurl:f=25 "OS X" will give you some results. I haven't had a chance to have a look through though.

There's also Graham Stabler's Good Thread Index, check out "Non windows development" a wee bit down the post.

Post Edited (paulmac) : 1/20/2008 12:23:08 AM GMT
  • Kevin HortonKevin Horton Posts: 21
    edited 2008-01-20 01:03
    Thanks for all the info. I'll digest all that and come back if I need some help interpreting the situation.

If the forum search function is flawed, does Parallax intend to fix it?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Kevin Horton
    Ottawa, Canada
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-01-20 01:17
    There has been some discussion of what would be involved in fixing the search function. It sounds much more difficult than one would think and, although Parallax would like to fix it, would take enough work that it's relatively low on the priority list for the very limited resources there.

Really the only practical way to do Propeller development at the moment is to run Windows or equivalent under the MacOS and/or Linux. I've been able to run the Propeller Tool with some problems using CodeWeavers' commercial version of Wine. It doesn't seem to run under just Wine and appears to need some of the DLLs that come with the commercial package. I normally run Windows XP under Parallels Desktop and MacOS 10.5.1.
  • Kevin HortonKevin Horton Posts: 21
    edited 2008-01-20 14:12
    Mike Green said...
    Really the only practical way to do Propeller development at the moment is to run Windows or equivalent under the MacOS and/or Linux. I've been able to run the Propeller Tool with some problems using CodeWeavers' commercial version of Wine. It doesn't seem to run under just Wine and appears to need some of the DLLs that come with the commercial package. I normally run Windows XP under Parallels Desktop and MacOS 10.5.1.
    OK. I wish things were different, but they are what they are.

The Propeller really looks like the right base for my project, so I'll accept the fact that I'll probably have to purchase Windows and figure out how to keep it clean. Ugh.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Kevin Horton
    Ottawa, Canada
  • paulmacpaulmac Posts: 51
    edited 2008-01-21 02:59
    Kevin, there are free tools that do a reasonable job of keeping Windows clean. The best solution is not to connect it to the internet!

I use AVG free for virus protection and spyware protection. I used ZoneAlarm for a firewall until I got my Linux firewall setup.

I don't know how effective these products are, but the price is right for an OS I don't really want to have around.

EDIT: I'm not Microsoft bashing, I don't have much use for their product.

Post Edited (paulmac) : 1/22/2008 11:01:54 AM GMT