Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Want some SOIC to DIP adapters? — Parallax Forums

Want some SOIC to DIP adapters?

PhilldapillPhilldapill Posts: 1,283
edited 2008-01-18 06:10 in Propeller 1
I love the TI sample program(and other generous companies). You can get so many high quality chips for nothing; not even shipping! The only problem is that many times, the only samples, or IC made for that matter, is in a package other than DIP which most hobbiests use. A couple years ago, I found a website that does PCB manufacturing for a very fair price. They charge a flat $15 setup fee for an order, plus a price per unit area of board. All in all, if you are making small, mass produced boards it's cheap.

This brings me to the point of the post. I'd love to get a handfull of tiny IC adapter PCB's made. All sorts of formats would be great. The only thing is, I don't want to pay the $15 for 10-15 0.8" x 0.5" boards. Some are even smaller... I looked at the pricing, and if some of us combined an order for, say 100 boards total, we could get them for $0.45 each, with solder mask. Without solder mask, about $0.33 each. That price is for a 14 pin SOIC to 14 pin DIP board I've designed. I can design virtually any singlesided adapter for free. If you just tell me what adapter boards you want and how many, we can collectively get the price down even more. Just tell me what you want and I'll add it to the order, then you can just send me a paypal payment for the board area you used. e.g. If you wanted 20 of the boards mentioned above, that's 0.8" x 0.5" x 20 boards x average price per square inch for the order. The more we order, the cheaper this will be.

I'm not looking for a profit at all. I just think we're all doing hobby work for the most part and can always use an adapter or two for very cheap.

By the way, if you guys know of any other premaid source for DIP adapter PCB's, let me know! Oh, and here is a link to the website. They are also a great source for parts.

http://futurlec.com/PCBService.shtml

Comments

• OzStampOzStamp Posts: 377
    edited 2008-01-17 04:29
    Hi

When you buy a PropBus system you get one of those adapters ..
    http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&m=227915
    see picture on the right ..

We could route a panel on our CNC PCB machine and probably get 40-50 out of a panel.
    If there is aneough interest coudl easily do that ..

let me know

cheers ron mel oz..
  • Mike HuseltonMike Huselton Posts: 746
    edited 2008-01-17 04:31
    See this:
    http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=494

Many more, but you will get the drift.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    JMH
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-01-17 06:06
    www.futurlec.com/SMD_Adapters.shtml

Sell a variety of SMD to DIP at $0.50 to $0.90
  • DroneDrone Posts: 433
    edited 2008-01-17 14:48
    These Futurelec SMD_Adapters (thanks Hippy) are indeed affordable. However they don't provide any info about the pins needed to solder into the DIP holes. This is a common problem; SparkFun - same, & I pointed SparkFun to some sources for pins (unfortunately not small quantity affordable) and they said they would look into it, nothing back since. I sent an email to Futurelec asking them about pins to go with these adapters, let's see if they reply. I've said this before elsewhere in this forum: The Prop-Plug at $30 USD is (ouch) a problem, especially (for-example) educational labs that have many propellers in one room, one Prop-Plug for each student station. Unless the build cost is outrageous (may be due to the small size of the Prop-Plug), just looking at the parts costs for the Prop-Plug plus reasonable assembly in volumes that Parallax must have seems to result in a very high profit margin for Prop-Plug. I wish Parallax would drop the included USB retractable cable ($5 USD on it's own from Parallax) from the Prop-Plug purchase as well. I can get these retractable cables for around $2 USD retail out here in SE Asia.

Anyone have suggestions for pins to go with the www.futurlec.com/SMD_Adapters.shtml adapters in small quantity? The pins should be able to plug into standard DIP sockets (not like wire-wrap pins that can stress proto-plug-boards due to their width).

Regards, David
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2008-01-17 16:18
    I use ordinary turned-pin SIL socket strip for that sort of thing. The pins have two ends, one fits into a standard turned-pin socket and the other is wide enough for the holes in the adaptor. Everyone sells them, including Farnell and RS.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
    Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle
  • JonKoppJonKopp Posts: 12
    edited 2008-01-17 17:46
    Is passing a header straight through not an option? If you got the leads long enough, you could access the pins from on top as well during tests by just plugging in.

Mill Max does have some nice offerings, but as you said of your source, they seem to only offer these in bulk. It'll be nice when someone finally offers ALL prototyping raw materials in one place, in individual quantities, and at hobbyist prices. One can dream, no?

Good luck.
  • PhilldapillPhilldapill Posts: 1,283
    edited 2008-01-17 17:52
    Yeah, I wondered that too. It looks like you could just slip a simple set of header pins up through the bottom, solder them to the pads, then solder the chip in place on top. That's how I thought these work anyway. Oh, and hippy... Yeah, I totally forgot Futurlec makes those already! Ironic that I talk about using them to make them and it turns out they have them already in stock.
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-01-17 18:52
    LOL @ the irony ... I hadn't noticed they were the same smile.gif
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-01-17 21:20
    Drone said...
    I've said this before elsewhere in this forum: The Prop-Plug at $30 USD is (ouch) a problem, especially (for-example) educational labs that have many propellers in one room, one Prop-Plug for each student station. Unless the build cost is outrageous (may be due to the small size of the Prop-Plug), just looking at the parts costs for the Prop-Plug plus reasonable assembly in volumes that Parallax must have seems to result in a very high profit margin for Prop-Plug. I wish Parallax would drop the included USB retractable cable ($5 USD on it's own from Parallax) from the Prop-Plug purchase as well. I can get these retractable cables for around $2 USD retail out here in SE Asia.
    We are developing a USB based Protoboard for this very reason (education programs). In 1 to 1 quanities it will be cheaper (USB Protoboard vs. Protoboard + Prop-Plug), but once you drop it to a 3 to 1 quantity (3 Protoboards + 1 Prop-Plug) the USB Protoboard becomes more expensive.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • kevin101kevin101 Posts: 55
    edited 2008-01-18 02:39
    There a bunch of smt adapters called surfboards. You can get them on Digikey for a few dollars. Fry's Electronics also has a bunch of surfboards and adapters for those of you lucky enough to live near one. Also, Aries electronics (Digikey) sells soic adapters up to 28 pins, but they are kinda expensive ($10).

search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=28-650000-10-P-ND
    search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=9163CA-ND
    640 x 640 - 271K
    640 x 640 - 88K
  • Jimmy W.Jimmy W. Posts: 112
    edited 2008-01-18 06:10
    hippy said...
    www.futurlec.com/SMD_Adapters.shtml

Sell a variety of SMD to DIP at $0.50 to $0.90

I love you hippy, these look great! Don't forget the check out there PLCC adapters too, quite affordable and decent prices on ziff sockets too.

Too bad I just ordered a bunch of adapters from sparkfun last week......

Jimmy

PS who wanted the candy bar sized DIL? "84 pins enough for you?" [noparse]:)[/noparse] PLCC_Adapter_84.jpg