Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
want an opinion — Parallax Forums

want an opinion

scienceguy75scienceguy75 Posts: 1
edited 2008-01-17 06:20 in Propeller 1
i am looking to buy the propeller pe kit, i have experience with the boe bot which is hardly ever used as a robot, i was wondering what everybody thought of them, especially, how easy is it to learn the code if i already know PBASIC, and does anyone here use servos with it, and how hard is it to write a code for servos

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-01-17 05:00
    Spin is quite different from PBasic although there is a BS2 compatibility library which implements many of the special statements in PBasic as subroutine calls in Spin. Have a look in the Propeller Object Exchange for this and for several servo control objects.

There is a simple Basic interpreter that is intended for use controlling a BoeBot - also in the Object Exchange (BoeBotBasic). This was originally developed with the Spin Stamp and ran on a BoeBot. It handles the servos, a PING))) with the servo bracket and IR distance sensors. With some extra parts, it can handle an HM-55 compass, SD card (for storing data and programs), and xBee wireless control link.

The "Roaming with the BoeBot" demonstration was rewritten to run in this Basic.
  • mosquito56mosquito56 Posts: 387
    edited 2008-01-17 05:16
    · Greatest thing since sliced bread and only 12.95, you'll love it. I got the education kit last month. Learned more electronics here in a month then electronics school in military that was a year.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Hmm, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"

······· "No such thing as a dumb question" unless it's on the internet
    ········"What happens in Vegas ends up on the Internet"

Technologically challenged individual, Please have pity.
  • DgswanerDgswaner Posts: 795
    edited 2008-01-17 05:17
    I made the same jump about 4 months ago. definitely make the jump. the hardest thing about learning Spin is letting go of the Pbasic. I made it a goal to only use the Pbasic object as a last resort. with in 4 months I have my whole bot working on it hb25's servos, PING switching transistors. the works.

the object part is really cool too. I started a big huge explanation about them....but I didn't want to go on and on if your not ready. let me know if your interested in it and if so I'll tell you.

but in short! make the jump. I've barely touched what the stamp can do and I'm glad I made the move! I can already do everything I could do on a stamp, and more.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "A complex design is the sign of an inferior designer." - Jamie Hyneman, Myth Buster

DGSwaner
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,260
    edited 2008-01-17 05:25
    The Propeller is probably the most fun chip I've ever worked with. Lots of options, and it's robust too. Do it. It's good now, and only gonna get better over time.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller Wiki: Share the coolness!
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-01-17 05:58
    Dgswaner said...
    the object part is really cool too. I started a big huge explanation about them....but I didn't want to go on and on if your not ready. let me know if your interested in it and if so I'll tell you.

Sounds like something which would be an excellent addition to the Propeller Wiki.

propeller.wikispaces.com/
  • Cats92Cats92 Posts: 149
    edited 2008-01-17 06:20
    I quit the basic stamp for the Propeller 6 month before and dont regret it. The propellel is faster , you can control servos while you read IR detectors or RF messages: deplacements of the robot are much smoother. I like the pe kit because you can test a lot of things by connecting and deconnecting components.

Read carefully the propeller manual and look at the code exemples on the forum.

Good luck!