Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
HYDRA Book Project Update — Parallax Forums

HYDRA Book Project Update

AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
edited 2008-02-05 09:03 in Propeller 1
We have about 5-6 confirmed authors now for the book project, we are looking for 15+ authors, so we are getting there. But, there is some good news and some clarifications:

1. The idea of the book is to show off how to do advanced graphics and audio on the HYDRA. Of course articles that takes special advantage of the HYDRA's memory card etc. are appreciated, but not required. That said, the book is really about the propeller chip at its fundamental level, so the demos should run if possible on both the HYDRA and the propeller demo board with a couple constants changed. That said, if you do NOT have a hydra, but want to write still, you can do that as long as you verify the code will work on HYDRA and from the reader's point of view the hydra was the main platform. The idea is we want people with other propeller boards to be able to use most of the code as well. But, if you have a killer demo that requires the 512K card then that's a good reason for the reader to buy a HYDRA!

2. Parallax has commited to collaborating on the project with Nurve and the first 10 authors that complete and submit their materials all 100% ready for print will be given a $250 bonus WHEN the book prints. So this is a little incentive and to make the project competitive a little bit get authors to finish their work in a reasonable amount of time. Authors will still of course get their royalty share from the sales of the book.

3. We will probably start working on the book at the end of the month. So if you're interested in being part of the project, just email me at ceo@nurve.net and or leave a note here on in the sticky thread in the hydra forum.

Thanks,

Andre'
·

Comments

• phillip vphillip v Posts: 48
    edited 2008-01-27 21:18
    I was looking around the propeller chip forum when a found this....
    http://forums.parallax.com/forums/attach.aspx?a=16256
    I found this to be a real eye opener and very easy to read, I think it shude be in the new hydra book... but thats up to you and Doug Dingus (potatohead)
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2008-01-27 22:21
    YEs, that's nice. I will have to email doug and ask for permission to add it as an appendix on CD or something.

Andre'
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2008-02-05 09:03
    FYI - tommorowish I will be sending out license agreements for royalty payments, along with a sample template to all our authors for the new book. If you missed this post and want to be an author, there is still time. I want to have the book done in 3-4 months at most. So that means anytime from now till then you can jump in and write a chapter. Just contact me. Please read the main sticky post about the book contents etc.

Andre'