Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
UK Propers - Which Parallax parts to stock? — Parallax Forums

UK Propers - Which Parallax parts to stock?

simonlsimonl Posts: 866
edited 2008-01-16 16:46 in Propeller 1
As you may know, I've been talking about setting-up my own UK website to sell Parallax & Sparkfun parts. I'm still a long way from getting that done, but I need to know what the potential demand might be, so...

What Parallax / Sparkfun parts would you most likely want?

I'm also likely to stock some XBee-PRO's too (with chip antenna), so how many would you be interested in?

Prices? Well, they won't be as cheap as the straight USD - GBP conversion, as I'll have to pay VAT & shipping & customs handling, but I'm not looking to make a living out of this (yet!). I still haven't decided on how I'll work-out the prices - much of that depends on demand, which is the reason for this post!

You can either post back here, or PM me smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Cheers,

Simon
www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif

Comments

• Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2008-01-14 14:16
    I'm often buying protoboards and propplugs. The oled module would be on my list to buy.

Graham
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2008-01-14 14:22
    Hi Graham,

Yup, Protoboards will definitely be there smile.gif

Any idea how many of each you'd (theoretically) be interested in?

One thing I need to do is ensure I can sell enough stuff to cover costs - the most crippling being the > $80 for postage! - so the more people who show an interest, the more likely this is to happen.

BTW: I'll also try to order one-off parts if people ask for them, assuming you don't mind waiting for the next shipment wink.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
    BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-01-14 15:28
    I couldn't even guarantee to place an order with you so take this as you wish ...

ProtoBoards, obviously.
    The ProtoBoard VGA+PS/2 kit AFAIK isn't stocked by anyone else in the UK, would be handy
    6MHz drop-in crystals
    Sparkfun break-out boards for XBee ( 2mm to 0.1" conversion ), plus 2mm sockets.

I'd sometime like to have a play with a cheap and easy to connect to graphic LCD module, preferably colour.
  • geokonstgeokonst Posts: 48
    edited 2008-01-14 15:32
    I would be very interested. I guess protoboards would be a best seller but I tend to buy lots of other stuff with my orders such as memories, sensors even pin headers. Don't neglet the small stuff [noparse]:)[/noparse].
    I beleive the accelerometers and compasses from sparkfun would be a must.
  • ColeyColey Posts: 1,110
    edited 2008-01-14 16:35
    Hi simonl

It would be protoboard for me. but much like Hippy I couldn't guarantee when or how many.
    Digikey have the VGA PS/2 connector and are cheap on shipping (free for orders over £100)

Don't be put off though, I think it is an excellent idea and next time I order anything from Digikey I will give you a shout!

Regards,

Coley
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2008-01-14 16:55
    I recently bought a 5 pack for work purposes so I can't say when or how many, just trying to give you an idea of the kind of things I go for.

Graham
    edited 2008-01-14 17:06
    Hey, thanks for the feedback everyone.

I'll clearly be getting Protoboards! I'll also try and get the VGA/Kbd/Mouse connector too.

I'm still trying to work-out how to achieve this on my website, but I'm hoping to enable you to order stuff I don't stock too - problem is how to keep it simple and secure.

I think I'll need a few more people to respond before this looks like it's worthwhile tho'...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    edited 2008-01-15 15:48
    Use paypal! If you sell stuff from thinkgeek too your site will become my #1 UK favourite [noparse]:D[/noparse]. I think picaxes are hot too because of their price but rev-ed is a good distributor of these already.
    edited 2008-01-15 15:56
    Yeah - thinkgeek's got some tempting stuff hasn't it! It's a bit removed from the type of stuff I want to do, but I might consider it if there's enough interest.

As for PayPal - I was actually thinking of using GoogleCheckout instead, as their fees are lower. Would that be a problem to anyone?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    edited 2008-01-16 16:46
    Not a problem with me. Used it before and it was fast to checkout.