Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
TelBBSing with a Propeller — Parallax Forums

TelBBSing with a Propeller

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
edited 2008-01-16 03:33 in Propeller 1
[noparse][[/noparse]For those who have an PropNIC (or equiv) ETHERNET connection to their Propeller]

I've been working on the core for a color terminal & BBS system for the Propeller.

I've got the initial code for the terminal working *Propcomm ETHERNET Edition*

It is PETSCII color compatible with existing Commodore telnet BBS systems,
and has a couple you can try in it's configuration. Configure the code in "PropcommETH" to
the correct settings for your network, as well as the I/O location of your Ethernet connection.

Start the program and use F1 to select your "destination" and F4 to connect.
When connected choose the options for PETSCII. (if asked)

Have fun and enjoy! The Propeller COLOR BBS side is next.

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
New to the Propeller?

Getting started with the Protoboard? - Propeller Cookbook
Got an SD card? - PropDOS
A Living Propeller FAQ - The Propeller Wiki
(Got the Knowledge? Got a Moment? Add something today!)

Comments

• DroneDrone Posts: 433
    edited 2008-01-14 14:21
    I haven't looked at the code yet, but a quick question - is there support for some sort of public and open dynmic DNS (if not, planned)? I still think this is a key requirement for something that connects propellers across the public internet.

Regards, David
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-01-14 21:34
    I don't see this as a complex problem..

Many dynamic DNS systems are compatible with web-based link for DNS record updating.
    (A simple task for the propeller -- Adding it to my list for the BBS end)

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with the Protoboard? - Propeller Cookbook
    Got an SD card? - PropDOS
    A Living Propeller FAQ - The Propeller Wiki
    (Got the Knowledge? Got a Moment? Add something today!)

• DroneDrone Posts: 433
    edited 2008-01-15 19:24
    OBC,

A simple way to get around an ISP's changing a client's IP address periodically is to have an external Web server that supports SSI (Server Side Includes), to return the client's IP address. This is easy if you write your own client code on a non-embedded PC platform using the likes of Perl:LWP with the retun parsed using regular expressions. But this is a custom solution. Getting Propeller to understand the IP resolution from the likes of OpenDNS (recommended, now offering dynamic DNS resolution) may require a bit more work (oh how I wish upcoming-promised C envornments for Propeller support Regular Expressions).

Is there an RFC for dynamic DNS resolution? Hmm....

David
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-01-16 03:33
    RFC 2136 - "Dynamic Updates in the Domain Name System (DNS UPDATE)" but it doesn't mean that everyone follows that mechanism.

Simpler systems can be implemented much as Dave suggests above. A HTTP GET with user identification ( and password if desired ) is enough for a server to know that user now has the IP address they are currently using. That's enough for the server to be able to redirect HTTP GET's for that that user via the server ( http://www.someserver.com/username ) to the IP address it thinks the user has. Everything else is just an extension of that.

It shouldn't be too hard for someone to code-up and put a suitable DDNS server online if other DDNS services are too complicated to interface to.