Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
A tighter VM loop for LMMs - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

A tighter VM loop for LMMs

2»

Comments

• Ken PetersonKen Peterson Posts: 806
    edited 2008-03-28 21:11
    I just ran across this thread and was intrigued about Phil's thought about using PHSA for the PC. I didn't read the rest of the thread in detail, but I didn't see anyone mentioning the use of PHSA anymore. If you set FRQA to -4, couldn't you still use PHSA for a PC and reverse-execute the program? Seems the execution loop might be simpler then.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

The more I know, the more I know I don't know.· Is this what they call Wisdom?
  • hinvhinv Posts: 1,253
    edited 2008-03-29 00:32
    Hi Phil,

What scope do you use? I really like your trace images, and I am hoping that they were easy to get from the scope.
    What is the hightest bandwidth you are getting from hub memory to cogram?

Thanks,
    Doug
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2008-06-09 17:35
    Hi All,

I have just been contemplating overlays and came across this thread.

My thoughts were to use short routines that can be loaded as an overlay when required, but compiles as a normal cog object. The idea is you have an initialisation overlay, that sets the scene for overlaying (loading routines), followed by separately numbered overlays as other cog objects. Therefore,·the spin complier should function without modification. No code from the routine(s)·is executed while loading the new routine(s).

I have thought about reverse loading but still have not achieved a method that works within the sweet spot. I would have the loaded at the top of cog ram ($1E0-$1EF) or maybe less. To call an overlay would be a simple method of providing the address and length to be loaded and at the end of loading would execute a jump to $0.

This concept is a simpler version as used on Mini-computers in the early 70's, so it's not patentable.

I have included an untested·sample of concept. There is no reason that the overlay has to reside at cog address $0, although it would be·a better standard to use. A lookup table for the overlays would probably be useful as well !

Any suggestions or comments greatly appreciated. confused.gif

Post Edited (Cluso99) : 6/9/2008 5:41:20 PM GMT