Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Public Domain GPS — Parallax Forums

Public Domain GPS

rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
edited 2008-01-14 14:43 in Propeller 1
I don't have anything to say tonight... just needed a forum address for my video[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Comments

• rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2008-01-12 18:17
    The Alpha/Beta is done... it works!!! Having trouble uploading to YouTube...
    working on the docs. Will post it all by tomorrow, for sure.

My implementation uses AppleScript and ImageJ to generate the movie from the Prop-GPS data, do the analysis and generate reports. I would be very interested in seeing how the same sorts of things are done in Windows.

Rich

ILMP
    (I love my Propeller[noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2008-01-13 00:48
    I'm looking forward to finding out what you're talking about! [noparse];)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <FONT>Steve

What's the best thing to do in a lightning storm? "take a one iron out the bag and hold it straight up above your head, even God cant hit a one iron!"
    Lee Travino after the second time being hit by lightning!
    edited 2008-01-13 01:38

looks completely smeared ... looks fine on my computer. Will have to redo...

Rich

Post Edited (rjo_) : 1/14/2008 2:14:01 PM GMT
    edited 2008-01-13 01:39
    Here's what it is supposed to look like[noparse]:)[/noparse]
    648 x 486 - 59K
    edited 2008-01-13 04:59
    This set-up allows programming the Prop on the 96. Once programmed the hook-ups on the right side are no longer necessary... meaning you need the GPS, the 96, one capacitor, one resistor, a 9V power supply and a voltage regulator...

I'm waiting for permission to re-post one of the objects. If I don't get it by tomorrow, I'll archive everything else and just point to the object.

Rich
    1053 x 615 - 76K
    edited 2008-01-13 20:36
    Well, I still haven't heard from one of the authors.· So here is the spin file with directions to the other objects.· I'll be adding project·documentation and a scripting application later.
    edited 2008-01-13 20:39
    oh... I almost forgot. There is an error in the photo... there should be a jumper across the red power rail... otherwise there is no power to the uoled!!!
    edited 2008-01-13 20:40
    AND if you don't have a card in your sd slot... it just sits there looking at you. No error report or anything[noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-01-13 20:54
    The SD card being for GPS lojacking? [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    Now you only need a Google-maps script to read the data from "tour2" and display the route.

I'm toying with the idea of simple line-map data for something like this..

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with the Protoboard? - Propeller Cookbook
    Got an SD card? - PropDOS
    A Living Propeller FAQ - The Propeller Wiki
    (Got the Knowledge? Got a Moment? Add something today!)

• Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2008-01-14 09:50
    in line 30 of uoledgps.spin, correct defaut to default. The link to the gps spin object will then work. http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=655143
    edited 2008-01-14 14:20
    oldbitcollector: this saves a movie as a sequence of images to your default folder... you have to set your keyboard preferences so that the "1" key triggers a screen shot... or change the keystroke line. This is Applescript... so it only works on a mac... would be interested in seeing how it is done in Windows.... AND I think I have figured out how to do it with just a Prop[noparse]:)[/noparse]) and WITHOUT Google Earth.

Applescript:

{code}

set the myfile to choose file
    set mytext to read myfile
    set reading to 1

set myreadings to count paragraphs of mytext
    repeat with i from 1 to myreadings
    set reading to i
    set mylat to word 4 of paragraph reading of mytext as number
    set mylong to word 5 of paragraph reading of mytext as number
    set mylong to -mylong
    set mydistance to 1000
    tell application "Google Earth"
    activate
    set mineinfo to GetViewInfo record
    repeat with x from 1 to 50
    SetViewInfo {latitude:mylat, longitude:mylong, distance:mydistance, tilt:0.0, azimuth:-0.223321732218}

end repeat
    tell application "System Events"
    tell process "Finder"
    keystroke "1"
    end tell
    end tell
    end tell
    end repeat
    activate me

Thanks Fred
    edited 2008-01-14 14:26
    Google Earth has to be running already...

This project is a long way from being done... the biggest problem, which I'll fix first is that it always writes to the same file. There is no menu system...
    Right now I'm generating reports using Applescript... which let's me print from my Mac. I'm planning to replace this with a "home" base station based on a Prop and the uoled 128. I would like a little printer to go with it... and I'm thinking that the ink-jet stuff that Parallax offers looks really good right now...[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Right now, this only allows you to see where the GPS has been...not where it is, so I'm planning to follow some prior advice about adding cell phone support.

Everything is going to be Public Domain... So, if anyone else wants to jump in, everyone is welcome. Printer support would be nice.

Did I mention printer support?

Rich
    edited 2008-01-14 14:30
    By the way... this project is a perfect example of why the Propeller is (or soon will be) an integrator's dream. I'd put this at about a 2 on a scale of difficulty of 10... really simple. The only problems I had are those that I created myself. My guess is that this could have been hacked together in under a day given just the source objects and no prior knowledge of Spin.
    edited 2008-01-14 14:32
    Which I think is a good challenge for interested companies... if you think you might be interested in the Propeller but you are worried about the learning curve... give just the hardware and the supporting objects to a programmer and give him two days to bring you a product prototype... it can be done and if the guy can't do it... hire someone else.
    edited 2008-01-14 14:43
    Fred, et al.

You have to set the pin assignment in Gary's code to prop p18.

Rich